2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Spoiler
    I had always interpreted the end of the movie to mean that Bateman had never murdered anyone and that it was all in his head, but the director explained that it was just that the lawyer who claimed to have had lunch with Paul Allen/Owen recently was always getting names wrong and had actually had lunch with someone else and mistakenly thought it was Paul Allen/Owen. But at the same time, Bateman is such an unreliable narrator in the book and is so clearly insane that some critics also interpreted the book as him not having murdered anyone... or more specifically, that you couldn't tell who he had murdered or hadn't murdered or even if he had murdered anyone at all. I think I remember Ellis saying somewhere that he wanted the book to be very open to interpretation.
    Spoiler
    I completely agree that it is meant to be ambiguous, especially in the book. It's even ambiguous as to whether the Allen/Owen thing is multiple personalities or a case of stolen identity. Like Drew, I'm surprised the director gave any sort of clarification, since that ruins the intent.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Then, it jarringly switches gears to some of the most brutal, depraved horror every inked to a page, literally out of nowhere, before switching back to describing his haircut.
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, the depraved parts are just Blood Meridian for yuppies.

It's supposed to be transgressive and postmodern and all that pretentious jazz, and it's not quite as smug and self satisfied as other "OPEN TO INTERPRETATION" movies like Fight Club or anything else Chuck P. has done or Donnie Darko, but it's still overrated. It's the same boring, tired shit as Fight Club about the conflict between modern society and primal, visceral urges and all that. Boring.

As far as the "unreliable narrator" thing goes, there are books that did it earlier and better.

It's one of those books every single 32-34 year old college lit professor who thinks he is cool because he stands out side smoking cigarettes after class and creepily hits on all his female students and reads Kurt Vonnegut says he loved to try and appear edgy. He read it shortly after the year he spent traveling the US in his Volkswagon camper reading Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He was still immature then man. But now he's in his 30s and he reads American Psycho, a deep grown up book open to interpretation.

It's the epitome of "You going to cut yourself on all that edge, B.E.E.?"

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I forgot what it was like back when trailers spoonfed you the plotlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, the depraved parts are just Blood Meridian for yuppies.

It's supposed to be transgressive and postmodern and all that pretentious jazz, and it's not quite as smug and self satisfied as other "OPEN TO INTERPRETATION" movies like Fight Club or anything else Chuck P. has done or Donnie Darko, but it's still overrated. It's the same boring, tired shit as Fight Club about the conflict between modern society and primal, visceral urges and all that. Boring.

As far as the "unreliable narrator" thing goes, there are books that did it earlier and better.
    Spoiler
    I don't remember anything in Fight Club being even close to the description of one of his victim's rotting corpses, nailed to the floor with a nail, half hollowed out.

Spoiler
    I don't remember anything in Fight Club being even close to the description of one of his victim's rotting corpses, nailed to the floor with a nail, half hollowed out.
    American Psycho is just 1/3rd misogynistic shock horror, 1/3rd the theme that modern society somehow separates men from their primal more visceral urges, and 1/3rd a twist ending that the protagonist might not be as sane or reliable of a narrator as we have led to believe.

The idea that makes people think it's deep that "maybe the protagonist wasn't reliable or was losing their grip on sanity" is old as fuck. Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft both have that shit all over their work, outside of horror, Agatha Christie prominently featured it in "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".

All it has going for it is the theme that modern corporate society somehow represses traditional masculinity, which is the same tired shit as Fight Club. Try to find a good review of the book or the movie written by someone who isn't a dude. It's like a Hot Topic version of The Great Gatsby. I'm definitely not the only person who thinks it fucking sucks. Year by year, more and more people are re-evaluating and being like, "hey, beyond one or two signature scenes, this is really a fucking stupid story".

And yeah, compared to Blood Meridian, the horror elements do suck for a non sci-fi/fantasy/horror niche genre contender for "The Great American Novel".