Cobra Kai - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Kai

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Flexkill View Post
    I watched the free episode they were pimping and it was alright but i'm not paying for Red for that

I've got to many damn subscriptions as it is with Prime and Netflix....plus cable TV...FFS
    Hey, Captain Reading Comprehension, sign up for the free one month trial and cancel before the month is up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Just binged watched the entire season and yes it was fantastic.

ME: Ibanez RG752AHM
    MA: Martin
    Rig: 6505+

I finished the series it was awesome cant wait for the next season

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Man, the acting on this show is terrible

And the original was a thespian tour de force?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I'm through the first 8 episodes, after I broke a string on my Strat on Friday night and figured I may as well watch the first episode before bed. 6 episodes and way too much gin later... Johnny makes an unexpectedly good anti-hero, but I think where this really excels is in the way both characters' motivations become increasingly complicated - Johnny is doing a lot of good, but also in some ways being a clearly negative influence, whereas Danny is solidly off the pedestal the first movie places him on, yet at the same time is still the more positive role model. It's a very grey movie, in ways that work surprisingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Man, the acting on this show is terrible
    It's inconsistent. Some characters are very well acted (the kid Johnny takes under his wing, for one, has been pretty good, Danny's mother seemed very natural, Danny's daughter is pretty good, etc), however unless I'm greatly misstaken neither Ralph Macchio nor whoever played Johnny have done much acting since the 80s, and in a few places it shows, probably more so for Johnny than Danny. Not across the board, they both are strong in certain spots or with certain emotions, but they got the job because they were the original two actors, in a movie that probably didn't place much in the way of demands on them as teenagers, so it's probably unavoidable.

I think if you're watching something and find yourself thinking about the acting, that's a bad sign. But, at the same time, it's not like its really across the board terrible - there are just moments where something jumps out at you as being stiff and awkward and unnatural.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's inconsistent. Some characters are very well acted (the kid Johnny takes under his wing, for one, has been pretty good, Danny's mother seemed very natural, Danny's daughter is pretty good, etc), however unless I'm greatly misstaken neither Ralph Macchio nor whoever played Johnny have done much acting since the 80s, and in a few places it shows, probably more so for Johnny than Danny. Not across the board, they both are strong in certain spots or with certain emotions, but they got the job because they were the original two actors, in a movie that probably didn't place much in the way of demands on them as teenagers, so it's probably unavoidable.
    Xolo Maridueña (Miguel) is absolutely the standout of all the kids. He does a great job at being the awkward new kid, as well as portraying the growth of his character from the beginning to the end of the series. He's been acting in television since he was a preteen, though, so it's not entirely unexpected.

I though Ralph Macchio's performances often felt forced, except when he's in car salesman mode. Since really, every car salesman seems like a bad actor. I disagree with you about William Zabka, though, since he seems the most at home when he's snapping off the decidedly un-PC one-liners. He really does remind me of every slightly bigoted dick that is two or three decades behind where the world has moved to. He seems more off when he's trying to be more of a mentor/adult in the room, but that kind of jives with how his character is naturally uncomfortable in that roll.

There is an extended scene those two share in episode nine that sort of corrects all of that, though, since it is absolutely the most natural they seem in the entire series. I'm kind of wondering if they were half in the bag when they filmed it.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I disagree with you about William Zabka, though, since he seems the most at home when he's snapping off the decidedly un-PC one-liners. He really does remind me of every slightly bigoted dick that is two or three decades behind where the world has moved to. He seems more off when he's trying to be more of a mentor/adult in the room, but that kind of jives with how his character is naturally uncomfortable in that roll.
    Oh, I totally agree there. And I think generally any time he was to lose his temper or anything along those lines, or say something fairly cutting (I thought the scene at the end of episode 8 with his dad was great, the combination of anger and sadness and distance), he's good. I think anytime he's asked to act confused he struggles, not in a way that feels oorganically like a man not used to confusion is confused, but as in it's just not natural to him as an actor. I'll be curious if they do get several seasons out of it, if his acting will gradually improve.

And Macchio is alfully schmoozy, huh?

Miguel is great, probably a little more so as you get into the second and third thirds of the series and he begins to get some confidence, but even at the beginning he seemed a pretty believable character. I also think while Hawk's transformation happened almost too fast, he's the guy more than anyone else so far where I think I can see seeds of what Cobra Kai used to be coming through today.