Drew's Dorky Diablo II Discussion [Archive] - Metalguitarist.org

View Full Version : Drew's Dorky Diablo II Discussion

Drew
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Diablo response - Just be ready to dodge the "red lightning hose" Diablo does as that's really the most devastating thing he'll do. Also, he'll eat your mercenary for breakfast. Just resummon wolves, cast your attack spell, be mobile, and always be ready to dodge stuff. Also, fill your belt with potions and get ready to do what you'd be doing on a Saturday night if it wasn't your 'clean' month, as there are some attacks that you can't dodge.

The problem is he keeps hitting me with that "cage" thing, trapping me in place in the line of fire. There's, conveniently, a Resist Fire shrine right outside the Chaos Sanctuary, which if I hit that will take care of the worst of his ring of fire attack, but seems to have no effect on the other attack (must be a magic attack, and not a fire attack...?).

So, if I hit the Resist Fire shrine, keep my crossbow out (which lowers my defense since I can't keep my shield equipped, and lowers my normal resistance to fire, since my shield has some sort of resist bonus for a couple different attacks), keep casting Dire Wolves to keep him occupied, and accept the fact that once I'm caged in I can't dodge his other attack, well, I still get nowhere since the ring of fire attack does upwards of 300 points of damage, which is enough to finish off a Level 3 Dire Wolf, meaning I'll be constantly casting those, and I just can't hurt him enough with a crossbow to finish him off myself.

I'm thinking what I need to do here is to go back and level up a bit - if I could get my cyclone shield thing up a few levels, it'd take off the worst of at least the first magic attack of his, buying me that much more time. He doesn't SEEM to do too much conventional damage, so I think I could probably fight hand-to-hand against him (it helps that one of the charms I'm carrying does ice damage, which freezes him and slows him way down, and that my mace does something like 14-68 damage per hit, plus a whole sleew of other weapon- and charm-related bonuses) if I just had enough potions and got in a few hits first.

The problem is, my archer does a LOT of damage - all in she peaks out at like 200 I think - so a lot of my strategy to date has been about setting up the conflict such that ranged weapons can be used from the perimeter, which really isn't going to work here. :lol:

Even then though, against the fallen angel, I-whatsishame, that was probably a 2-3 minute fight, with my archer, three dire wolves, a poison vine, and a heart of the wolverine spirit. These things are just so damned tough that it takes a long time to kill them, and that's a problem because Diablo does enough damage every 15 seconds to finish me off if I'm not constantly hitting potions. :lol:

What was your character level when you first beat him? Am I just trying too early? I remember Diablo 1, I ended up starting a new game at about level 10-12 or so simply because my character wasn't tough enough to survive what he was fighting, but by the time he got back to that point in the dungeon the second time through he could hold his own (barely).

Max
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
can has diablo 3 now?

Groff
02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
can has diablo 3 now?

This... I haven't played any of the Diablos in years. Such great games...

Ambrosius
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Nate seconds the yearning for Diablo 3.

Max
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
THIRDS
THIRDS NATE THIRDS

Ambrosius
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM
/facepalm

Drew
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Wow guys. :lol:

Yeah, Diablo 3 is why I picked up 2 - I figured it made sense to get back in the mood. :lol:

Max
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
i think im gonna go buy the battlechest tonight :lol:

Drew
02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
i think im gonna go buy the battlechest tonight :lol:

:lol:

Let me know what your character level is when you beat Diablo, or the first time you did, if you remember. I'm wondering if I'm having so much trouble with the final fight because I just suck at this game, or because I shouldn't even be attempting him at 27. :lol:

Max
02-26-2009, 06:10 PM
i havent played in AGES
:idea: dya have battlenet?

