Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Can someone explain to me why.....

Tags
explain
2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
I can't just add a repository, search for FF3 (Firefox 2 is preinstalled) say "yes, please install"), and have it just fucking work?

I'm testing SLED 10 sp2, and it's got old versions of everything. I want to update Firefox and OOo.org. W(hy)TF is this such a fucking ordeal?

I add the appropriate repos, find the apps, and......dependency hell.

And people wonder why Linux distros haven't "invaded the desktop". Here's a clue: they're a fucking pain in the ass.

#8 ·
This = the primary reason Linux isn't more popular. No matter what distro you run, some shit just will not work without dependency hell. Until the open-sourcers get their heads out of their ass and make a sensible installation API (cough, cough, windows) it'll never be more accessible/usable/popular than Windows is for the average end-user.

#16 ·
Not that I think they should buy Macs, mind you. They're too expensive, and thanks to Apple's draconian hold over the driver development, hardware options will always be limited and overpriced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.