Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Lead Guitarist Available

10K views 70 replies 26 participants last post by  Slouch 
#1 · (Edited)
What Type of Band do I Want?

- a Melodic Metalcore band
- hints of progressive elements
- radio friendly songs (not every song must comply with this)
- Entertaining stage show is a must
- Consistent interaction with fan base
- Seeking or Under management
- Seeking or Under Record contract
- New Album every other year
- Music Videos with consistent release dates
- Good public representation
- A well defined target market
- Target Market appropriate Merchandise
- Open working relationships with other bands
- Strong Technological presence (internet/phones/tablets/future tech)
- Tours national and international (now or eventually)
- Songs geared toward target market
- all completed songs are copy written
- product endorsements
- Everything on my reverbnation page

JasperEads Reverbnation Profile

My Previous Bands RN Profile

Who are the members of the band?

- Each member:
is dedicated achieve to the same band goals
has the same or similar interests
has the same or similar influences
will choose a duty related to the success of the band and do it
holds each other accountable to their duty
is SOBER while performing on and off the stage including scheduled band meetings and practice
is open and honest at all times with each member of the band
looks out for the best interests of each other
contacts each member regularly for support and accountability
has an understanding of where each member is coming from in life
respects each members duty and the difficulty of each task
is responsible for practicing at home and being prepared for rehearsal
is sensitive to each members personal life and life situations
Makes it to each band meeting and practice
Will contact the other members if they cannot attend Practice
will attend EVERY meeting
Will respect each members level of musical ability and skill set
Will within their means do the best they can to better their skill set
Will sign a personal contract to the band that is seen as fair and obtainable by each member
that complies to these guidelines and the guidelines described by the duty(s) said member
is held accountable for
Will participate in stage performance according to each songs requirement as decided by the band
Will leave past dependencies in the past if they have been resolved
Will not use previously resolved dependencies against another member for consideration of breach of contract
holds the right to ownership and royalties of each completed and copy written song
holds the right to each part in every song they have written and or performed
holds the right to remove, replace and or rewrite their own part in any song that is incomplete and non-copy written
holds the right to self terminate their contract at anytime as long as the requirements of all other
legally binding contracts to the band are satisfied (ie. Endorsement deals, record contracts, legal judgments)
holds the right to request time off from contractual duty's and private band functions (meetings, practice)
as approved by each member of the band
holds the right to reimbursement from the bands earnings for preapproved purchases that are made for the band
holds the right to call ONE unscheduled band meeting every annual quarter
holds the right to open involvement in more than one project

See less See more
#5 ·
He's really approaching this like a business partnership, not like your typical band arrangement. I guess that's admirable for some things, but for the vast majority of musicians it's a HUGE turn-off.

Also, some of those provisions are a little bit too invasive for even the most "businesslike" band environment.

"looks out for the best interests of each other"
"contacts each member regularly for support and accountability"

It's a band, not a family.

Again, just my opinion!

#24 ·
He's really approaching this like a business partnership, not like your typical band arrangement. I guess that's admirable for some things, but for the vast majority of musicians it's a HUGE turn-off.

Also, some of those provisions are a little bit too invasive for even the most "businesslike" band environment.

"looks out for the best interests of each other"
"contacts each member regularly for support and accountability"

It's a band, not a family.

Again, just my opinion!
Actually, everything in his list seems like common sense for a band hoping to be succesful, to me.

And the last point, "It's a band, not a family." is the reason I left my last band. I had to skip a practice due to some personal matters and was bitched out by a couple guys I lived in a van with for 5 weeks and claimed to be my friends and bandmates. You have to care about the other guys in the band if you want to tour regularly, and you have to be there for each other (within reason) and support each other. But, yes, it's also a business partnership.

I see nothing wrong with his list, other than the fact that the best way to find a successful band is to find like-minded people with their heads on straight who are drawn to working together because of personalities, creativity, and talent, not by contractual obligation.

#9 ·
I was gonna pull out a few quotes and make comment on them but there where far too many to use. This list has things on it that you couldnt even ask of people who love you let alone other musicians.

Davestradamos see's a solo artist vision for your future sir, and a fine relationship with a drum program.

#11 ·
"Guitarist wants to join Kill Switch Engage. Lesser bands with no record contract, management, endorsements, or international tours need not inquire" :lol:

It is good that you have goals and expectations, but you might want to try to be a tad more realistic. Also, if you are serious about all of these requirements, I would delete everything on your pure volume page, and record one well-polished, well-produced song. Right now, I personally feel like your requirements exceed the products on your page.

#14 · (Edited)
I think the main thing that OP is missing is that most of these qualities are things you should be able to pick up from social queues when meeting a potential musician. Having a list that out lines in detail every possible circumstance of every situation will drive away most people because it will make you seem as not flexible rather than professional and driven.

Remember just like any industry, the music industry is largely about marketing and outreach, in order to do so you need to exhibit a a great deal of charisma and be able to persuade people with your social skills.

Read some of Alex Skolnick's blog posts about the topic, it gives really good insider info: http://www.alexskolnick.com/SkolNotes/

#16 ·
I usually don't share my lyrics with people that aren't endorsed and haven't legally become part of my band. And I feel unsure sharing them with someone who might have dependency issues in their past and might not contact me IMMEDIATELY if they wanted to use them for something. Like a hit metalcore single used in a commercial for Monster energy drink. But I have confidence that you are a man of integrity who would reimburse me for any earnings derived from my passionate lyrics. So here they are.

I demand a biannual meeting
it is my birthright
by the blackened cock of thor

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh but only if you're sober
That's the only way to enjoy
Metalcore

Our target audience
Is high school girls
They get wet to our
Consistently released music videos

#27 ·
Those parts are definitely setting the bar too high, but rephrasing as those being future goals for the band? Not at all ridiculous. Also, it sounds like he's trying to get his name out to join an existing band that's lost a lead guitarist, which is not uncommon. :shrug: But yeah, those parts are a little extra demanding.

Aaron's just jealous I write better introspective lyrics than him.
Well, that's just true.

#32 ·
I used to dream of having my own signature guitar and a instructional video showing my skills. Then I started listening to Steve Vai and Jason Becker, and realized that all my efforts are better placed in woodshedding than marketing, cause I freaking suck :rofl:

#37 ·
You can't tell what is melting your face! Is it the proximity to the Sun, or is it the shredderific licks???????

:facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt::facemelt:

#41 ·
Getting this back on track :noplease: Perhaps, like others have said, you would consider a established act? Provided that you meet the criteria you have presented that sounds like the best shot. Contact the managment of bands you may feel you could fit in with and go from there. I grew up 10 miles from a guy who went on to be Ozzys guitar player (Zakk Wylde), so I cant say it cant happen but in Ozzys case that list is gone brother! lol

#43 ·
Good advice. To further this, as I said earlier, if you can put a well produced and polished product up, it will go miles for pre-audition press kits. Couple that with some awesome play-throughs so people can see your technique, a few high quality headshots/photos, and you have a great pre-audition package that is guaranteed to get some interest.

My first go with the classifieds got almost zero hits. I put some videos up, and now I get hits even though I am not looking for bands.

Videos are this generations preferred format.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.