Josh
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Alright, first a few tips, courtesy of someone who used to spend WAAAY too much time at this game:

Diablo tips-
-The "An Evil Force" he uses to cage you in can be destroyed. Remember, you can press "W" to switch between two weapon/shield sets, so it might behoove you to do a quick switch when you get caged so that you might be able to whack your way out.
-The "Fire Trail" attack does do fire damage, it just does an absurd amount of it. It's slow enough to dodge when you're not caged, but it will completely destroy your mercenary and/or summons if they are all near each other.
-Mercenaries are not designed to take act bosses. There is a penalty built into the game where the mercenary deals 10% damage against act bosses and takes 10x normal damage. Your summons are unaffected by this, but your mercenary is.
-Remember, you can summon your wolves and such so that they are on opposite sides of Diablo. This splits his attacks a bit and slows him down since the ring of fire is the only thing that will hit multiple enemies at once.
-If you can get Diablo slowed, by cold or some other ability, it will do wonders for you. His attacks are slower and easier to see/dodge, and he will kill your summons much less often. He's still lethal though.
-Keep a Fissure under him at all times, and try to make sure he's always taking some sort of damage.

General tips:
-When leveling up, try the following: press 'enter' and type in '/players X' where X is a number from 1 to 8. The higher the number, the more health the monsters have (and they do slightly more damage) but they give significantly more experience and drops, as the game is basically setting itself up as if you were playing with 8 other players. At /players 8 monster life is at like 450% but experience gained increases similarly. Season this to taste, and try not to spawn a difficult act boss while at anything other than /players 1 or else you've got a LONG fight on your hands...

Recommended Stat/skill distributions:
When Patch 1.10/1.11 came out, the game got MUCH harder. Generally, you put strength high enough to be able to use items. Dexterity is mainly used for blocking with a shield (or meeting some weapon requirements) but is not hugely important otherwise. It does affect your chance to hit, but there are tons of items and skills that give good bonuses to attack rating. Some builds work well with a few points in energy, but dont overspend here as later on you will wish you had put some of those points in Vitality. Vitality gets everything else; life is at a premium in Diablo II, much more so than the first game.

Skills: Pick two or three 'main' skills, and max those out. Look at what skills synergize with those, and max those too if you've got the points. Try to have at least two different kinds of damage, as in the later difficulties monsters can and will show up immune to one or two elements, or physical damage, or magic. Look for "one-point wonders" that will give you a big boost for one point spent in them. I don't play Druids much, but for Barbarians "Iron Skin" is a one-point wonder because it will give you +30% defense for one point, and only a minimal investment for further than that.

It might be worth running around in Hell for a bit (or running Mephisto a few times) to get up to level 30 for your Bear. He makes a good tanking summon, with waaay more health than a wolf.

Keep some Rejuvenation potions in your belt too... they work instantly so can really save you in a pinch. Also, use the Function keys to hotkey your main skills so you can switch between them faster.

If you think your gear is holding you back, go back and run Mephisto a couple of times (use the waypoint to get to Durance of Hate Level 2, then run through the level quickly and work your way to Mephisto again; save, exit, repeat) If you raise player settings slightly (depending on how easy it is for you to kill him) you will start to see more rare, set, and unique items drop that will give you a bit more of an arsenal to deal with Diablo.

If you have any specific questions or issues, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. It's weird, I rarely see Diablo use his "trap" ability on myself, with the Barbarian, Sorceress, or Necromancer.

...Holy crap, I am a fucking nerd.

BTW, it is possible to kill Diablo at level 27; but ever since I found out about the /players thing I usually hit him around level 30-32 and dont have much of a problem. I have never played a Druid so I don't have any specific suggestions though.

Max
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
im gonna shoot for: Level infinity druid

Josh
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Ok, so here are the characters that I beat Diablo with (and their approximate levels)

Concentrate Barbarian - Diablo (level 31) - really easy, just get up really close and whack with a cold axe. If you get really really close to Diablo, the lightning will actually miss you.

Summon Necromancer - Diablo (level 35) - Died on him a couple times due to fragility and his ability to eat my minions for breakfast en masse. Finally won by lucking out and having him concentrate on my (resummonable) clay golem to the exclusion of all else, which slowed him along with my cold-equipped mercenary. Took a long time for skeletons and merc to chip away at him.

