Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I hate tubes.

Tags
hate tubes
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  budda 
#1 ·
Just blew an EL84 in the ENGL rackhead, nice blue sparks inside and the red "fuse blown" light came on... so I paid a visit to Denmark Street while out shopping this afternoon and bough another couple, replaced that particular pair, turned the amp on... POP, one of the red power-tube-fuse lights comes on on the OTHER CHANNEL :wallbash:

Looks like I'll be replacing the full set, which is 8 of the fucking things coming in at a cool 75-80 quid. Fuck.

#2 ·
That seriously chews dude. It think it's one of the few downsides owning a tube amp, but the sound difference is usually worth the hassle. Is that the first time it's acted up on you?

I have a 100% solid state setup just for weight concerns and no tube worries. Not the greatest sound, but since i'm not really a gigging musician, i'm not too picky.

#4 ·
I hate to say this, but you really ought to replace power tubes in full sets, preferably matched. Not only will it improve the reliability of your amp, but it will sound better, too.

Think of a set of power tubes like strings. If you break one string on an old set, do you think the others are that far behind?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.