Mesa Studio 22, DC2, DC3 Comments/Advice [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Mesa Studio 22, DC2, DC3 Comments/Advice

mesh
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I want to start playing with a small tube amp. I have heard about these small 1x12" tube amps from Mesa and was just thrilled when I saw a few of them going on ebay for like $400.

So has anyone tried them out? I went to Mesa in Hollywood and unfortunately they didn't have any small combo amps other than the rectoverbs which is more $$ than I want/need to spend.

MK I recall you had one right? I would be using my digitech gnx3k in the effects loop as pure effects only.

Jeff
09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I want to start playing with a small tube amp. I have heard about these small 1x12" tube amps from Mesa and was just thrilled when I saw a few of them going on ebay for like $400.

So has anyone tried them out? I went to Mesa in Hollywood and unfortunately they didn't have any small combo amps other than the rectoverbs which is more $$ than I want/need to spend.

MK I recall you had one right? I would be using my digitech gnx3k in the effects loop as pure effects only.

The Express 5:25 is their small combo now, available in a head, 1x10, and 1x12. Nice sounding amp! They're only like $1100-$1200 too.

mesh
09-28-2008, 08:57 PM
The Express 5:25 is their small combo now, available in a head, 1x10, and 1x12. Nice sounding amp! They're only like $1100-$1200 too.
Yeha but I am trying to keep it within like $500. Thats the only reason I would be thinking of these amps.

Jeff
09-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeha but I am trying to keep it within like $500. Thats the only reason I would be thinking of these amps.

Oh, then definitely find yourself a Studio .22. Zimbloth has one (don't know if he's here yet). Great little amps, lots o' balls.

Leona
09-28-2008, 10:14 PM
The express amps are weak compared to the F & DC series though.

Id reccomend a DC3 or a studio .22. The DC2 is the same wattage as a Studio .22, but it doesnt have a 5 band EQ on it or anything.

DC3s are great amps, esp. for the price. you can probably snag one for 500$-550$.

budda
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
what about a heartbreaker? arent those combos too?

playstopause
09-29-2008, 12:29 AM
what about a heartbreaker? arent those combos too?

Isn't it more of a "blues" amp though?

Jeff
09-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Isn't it more of a "blues" amp though?

Yeah, it's more of a blues amp than rock and metal. Check this out:

Mesa Boogie Studio 22 Combo 1x12 - eBay (item 140271193443 end time Oct-01-08 12:28:26 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140271193443&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123)

darren
09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I've heard good things about the Caliber series, and i personally quite like the F-30 (and just bought one). For some reason, every 6L6-based non-Recto Mesa/Boogie i've tried has just left me completely unimpressed. But their small EL-84 based amps are awesome. Except for the Express 5:25, which i thought was weak in comparison to the F-30.

Drew
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Darren, if you ever come down this way, you need to spend some time with my Rectoverb setup. It may not sell you on their 6L6 designs (and I dig the EL84 sound too), but a lot of it is just opening them up a bit more and tweaking them right.

That said... The one cautionary word I'll give you, Mesh, is that if by the "Mesa" sound you're thinking a Rectifier, the three amps you've named will probably surprise you and not necessarily in a good way. All three are based a bit more on the Mark-IV school of Mesa than the Recto, so they won't be quite as deep, punishing, crunchy, and in-your-face, but rather will provide a focused, tight, searing saturation. Think Lamb of God rather than Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. It's a GREAT sound, no doubt, but if that kind of crunch is what you're after then either a F-series or a Nomad is the way to go.

darren
09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Drew: I like the Rectos, even the single Recto solo head and i've tried a Rectoverb before as well and quite liked it, though i tend to prefer the punch of closed-back cabs more than open-back combos. But the Nomad, F-50 and Express 5:50 all left me feeling very "meh."

The F-30 will actually get VERY close to Recto territory with the gain cranked and Contour mode enabled. I'm sure that if i push it with a TSovChaos, i'll get it even closer.

Jeff
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I've heard good things about the Caliber series, and i personally quite like the F-30 (and just bought one). For some reason, every 6L6-based non-Recto Mesa/Boogie i've tried has just left me completely unimpressed. But their small EL-84 based amps are awesome. Except for the Express 5:25, which i thought was weak in comparison to the F-30.

