Cobra Kai - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cobra Kai

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Spoiler

I mean, in some ways, the fight in the original was a tacked on happy ending that just isn't that plausible - the badly injured Danny holds to a draw and then dispatches the bad guy with a single kick. It's the classic ending of its era, whereas this ending is the classic ending of ours - Johnny sees, suddenly and abruptly, the danger in his own ideology, and the good in Danny's, but it's too late - Miguel's "remember? No weakness?" doesn't even give him time to say anything in response before returning to the ring.

There's a couple ways that Miyagi-Do could go, one of the most plausible ones being the dealership business starts to suffer for it as Danny pursues his passion. I could also see his cousin being brought back in, with predictable bad impact. I'm less worried about the investment in Danny, though, than you are - at the start of Season 1, Johnny was the one we had no reason to give a shit about, and Danny was the good guy. Over the course of the season, Johnny is rehabilitated, to the point of even questioning his own teaching in the finale, whereas Danny is systematically cut down, from the white knight of the original to, at best, a good hearted guy letting his emotions get the best of him, to at worst kind of an asshole. Honestly, the best we see him is singing along with Johnny in the car and then getting drunk talking about their childhoods - that was a frustrating (again, not in a bad way) missed opportunity, as hhad they then not run into Robby in the dojo they very well might have buried the hatchet then and there.

Even then... I thought Johnny was going to apologize to Danny and Robby at the end, and I think we as viewers were supposed to feel like he very nearly did. He clearly wasn't happy, and if you'd asked me at that moment which man was going to tell Robby he fought with honor, I'd say it would have been a coin flip.

Kreese showing up, again, is one of those things you didn't WANT to happen, but totally works.

Plot points I could see going forward - Kreese muscles Johnny out of Cobra Kai and takes over the studio for himself, veering further into "the dark side," if you will, and pushing Johnny and Daniel closer to a reconciliation (Daniel clearly still blames Kreese more than Johnny). If Kreese does take control of the studio, Hawk clearly goes with him, though he went so far and so fast onto the dark side here that there almost has to be a snap-back of sorts. Daniel's business struggling as he dedicates more and more time to Cobra Kai. Sam clearly begins to train and compete, and I could see her facing off with and beating Miguel in the next tournament. If there's any chance for Miguel to abandon the dark side (I'm just blatantly using Star Wars metaphors here), it's probably through Sam more than it is through Johnny, even if he atones for his past mistakes. Daniel has to get students from somewhere, and while a few Cobra Kai defections would make sense (and would fan the flames of a Johnny/Daniel rivalry) I could see Miguel's nerdy friend who didn't join Cobra Kai being one of the early ones. A Sam/Robby romance is definitely being hinted at, and would be true to the original story arc - it's a tossup if they'll go for that, or just fuck with expectations, I think.

Thinking out loud here.

Looking forward to season 2 as well. Any idea when it airs?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Dude, Drew, that was way overboard analysis right there for this show, and I'm loving reading it

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    It totally fucking is.
    It actually wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Vince - anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It actually wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.
    I know, it was worse.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Not even close. I expected some major suspenseful - and stupid - plot point.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Because these past few weeks have been nothing but a barrage of pop culture.

Season 2 is out and after smashing through it, Cobra Kai hasn't lost any of it's edge. It's still morally grey, complex and hard hitting as ever and goes even deeper with each character. Already have heavy speculations on what will happen in season 3.

Spoiler
    Also one of the best high school fight scenes I've ever seen. It's almost on par with classic kung fu and big budget superhero movies.

Oh nice, I recently got my girlfriend started on this, up through about episode 4. We'll have to wrap it up and move on to Season 2.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

Finally cought up with times and started watching this. Damn, I love it! Blasted through S1 in one day, in the middle of S2 right now - finishing it tonight probably with the Missus.

Awesome soundtrack also.