Axon repair [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Axon repair

Jumbicat
08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
If anyone has a Bluechip or Axon that is not working, email (deleted by Jumbicat] and we can do our best to figure out what's going on.

Update: 11/2012 - Due to so many emails from owners, I'm changing the email address. Reason 1, [email protected] XXX.com is sort of mis-leading and I don't want to do that. Reason 2, is the email is though my current internet provider which could change. I'll use an address that will be available all the time. Please contact me at:

[email protected]

These devices use components that require a special programmer, (Not the E-Proms) and if these IC chips for whatever reason goes bad, there are no replacement IC's available.

Any working Blue chip/Axon/Terratec midi guitar controller is only going to go up in price so check those batteries often on the older units as they can cause main board damage if leaking.

BTW Roland can't touch the midi out tracking of any model. Yes...this includes the GR-55. If you're serious about midi guitar, get an Axon. You won't regret it.

NGC-66, NGC-77, AX-50, AX-100 SB, AX-100MKII

I should also mention I am not affiliated with BlueChip, Music Industries or Terratec. I am not an authorized service shop. Just a passionate Axon owner that wants to help others. I'm a private individual who worked on two-way radio's many years ago.

I have many items to post but one issue that came up recently, was static on the 13 Pin din jack. Folks are buying new 13 pin cables thinking they are bad only to find the static comes back after a while. They ask how much to replace the connector. Keeping it simple and stupid, Strain relieving the cable so there are no moving parts to generate static seems to work just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ekvyjw96s&feature=related

Update - 03/26/2013 - Just got another email from a NGC-77 user and was asked if I was still available to help since my last update was a year ago. Yep... still alive and kicking. Thanks MetalGuitaristist.org....If it wasn't for you guys, these folks wouldn't find me. If there are any other folks out there who work in electronic repair, please email me as I do have limits to my knowledge and could use a support group.

I've been seeing a lot of buzz about the Fishman Triple Play. Glad to see the IP being picked up. Hopefully, the next gen unit will be backward compatible with existing 13 pin setups. And I'm not talking about the bullshit ztar or what ever those toys they pass as a guitar these days. Sound bitter? You bet.

Analog 6-7 string with frets and pickups....

Mark AKA Jumbicat

oliviergiraud75
07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I purchased a new Axon100 SB in '98 and played guitar live through it for many years, using just a few sounds off the board. Eventually the battery leaked and ruined the main board. I recently purchased another Axon100 made by Blue Chip as well and found that the sound board is not the same. The one I originally owned had a DB50XG board and the recent one I got has a DB51XG on it. I tried the recent one and can't find any of the sounds I used to use with my defunct Axon. I still have the DB50XG sound board and my question is, can I simply swap these two boards since the socket is the same for both or does it require some firmware downgrading? Or are they even compatible?

Thanks a bunch!
Olivier

Jumbicat
10-25-2013, 01:51 AM
I purchased a new Axon100 SB in '98 and played guitar live through it for many years, using just a few sounds off the board. Eventually the battery leaked and ruined the main board. I recently purchased another Axon100 made by Blue Chip as well and found that the sound board is not the same. The one I originally owned had a DB50XG board and the recent one I got has a DB51XG on it. I tried the recent one and can't find any of the sounds I used to use with my defunct Axon. I still have the DB50XG sound board and my question is, can I simply swap these two boards since the socket is the same for both or does it require some firmware downgrading? Or are they even compatible?

Thanks a bunch!
Olivier

First off, I'm very sorry for not replying earlier. I just now read your question. I don't visit this thread that often. 3 months is a pretty bad response time.

Yep. The unit with the DX51 most likely is running 2.08. The one with the DX50 should be 2.03.

The 2.03 firmware has the QS-300 sound editor for the DX50 where 2.08 does not.

You've probably already changed out the card, but you'll need to change the eprom too. If you don't have a 2.03 prom, just email me and we'll get one out to you.

Mark