Meteorb Sorceress - Level 30 - Static Field brought him down to 25% health in a few castings (risky because of how close I had to get) and then Frozen Orb leveled him in like two castings. Total time: 25 seconds, tops, on /players 8. My mercenary (act 2 Defensive) didn't even die. Now you know why I like my sorceress so much!

Max
02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Im proposing some online play next weekend :lol:

Drew
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
:rofl: maybe, depending on if I have time.

the W thing is a total saving grace, dude, I've been using that since like Act 1. The combination of a good ranged weapon and a good melee weapon is huge, and IMO this is the biggest improvement of the game.

-Didn't know that about Mercenaries, good to know.

-I'd actually just been casting wolves en masse before I hit the battle, so I'd roll in with full mana. That makes sense, though, although either way as soon as he casts his ring of fire they're all going to bite it. Good call.

-likewise, I only realized last night that a waypoint would take you to ANY actice waypoint. I had no idea how to get out of hell before that, and I was starting to run dangerously low on money so I wasn't sure if I was going to run out of cash and not be able to ressurect my mercenary, and be screwed. :lol: (Again, I dind't know that they were worthless on bosses).

-When you say "level up," does that mean you can only change the the player thing when you have the "plus stats" thing on screen after completing a new level?

I figured I could make a straight run at it, but I don't think I can take Diablo just yet (or at least I'm doubtful. Maybe if I start hotkeying summons spells and fissure and get used to that I could make a fair crack at it, but so far I just don't feel like I've been able to deal enough damage before dying.

Similarly, I didn't know Rejuvinate worked instantly - I'd just been selling them as soon as I got them. :lol: I'd be downing 2-3 full health potions just because I was taking damage so fast if I waited for the full effect, I'd die. :lol:

Max
02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
:idea: make time :agreed:

Drew
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
:lol: We'll see man. I still need to beat this thing myself.

Max
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
:idea: beat it faster, and well all start a fresh lyphestyle!

Drew
02-26-2009, 07:50 PM
:idea: beat it faster, and well all start a fresh lyphestyle!

lyphestyle? :lol:

Max
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
lyphe-style. some dude on an emulation forum i used to frequent back before ssf worked went by dr34m3R 4 lYphE or something like that :lol:

Drew
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
No, I caught the pronounciation, it's just fuckin' weird. :lol:

Max
02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
i know. its also fucking retarded. and wonderful :lol:

Drew
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
:lol: Anyway, I'll try to beat the dude tonight and update you guys.

Josh
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
You can change the /player settings anytime, just hit enter and type in the /players X bit.

Also, if you take 3 rejuvenation potions and stick them in the cube and "combine" them, you'll get a full rejuvenation potion.

Vegetta
02-27-2009, 02:31 AM
you could always download the hero editor and cheat your ass off :D

Drew
02-27-2009, 02:32 AM
-When leveling up, try the following: press 'enter' and type in '/players X' where X is a number from 1 to 8. The higher the number, the more health the monsters have (and they do slightly more damage) but they give significantly more experience and drops, as the game is basically setting itself up as if you were playing with 8 other players. At /players 8 monster life is at like 450% but experience gained increases similarly. Season this to taste, and try not to spawn a difficult act boss while at anything other than /players 1 or else you've got a LONG fight on your hands...

I tried this today, re-ran the Raven Blood quest at 8 and then most of hell (basically right up to the Diablo fight) at 4 or 5. It didn't really seem THAT different... That said, that was enough to get me from 28 to 30. And you're right, the bear does hold up to fire a lot better. :lol:

Anyway, between a more sturdy decoy and this awesome 2-handed vougue (?) that does a whole slew of extra damage to demons, I got him about halfway down in about the same amount of time I spent on him yesterday, before I decided I still wasn't quite ready.

