Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Terminator: Dark Fate

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  406 
#1 ·
I've cross-posted this from my FB, so a few of you might already have seen my review. This is spoiler free, but since I'm on here and I can use spoiler tags, would love some discussion.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

8.5/10, maybe possibly a 9.

James ******* is back, and boy does it show. This feels like a true successor to T2, as it has been written to be. 80% of the film is just relentless action. Edge of your seat stuff in quite a few places. The new Terminator model (won't give away model names) feels almost every bit as terrifying as the T-1000, and a lot of that is down to the acting, part of it down to model he is.

The storyline takes quite an interesting arc, and you really do have to forget about Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genisys to take it all in.

There are quite a few subtle nods to the first two films, but more so T2, right down to certain camera angles at the right times, or certain songs playing, and I don't doubt that is down to *******'s influence.

I have one or two small gripes with the film, a few niggles with the storyline that probably won't bother many other people, but knowing how invested I am in the Terminator franchise, there was the odd thing. My main gripe, which again might not bother a lot of people, was certain scenes being shot at a strange choice of frames per second, giving some of the scenes a bit of the old 'soap opera effect'.

Overall, normally being the 3rd best film in a franchise would be off-putting, but when you remember 1st and 2nd slots go to the first two films, it's quite the achievement.

Absolutely go and see it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't seen it yet, but it really came out of nowhere. I was walking around and saw a poster for it being in theaters, and I was like "Wait, what? There's a new Terminator out? Why did they do zero marketing for it?" Kind of mindblowing that it went so far under the radar before release. I don't think I'll watch it in theaters, but I do plan to watch it once it's on home video (streaming, blu-ray, or whatever).

#12 ·
Just seen it and while it is not worse than Genysys, it still sucks. The first minutes rule, the first half an hour is good, then the story just takes a side turn, straight down the sitter.

Gonna watch Salvation tonight again, because although it has its flaws, that one actually rules. Fighting exoskeletons in a post apocalyptic wasteland > Family guy Terminator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.