I think you'd dig my DC-5. It's extraordinarily versatile. It's definitely not the same tones as the Rectos, however neither is the ROV that Drew has. It doesn't have the same midrange "bounce" the EL84 amps do, but it's definitely more midrangey than the Dual and Triple Recs are, imo.

EDIT

Just saw your post above mine; the DC-5 KILLS the F-50 and 5:50. The 5:50 has a good clean tone and break up tones, but when it comes to all out gain, it's total weak sauce. If they did a Series II 5:50 exactly as it is, but with the DC-5 lead channel, it'd be a great amp.

darren
09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, i've never seen a DC series amp... they seem pretty scarce around here.

Drew
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
It's extraordinarily versatile. It's definitely not the same tones as the Rectos, however neither is the ROV that Drew has.

That's really more how I dial it, though. The Rectoverb basically IS the second channel of a 3-channel Recto, or any 2-channel, with the exception of obvious differences in clean headroom. Dialed right, it gets pretty damned heavy.

Jeff
09-29-2008, 10:59 PM
That's really more how I dial it, though. The Rectoverb basically IS the second channel of a 3-channel Recto, or any 2-channel, with the exception of obvious differences in clean headroom. Dialed right, it gets pretty damned heavy.

I don't man, the ROV's have a different mojo to them than the duals and triples. When I've played them myself, they still don't sound anything alike to me, even with the stock tubes. And that's a good thing! I love the ROV, but am pretty lukewarm on the others. Maybe it's the whole "3 channel vs 2 channel" Recto thing, because the ROV is supposed to be tonally closer to the old 2 channels, yes?

Drew
09-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't man, the ROV's have a different mojo to them than the duals and triples. When I've played them myself, they still don't sound anything alike to me, even with the stock tubes. And that's a good thing! I love the ROV, but am pretty lukewarm on the others. Maybe it's the whole "3 channel vs 2 channel" Recto thing, because the ROV is supposed to be tonally closer to the old 2 channels, yes?

Well, it's partly that - the biggie is the presence curve on the 3rd channel of a 3-channel Rec was way more aggressive than that of the old 2 channels, or the second channel of a 3-channel (which is evidently close if not identical to the voicing on the original 2-channels).

So, it's probably that you do the same thing I do when you fire up a 3-channel Recto - go straight to the third channel. I don't think I've even bothered to play the second channel of a 3-channel, since for the longest time I wasn't aware they weren't different. :lol:

mesh
09-29-2008, 11:43 PM
The one cautionary word I'll give you, Mesh, is that if by the "Mesa" sound you're thinking a Rectifier, the three amps you've named will probably surprise you and not necessarily in a good way. All three are based a bit more on the Mark-IV school of Mesa than the Recto, so they won't be quite as deep, punishing, crunchy, and in-your-face, but rather will provide a focused, tight, searing saturation. Think Lamb of God rather than Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. It's a GREAT sound, no doubt, but if that kind of crunch is what you're after then either a F-series or a Nomad is the way to go.
Actually Drew, the one thing I don't want is the Rectifier tone as I don't find it as versatile imo compared to say Mark IV (old school mesas). I tend to play a lot of music ranging from 80s cock rock to stuff like satriani, ZZ top etc - ie: I am all over the spectrum and find these amps to cover more of this spectrum than say a recto. Also these amps are also financially feasible for me at this time.

I have tried one out (albeit for a limited time) and found thats the tone I'd like in my Mesa. Almost like a John Petrucci like amp - with his type of rhythm and leads. The Studio 22+ I tried also had great response to EMGs (81/60) and made them just sound lovely especially with the clean. The heavy gain stuff was just amazing and I am hoping that with the EMGs in my loomis (707/60-7) that it will sound just as good if not better.

Thanks for the replies guys - appreciate it.

Jeff
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Mesh, here's another one:

Mesa Boogie Studio .22 Plus Mesa/Boogie 22 Caliber!! - eBay (item 160288647762 end time Oct-07-08 17:46:28 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160288647762&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123)

Little pricey though. I love having the EQ on my DC, but Zimbloth says it sounds great without it too.

mesh
10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Mesh, here's another one:

Mesa Boogie Studio .22 Plus Mesa/Boogie 22 Caliber!! - eBay (item 160288647762 end time Oct-07-08 17:46:28 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160288647762&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123)

Little pricey though. I love having the EQ on my DC, but Zimbloth says it sounds great without it too.

Thanks man - just waiting to get my cash soon for it.