Another question - how do you set up the Skill hotkeys? They didn't seem to do anything in their default setup, so given the pace of the battle I just gave up on fissure and left my summon grizzley up at all times just so I could keep replenishing the dude.:lol:

Vegetta
02-27-2009, 02:49 AM
i usually bound skills to the F keys and mousewheel
just set them up in the order you usually cast and you will be golden

Drew
02-27-2009, 03:07 AM
i usually bound skills to the F keys and mousewheel
just set them up in the order you usually cast and you will be golden

How, though? :lol:

Tom
02-27-2009, 03:17 AM
What kind of druid are you? If you depend mostly on summons, that's going to make bosses harder. I tend to build my druids more around lycanthropy and elemental skills with just a few summons.

How, though? :lol:

IIRC, hit S to bring up your spellbook, hover the mouse over the skill you want to hotkey, and hit the F key you want to assign it to. You can do this for left click or right click skills.

jdonegan
02-27-2009, 03:33 AM
:lol:

Let me know what your character level is when you beat Diablo, or the first time you did, if you remember. I'm wondering if I'm having so much trouble with the final fight because I just suck at this game, or because I shouldn't even be attempting him at 27. :lol:

I remember doing it at like 34 with the Amazon, god that was so long ago :lol:

This may be a stupid question, but can't the druid character turn himself into a bear/wolf thing? Don't gain some sort of damage bonus for a short period of time when you do that?

Tom
02-27-2009, 03:37 AM
This may be a stupid question, but can't the druid character turn himself into a bear/wolf thing? Don't gain some sort of damage bonus for a short period of time when you do that?

Yeah. I think the wolf transformation turns your character into a fast and highly offensive creature, and the bear is basically tank mode.

Drew
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
What kind of druid are you? If you depend mostly on summons, that's going to make bosses harder. I tend to build my druids more around lycanthropy and elemental skills with just a few summons.

IIRC, hit S to bring up your spellbook, hover the mouse over the skill you want to hotkey, and hit the F key you want to assign it to. You can do this for left click or right click skills.

Ahh, badass! :D

Um, a pretty well-rounded one. :lol: Remember, this is the first time I've ever played DII, and it's been like 5-7 years since the first. I didn't know people tended to focus on only one or two skills, so instead I spread out pretty evenly. I don't remember what exactly I have off the top of my head, but I think it's level 1 Lycanthropy, probably like level 1 Werewolf, and 2-3 Werebear. I'd been focusing on summons spells lately because they own in melee fighting (level 2 Summon Grizzley, I leveled up to 31 last night, level 3 or 4 Dire Wolf, I forget...) and I'm spread out pretty well on Elementals - Level 4 or 5 fissure (my go to, since it requires no aim), maybe level 2-3 for whatever that rolling ball of fire is, since it kicks ass in narrow tunnels, and like Level 2 Cyclone or whatever is right below Hurricane for the fire-resistant monsters.

The problem with shape changing is it REALLY limits what spells you can cast. This is a moot point against Diablo, since really I'm just sitting there whacking at the guy and summoning Grizzleys as fast as they die on me, but in melee fighting it sucks if you're this big badass bear, yet you're surrounded by enemies with some other enemies in the distance with range attacks, and you can't use ranged attacks yourself (cause you're a bear) and can't use elemental spells to kill them from afar. Sometimes your mercenary knows enough to go after them, but sometimes not.

Tom
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
The problem with shape changing is it REALLY limits what spells you can cast. This is a moot point against Diablo, since really I'm just sitting there whacking at the guy and summoning Grizzleys as fast as they die on me, but in melee fighting it sucks if you're this big badass bear, yet you're surrounded by enemies with some other enemies in the distance with range attacks, and you can't use ranged attacks yourself (cause you're a bear) and can't use elemental spells to kill them from afar. Sometimes your mercenary knows enough to go after them, but sometimes not.

Ah, good point! I think I was thinking of two different druids I had when I made that last post (it's been several years). I think I either went with shape shifting and just a few support summons (mainly vines and spirits) or elementals and more or less the same summons.

