Tremol-No Questions. [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Tremol-No Questions.

Psyler
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I ordered one for the Jr V after two failed attempts at restringing (well sort of failed) And Just watched the Video on you to of how to install it. But I was wondering if the strings would have to be tuned for it to work or would I be able to just install it then tune it and set it up for Trem use If I was going to use it?

I'm kind of leaning toward full blocking using the Tremol-no though :lol:

anyways, any help is much appreciated

‹berschall
05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
My experience (and I am not alone) is that the t-no works fine for full block or dive only, but for full floating doesn't really cut it. If you're going to full block, or dive only, a piece of wood glued in the cavity is cheaper and just as effective.

As for the install of the t-no, yes it has to be in tune to set it up properly, but you'll have to take the strings off to install it. You will replace the middle spring with the t-no, so you'll have to be able to get the spring off.

As for the failed re-stringing... are you trying to do all at once? Meaning, do you take all the strings off and then replace them all? If so, you're doing it wrong. Replace one string at a time, and you'll have no problems.

Psyler
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I was replacing them one at a time, and everytime I got one string tuned the rest would be flat. sometimes by a whole step.

Dive only and full block MIGHT be what I end up trying to do anyways though. I have been playing around with the pulling up on the trem and it just doesnt seem right to me :lol: I dunno though.

HamBungler
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
^ What you do is replace each string individually, then when you go back to tune, tune one string, tune the next, then go back and tune the previous string. Repeat the process on all of the strings till its in tune. This trick saved me when I got my first locking trem-equipped guitar.

‹berschall
05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
If you're coming from the land of fixed bridges, a floyd is going to be a lot more work to get in tune. Each time you replace one string, the rest will be out of tune.

Psyler
05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I've noticed :lol: I have been trying to get a set of 11-56 D'Addarios strung up to Drop C. and have sorta messed with the springs thing in the back to make the bridge level. But it goes to like B or something and the reast of the strings are all closer to GCFAD but not quite there.

Soopahmahn
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Make sure you strings are very thoroughly stretched before you even think about tuning. I spend a couple of minutes tugging on mine, diving the bar, etc.

Start from the bottom by tuning your low string OVER what it should be. If you're going for C, make it at least a D. Then continue up, progressively over-tuning less until you just bring the top string to where it belongs. Check to see where you are, and repeat.

Sometimes it takes me like 45 minutes just to get the damn tuning where I want it. :(

Leon
05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
My Tremol-No works great. The caveat being that I'm mostly a hardtail guy, so the free-floating issues that Matt et al are describing I might simply not notice. All I can tell is that, when it's locked down, it's locked down, and when it's free floating, I can whoop whoop to my heart's content.

Psyler
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Make sure you strings are very thoroughly stretched before you even think about tuning. I spend a couple of minutes tugging on mine, diving the bar, etc.

Start from the bottom by tuning your low string OVER what it should be. If you're going for C, make it at least a D. Then continue up, progressively over-tuning less until you just bring the top string to where it belongs. Check to see where you are, and repeat.

Sometimes it takes me like 45 minutes just to get the damn tuning where I want it. :(

Sounds about right :lol: I had gotten it TO the tuning I wanted Locked it down and tryed to fine tune but had to get the fine tuners all the way down to be even Near what it should have been on each string. One of these days I'll figure the trem out I guess :lol:

My Tremol-No works great. The caveat being that I'm mostly a hardtail guy, so the free-floating issues that Matt et al are describing I might simply not notice. All I can tell is that, when it's locked down, it's locked down, and when it's free floating, I can whoop whoop to my heart's content.

:yesway: Thats what I like to hear :lol: I dobt I'm going to be getting a guitar with a trem for a while anyways (Due to having 3 guitars and my gf wont let me get anymore :lol:) so Hopefully It gets better for me. and if not..Then I guess I'll just lock the fucker down for good :lol:

Desensitised
05-18-2011, 06:12 PM

This..

Anyway, I always take all the stings of at once, give the fretboard and headstock a good clean, and then put new strings on. Never takes longer than 10 minutes tops. (block the bridge before you take them off though)

Just make sure you stretch the strings properly before even trying to tune them. I fret the string on the 24th fret stretching the string very gently and then move to the first fret in increments of 3 or 4 while stretching the string.
If your guitar was setup correctly in the first place and you havent changed to another string gauge I don't see why it would take that long to tune.

Soopahmahn
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I dunno why it takes so long. It's clearly me, the guitar is fine.

Make sure you don't lock down the nut until you're very close to being in tune.

Psyler
05-19-2011, 01:00 AM
^ I try no to do that :lol: And I wasn't sure what string size I had on it first I had frgotten to ask guitar center when I bought it. I'll end up taking it to GC to have them set it up for me after I get the Tremol-no most likely though.

briansol
05-19-2011, 01:20 AM
It took me a good 12 hours and 2 sets of strings to set up my first floyd too, so don't feel bad. :)

It's not bad now that I have the strings on it and the tuning i want on it. string changes take a bit longer, but not much, over fixed. I still prefer fixed though and pretty much always will. I rarely use the trem and prefer a Gibralter/etc style bridge for my palm

Psyler
05-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Yeah I think I gotten it as close as possible to Drp C right now :lol: I would say it was about 12 hours maybe more since I quit in the middle for a while :lol:

Psyler
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
So, I got the tremol-no today and installed it. I think I will keep it on full block for a while.

‹berschall
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
It works well for that!

Psyler
05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
It works well for that!

Yeah I was surpised at how yell it stop the trem from moving :lol: I think I'll probably get these for any other tremmed guitar I may get in the future. :metal: