Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Chernobyl TV Show

Tags
chernobyl
3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  lespauled 
#1 ·

Started watching it some weeks ago (3 Eps have come out already). So far the show is AWESOME. Everything looks superb especially the acting, but with the actors chosen there's no wonders there. Jared Harris did a magnificent job on The Terror (another TV show) and is doing an even better job on Chernobyl

Dont miss this one guys, trust me it is that good :yesway:

See less See more
1 1
#15 ·
So I decided to watch this and ended up watching 3 episodes yesterday and the last 2 episodes today. It was definitely an excellent show and very well done. I think the main words that describe it are "horrifying" and "dread." I noticed that the Wikipedia page for it has the genre as "historical drama" and "tragedy." And I thought "Yeaaah, tragedy describes it pretty well." I do know that the show really exaggerates a lot, but that happens in any historical drama for the sake of making it more interesting and they did go to pretty far lengths to include a ton of info that isn't widely known about the disaster by people who haven't looked into it.

Not at all. It would have REALLY annoyed me if it had been in English with Russian/Ukrainian/Bellarussian accents, and I did find it kind of odd how they would have parts in Russian with no subtitles, then it would just switch to English, but overall, I thought doing it in English was the right approach. I mean, it was a US/UK co-production with no actors fluent in Russian (Stellan Skarsgård is the only actor on the show who I think actually speaks any degree of Russian, but I think he has a pretty strong Swedish accent in Russian). And even with the idea of getting Ukrainian and Russian actors to do it, the director, writer, producers, and other staff were all from the US, UK, Sweden, Iceland, and so on. If you're going to do the show in Russian/Ukrainian, it'd be best if the cast was fluent in those languages. Plus, you wouldn't be able to use actors from any countries except the former Soviet Union (I think it's better to use native Russian speakers than to have non-native speakers butcher the pronunciation just so you can have it in the historical language. Otherwise, what's the point? As a person example, 90% of the time I hear Japanese spoken in Hollywood movies, I just wish they'd either gotten native speakers or just had them speak in English since they usually use Chinese, Korean, or Asian-American actors whose pronunciation is pretty atrocious).

On the other hand, if it had been a Ukrainian or Russian company making the show, then yeah, it should've been in the original languages and I would have loved to watch it that way. But it was a US/UK production. :shrug: And I thought it was an amazing show.

#14 ·
Only now??? Oh man you are in for the BEST EVER mini series that passed on TV. I need to rewatch it in one go but lately I cant even watch a movie without falling asleep :(

For those that havent see it yet: DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!! You have no clue what you have been missing.

#13 ·
I added it to my list a few days ago since I remembered everyone saying it was really good (and I basically added an "HBO/Showtime subscription" add-on to my Amazon Prime account (well, the equivalent of it since HBO and Showtime do not exist in Japan) so I could watch Westworld Season 3). The fact that it's just one season and there won't be a second season makes me want to watch it soon all the more. :lol: I'm usually a bit more hesitant to start a show that already has multiple seasons or that is scheduled to take place over tons of seasons (and despite this, I still end up watching shows that are 10 seasons long :lol:). It being based on a historical event is probably a big reason for that.

#16 ·
I watched this when it came out, and it was absolutely fantastic. Radiation is a silent killer, so I felt they did a great job of making it "visible" to the viewer; people in town dancing on the bridge as dust floats down, the firemen all puking and dying, the general sense of fear and dread that was reflected whenever some task needed to be done, etc. Particularly frightening was the fireman who picked up a chunk of the graphite control rod sleeve, and was then screaming and holding his hand a few minutes later.

I was generally fine with the historical inaccuracies, since they were typically in the interest of conveying a message or simplifying the narrative for television. The communist party official who gives the coverup speech to the assembled plant managers didn't exist, but it was a brilliant scene that conveyed the attitude of the communist party at the time. The atomic scientist, Ulana Khomyuk, was basically an amalgamation of several different people working on the problem. The soldiers tasked with hunting down the stray animals were another creation to demonstrate things happening at the time.

I wanted to be sick when the series was over. Absolutely terrifying.

#19 ·
A bit OT here but also watch The Terror. Its the same main actor from Chernobyl (and some other amazing actors from ROME). Acting and Art Direction is brilliant as well. In fact let the Brits do all TV Shows since they really excel at it :)

#24 ·
Well, like it says there, all those people died because of the earthquake and tsunami, not because of the power plant. That text seems intentionally misleading, trying to couple the nuclear disaster with the loss of life - which had nothing to do with each other.:scratch:

The Fukushima disaster happened because of some terrible risk management. Firstly, I don't know if it's a good idea to put a nuclear power plant on a earthquake fault system, in addition the site was badly designed, and even then it could have been mitigated with timely action during the event.

Although if we're looking at the dangers of producing electricity, someone should make a disaster movie about coal power - it releases more radioactivity into the environment than nuclear power and has killed WAY more people than nuclear power.

"Compared with nuclear power, coal is responsible for five times as many worker deaths from accidents, 470 times as many deaths due to air pollution among members of the public, and more than 1,000 times as many cases of serious illness, according to a study of the health effects of electricity generation in Europe."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr...-to-2007-study/2011/03/22/AFQUbyQC_story.html

It's just not dramatic and scary like nuclear power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.