Since it's your first character, that might not be a bad way to go about it. You'll be able to make something better later, but this is giving you a better idea of what a druid has to offer so you'll be able to make more experienced choices with your next one.

Drew
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Jeez, you guys realize I'm not planning on becoming a several-hours-a-day Diablo player, right? :lol: I just want to beat the game, lol.

Tom
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Well I didn't mean to imply that you were going to go up to level 99 and then start a new character. :P

Drew
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Update - kicked Diablo's ass last night. Basically, I put a few more points in lycothropy, and assembled the runes for a Spirit of the Ancients shield and a Malice sword, then stocked up on full rejuvination potions. In the process of getting all that stuff together and then fighting my way back into the Chaos Sanctuary, I also leveled up to Level 34, which probably made a big difference, too. My mercenary didn't even die until the last 30 seconds of what was probably a 5-minute fight. It was just a question of casting Maul every so often and recasting my grizzley bear whenever it died to keep Diablo distracted, and I probably only needed 2-3 of the rejuvination potions I'd put together.

I gotta say though, while leveling up I ended up fighting Mephisto at 8 players level, and Diablo is exponentially more difficult than Mephisto. The original fight with Mephisto was a cakewalk (mercenary survived, it was over in less than a minuite), and even at the heightened attack and hit points levels that come with more players, it was a long and grueling fight but it was pretty apparent what the outcome was going to be.

Something tells me Baal is going to be nuts, then. :lol: Meanwhile, the one perk is that having now discovered the shapeshifting spells in a big way, as well as leveled up enough and gotten some even better gear, I'm pretty much mowing through Act 5. No surprise, I suppose, as if level 20 is the starting point to make it through that act, and I'm almost twice that... I've also switched mainly to a werewolf rather than a werebear for the faster attack, as I realized that when I didn't have to sit there and take massive amounts of damage, I didn't need the werebear's added life as badly and the fact I was hitting so much slower was just making him ungainly in combat.

Tom
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
:woot:

I don't remember how much worse Baal is than Diablo. I think I might remember people saying that Diablo was still the harder prime evil, but this was several patch versions ago. In any case, just be glad you're not fighting Ubers. :lol:

Drew
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Read about that. :lol: I gather it's one of these "don't even try before level 80 or so" fights? :lol:

Tom
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
The Ubers? Yeah, that's pretty much a higher level thing. Uber Diablo pretty much requires a high level group of people (or one really 1337 mofo with absolutely no life), and then there's Uber Tristram, which is Uber versions of all three prime evils simultaneously. :eek: I've never fought in either battle myself, largely because all the Uber stuff came about long after I was enough into Diablo to go for it.

Max
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
the uber diablo in the uber tristam battle is harder than the uber diablo on his own too. hes like, uber uber diablo iirc

Tom
03-03-2009, 04:46 PM
ZOMG UBAR TO TEH 666th POWAR!

Drew
03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
The Ubers? Yeah, that's pretty much a higher level thing. Uber Diablo pretty much requires a high level group of people (or one really 1337 mofo with absolutely no life), and then there's Uber Tristram, which is Uber versions of all three prime evils simultaneously. :eek: I've never fought in either battle myself, largely because all the Uber stuff came about long after I was enough into Diablo to go for it.

Goddamn. :lol: that must be a hell of a fight. You're limited to a party of 8, right?

Tom
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, eight is the limit. :(

Josh
03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Yay, congrats Drew! I'd recommend sticking on /players 5+ through Act 5. You'll keep a similar killing speed at your level and get way more XP and drops.

Baal is easier than Diablo... he doesn't have the ridiculous damage 'spikes' that Diablo can do with his fire and lightning sprays. The worst things Baal can do are burn all your mana, push you away and slow you, and clone himself to make things take a little longer.

