Engl E860 Rack Head [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Engl E860 Rack Head

James
01-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Anybody used one of these? I've had an offer to possibly swap some gear I'm not using for one, but I don't know if it's the kind of thing I'm after. I know Necrophagist are supposed to have used one to record Epitaph, but other than that I've got no idea what it's like. Is that fairly typical of it's sound, or can it do a wider spread of tones? Primarily it's the metal rhythm sound I'm most interested in. Yes, I tried Youtube for clips, but I can't find any.

In terms of amps (for metal rhythm), I like Recto's & 5150's. I don't like Marshall or Mesa Mark-series.

So, do you think an E860 would be for me?

technomancer
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Honestly if you can trade gear you're not using for it, go for it. They're rare as rocking horse shit and people are always looking for them so you can always move it easily if you don't like it. :2cents:

Arbiter
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think anyone has any idea how those things actually sound :lol: I didn't even know it existed until recently.. for it to be so much money, I would think it can do a LOT. At the very least, I would think every control on it is MIDI controllable so it basically has an infinite number of channels.

edit: NVM, I'm thinking of the E580 http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain=description&ii=54&mid=2
Shouldn't the 860 be a power amp?

shannon
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
The only way you're gonna know if it's for you is just to go for it. If it sucks, you just have another piece of gear you're not using that will still sell instantly.