Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The Expanse

Tags
expanse
6K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
Season 4 just dropped on Amazon, I'm excited to get to it this weekend. I got into the series late, but I was hooked after the first few episodes and binged the three available seasons in about a week. I'm considering reading the books since I enjoyed the show so much.

Anybody else watching?

#5 ·
I absolutely loved the style of Altered Carbon, though the story itself was maybe above average but nothing too amazing.

The Expanse has been in my list for a long time now (along with other stuff like Mr. Robot), but I just keep watching other stuff. I definitely need to check it out sometime, though.

#7 ·
I absolutely loved the style of Altered Carbon, though the story itself was maybe above average but nothing too amazing.
The story is a lot better in the books (which is always the case) but I'm right with you on the style of the show. They really did a great job with that dirty noir feel to it, where even the futuristic stuff feels dirty and run down. Very Blade Runner-esque.

#8 ·
I fucking love the Expanse. I’m on book 3 and I’ve watched the first 3 seasons, plus the first 2 of season 4. I’m totally hooked and it’s overtaken BSG reimagined as my favorite sci-fi franchise.

Altered Carbon starts really strong, but like Naren said, the plot is a little lackluster. Super engaging universe rife with RPG idea pilfering; The Expanse is included there too.

Mr. Robot is super rad as well, though I’m not a programmer, so some of that stuff went right over my head.

#19 ·
I'm about 5 episodes in and this season is boring, with a lot of talking and a lot of references to characters I do not remember since it's been over a year since I saw season 3.

And a lot of talking in belter voice. 5 people in a room all talking belter for 10 straight minutes grates on me. Right now this show feels like a slow wannabe Mass Effect. I'll finish out the season, but I'm in no rush because clearly they weren't either.

#23 ·
I didn't really have any issues with season 4 apart from Arjun's recasting, although S4 is based on what is arguably the weakest book in the series. I do wish that there was more pure Belter Creole dialogue in the show instead of just the odd phrase here and there.

#29 ·
I just finished watching Episode 4 of the new Season 5 and I have to say that, not only is Season 5 better than Season 4, it's also better than Season 3 and it might end up being even better than Seasons 1 and 2. The season starts out strong and just keeps getting stronger. It's still got 6 more episodes to go, but yeah, this is pretty awesome. :yesway:

#30 ·
I just finished watching Episode 4 of the new Season 5 and I have to say that, not only is Season 5 better than Season 4, it's also better than Season 3 and it might end up being even better than Seasons 1 and 2. The season starts out strong and just keeps getting stronger. It's still got 6 more episodes to go, but yeah, this is pretty awesome.
That's not setting my expectations too high then!! Just got to finish The Boys then this will become my lunchbreak watch.

#31 ·
Wife and I finished S1 of this and just started S2. I've read all of the books.

The Bobbie Draper casting job is fucking awful and anyone who doesn't think so is wrong. Casting Will Ferrell as Tywin Lannister would still have been a better choice than this.

Show is great otherwise, but bummed out to start S2 and see one of my favorite characters from the book be cast so poorly.

#33 ·
I thought so too early on but stick with it, she does get better as the plot twists come along. Currently halfway through Season 5 and I'm really enjoying it, not sure it's my favourite season yet but with this show the second half always gets intense.

#32 ·
I finished watching the last episode of Season 5 immediately after it aired a few days ago, and I have to say that Season 5 might be my favorite season, though Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely up there. Can't wait for Season 6 and have my fingers crossed that it doesn't really end up being the final season as they've said it will be.

#34 ·
Yeah, Bobbie might be a little rough in season 2, but she does get better afterwards. In terms of physical appearance, I really don't see how anyone other than Frankie Adams could play the role; with the exception of being about 20 cm shorter, she really does look exactly like book Bobbie.

Season 5 was great, but I feel that the way in which the episodes were directed and edited, the season would've been better suited for a binge release instead of a weekly one. The Amos/Peaches storyline was my favourite.

#36 ·
Season 5 was great, but I feel that the way in which the episodes were directed and edited, the season would've been better suited for a binge release instead of a weekly one. The Amos/Peaches storyline was my favourite.
I definitely agree with you there, on both points. I really like Drummer too, so I was glad she had a lot of screen time in Season 5.

Book Bobbie's demeanor as I recall is is closer to Brienne of Tarth, stately yet badass.- not oo-rah Michelle Rodriguez.

The rest of the show is brilliant so I'll give it a chance but man...
Like a lot of people, I didn't like the actress who played Bobbie in Season 2, but as time goes on, she grows on you. By this point, I don't have any more issues with her.

#39 ·
About the ending of 5x10 and the BTS drama:
So they changed and reshot some scenes in the season finale and killed off Alex, because the actor who played him got fired for turning out to be a predatory piece of shit. I thought they'd just recast the part, so I was quite surprised they killed him off. It actually worked remarkably well, and he died the same way Fred Johnson does in the books, who I was also surprised got killed off this season.

I guess Bull will be new pilot of the Roci? For those who haven't read the books, that's actually a little interesting, as they've done a bit of a switcheroo; Bull is a character from book 3 whose role was given to Drummer in the show, and he actually got killed off in the book. Drummer's first book appearance was in book 5, which season 5 is based on, and her role was given to Bull in the show. So I guess the writers having brought in Bull as a character, they could just kill off Alex instead of recasting him.

#40 ·
I purposefully held off until it was all out so I can do one a day, I've done the same with The Mandalorian.

I was thinking about Bobbie in Season 2, and it feels like it might even be an intentional part of her story arc. She's a bit annoying when she's going through perils on her own, but she becomes more likeable as her stories intertwine with other characters in later seasons. I particularly like the pairing in Season 5, I thought it was going that way and it works well.

#41 ·
So just finished Season 5 and it didn't quite grab me as much as 4, I would have thought it was great if 4 hadn't been so utterly, staggeringly brilliant. I think I missed the Roci crew interaction as they were all on seperate missions this time round.

I found the character twist at the end to be jarring, I get why it was done in the real world but a little more injection of drama would have sold me on it rather than 'two seconds and it's done'.

#42 ·
So just finished Season 5 and it didn't quite grab me as much as 4, I would have thought it was great if 4 hadn't been so utterly, staggeringly brilliant. I think I missed the Roci crew interaction as they were all on seperate missions this time round.

I found the character twist at the end to be jarring, I get why it was done in the real world but a little more injection of drama would have sold me on it rather than 'two seconds and it's done'.
Finished it yesterday and, yeah, absolute same here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.