Drew
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I'd been considering upping it, since I really haven't had a close fight since Diablo. I'll do so. :yesway:

Drew
03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
:bump: So I've been too fucking busy at work (and have started drinking again, which is WAY more fun if you're socializing around the kitchen table, rather than holed up in your bedroom), so I haven't gotten any further. :lol: I've probably logged a half hour in the last two weeks. :/

Max
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
yeah ive been too cheap to man up and buy it, im gonna borrow a friends copy or something :lol:

Drew
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
:bump:

After a couple weeks off, finally logged another three or four hours over the last two nights and beat the expansion.

The Baal fight wasn't so bad at all, though that probably had a lot to do with the fact that I'd been playing a half hour to an hour here and there, not enough time to make any real progress but enough to kill a lot of creatures, and had sort of gradually leveled up to 41 by the time of the fight by then (though, I hit 42 when I killed him, lol). The minion fights leading up to it seemed pretty gimmicky, with Baal just standing there while I fought, and the first three were cakewalks. The fourth (the winged demons) my mercenary got fucked up and I had to make a quick pit stop back to town to charge back up, and the fifth, whatever those things were, I actually died. :lol: I managed to finish the fight by just hanging back, using a bow I had in my inventory, and casting a ton of Inferno spells and letting my summoned creatures do all the work, though, so it wasn't too big an issue.

The Baal fight was pretty straightforward - I just grabbed a couple full rejuvination potions before I started and kept my belt full. The second Baal, even though thanks to a bit of online reading I knew which was which, I ended up just killing off first anyway - I don't know if they actually had a HP difference, or if some of the "against Demon" bonuses my weapon (a runeword "King's Grace" war sword) worked on actual demons (the Baal clone) but not bosses (Baal), but either way the clone didn't move much, took damage a lot easier, and Baal kept warping around and whenever I tried to go after the real one I always found myself stuck between the two taking a lot of damage, so eventually I just left my summoned creatures to deal with Baal, finished off the clone, and then went to work on the real thing.

The Secret Cow Level was, on one hand, an absolute riot (the awful "Moo!" sounds rule, lol), but on another a bit of a letdown - I was expecting more cool shit to get dropped, and then since the Cow King looks pretty much exactly like everything else in that level I ended up killing him off almost before I realized, meaning I can't go back in future games with this character, and then I sort of assumed he'd drop the Cow King's Leathers armor set, and he didn't, which bummed me out a little. :lol: Either way, it was pretty cool.

Anyway, now I guess I need to beat it in Nightmare. :D

Tom
04-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, once you get through the minion fights, Baal himself usually isn't that hard as long as you have some potions. I think the Cow King is usually lightning enchanted, and he tends to spawn in a corral. The Secret Cow Level is the only place the Cow King's Leathers set has a chance of dropping, but as you found out, that doesn't mean it always drops. I've actually only rarely seen them drop, and I used to regularly go through cow levels. I did pretty much laugh my ass off through the first few runs, though. One precaution you can take in single player is to back up your character before you go into the Cow Level so if you kill the king, you can undo that run if you want.

Keep in mind that in nightmare, you automatically get resistance penalties. Lightning and fire enchanted monsters can really suck if your resistances blow.

By the way, how can you tell which Baal is the clone? I never bothered to figure it out beyond the fact that the clone dies faster.

Drew
04-01-2009, 08:58 PM
IIRC, the "Demon" under the real Baal is centered, so the B and the D don't line up perfectly, while the clone they fall exactly under each other, like so:

Real:
Baal
. Demon

Clone:
Baal
Demon

Slightly exaggerated. :lol: Like I said, though, for me it was just as easy to kill both. In a 1P game with something that doesn't summon minions, that might not be the case, of course.

For resistances, I was at 75% for everything by the end of Normal, so I'm still in pretty good shape - I started a Nightmare game but didn't really play, and I was in the 35%-45% range on everything, so I should still be in pretty good shape.

Tom
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Aha!

Drew
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Sneaky, eh? I figure the coders must have intentionally done that as a little hint for themselves for the sake of testing.

Josh
04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Nightmare is still pretty much rampage time. You'll notice your summons will be less and less effective though... and you get to start running into Physical Immune bosses and bosses with really really nasty modifiers like stacking auras and the like.

Also, watch out for Fire Enchanted and Cold Enchanted bosses... when they blow up after they die, they HURT in Nightmare and Hell.

Tom
04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Also, watch out for Fire Enchanted and Cold Enchanted bosses... when they blow up after they die, they HURT in Nightmare and Hell.

The Undead Stygian Dolls in the Durance of Hate were the bane of my characters when I used to do frequent magic find runs down to Mephisto.

Drew
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, all of these "cold resist fire enchanted mana drain spectral hit" uniques are kind of a pain in the ass, especially since they seem to keep coming in pairs. :lol: I've been leaving it on four or 5 players, and am just running the caves in preparation for the Blood Raven battle, and I've died twice now, which is pretty embarassing. :lol:

Still, I think the game is more fun in Nightmare than it was in regular - you get more interesting drops, and while I'm not sure if the fights are more "challenging" since as a low level character they were pretty touch, they're more fun since I now have an army of summons and a bunch of different skills to fall back on. Options are always cool.

The problem, of course, is I'm now toying with the idea of starting another character in a different class. :lol: What would you guys recommend as a fun second character? I'm thinking maybe a sorceress, since they seem to have a ton of cool shit and I like magic.

Professor Squidbeard
04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
you're sucking me back in! shit. i might have to start playing again, two heads are better than one

Professor Squidbeard
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
what server are you playing on? i'm installing right now. also, ladder or non ladder?

Tom
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
The problem, of course, is I'm now toying with the idea of starting another character in a different class. :lol: What would you guys recommend as a fun second character? I'm thinking maybe a sorceress, since they seem to have a ton of cool shit and I like magic.

If you want a change from a melee based class, sorceress is definitely a good way to go. The thing with sorcs, though, is that every single skill point matters much more than with any other class, so it's good to be very careful and stingy with those points. Teleport is a very cool spell, though. Once you get used to being able to teleport at will, you'll miss it in other characters. You can get teleport with an Enigma runeword armor, but that's some high level stuff. If you really like the summoning aspect of the druid, there's the necromancer. They're fun, but I always had trouble getting them to work well for use outside of a party. That's just me, though. Amazons are fun, too, if you want to try something with a ranged weapon. They get all kinds of neat bow/crossbow skills.

Josh
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorceresses are a LOT of fun. You need to be fairly specialized to succeed in Hell difficulty though... and they are at their hardest in the levels 24-29. Once you hit level 30, Frozen Orb will own anything and everything not Cold Immune through Nightmare.

Also, Teleport and Static Field are incredible utility spells that really make life a lot easier.

My recommendation would be to go with what is known as a "Meteorb" sorceress, meaning Meteor and Frozen Orb are your main attack spells. Basically, you'll be pumping Fireball and Meteor (and getting a point in Warmth, Teleport, Static Field, and prerequisites for Frozen Orb) till you hit 30, then max Frozen Orb, toss a point in Cold Mastery, then max Meteor, then Fireball/Fire Mastery.

At level 30+, it really is a lot of fun as you just rip through enemies, yet it's challenging as well since your life is likely going to be relatively low so you have to be quick on your feet.

Another popular build is the summons necromancer, who has even more of a glass jaw than the Sorceress but can snooze his way through most of Normal and Nightmare with a point in Clay Golem (to slow down creatures), a point or two in Amplify Damage and Decrepify, and maxed Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery, with Corpse Explosion for killing things in Hell difficulty. Much less challenging, but watching your enemies get mobbed and destroyed by skeletons is a LOT of fun. Just max Raise Skeleton before Skeleton Mastery and make sure you've got a point in Summon Resist before you hit Diablo so that he doesn't rip your skeletons and golem up too fast.