Thread: No Mandalorian thread?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

No Mandalorian thread?

A little surprised by that.

I've been watching this with my girlfriend. Bulletpoint review:

1) It's entertaining - I can nitpick things here and there but it's been a lot of fun.
    2) I have no clue what or if there's going to be an overarching story, or if it's going to be a Lone Ranger style "The Incredible Adventures of the Mandalorian and his Sidekick, Baby Yoda."
    3) Baby Yoda steals pretty much every scene he's in. My girlfriend just coos and squeals uncontrollably whenever he comes on screen. We got caught up on episode 6 last night, and she had to go back afterwards and rewatch a few scenes because she didn't think Baby Yoda had a big enough role in this episode. I don't disagree.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

IMHO this series is the best "star wars" related thing since the original trilogy.

We finished e07 just 10 minutes ago,great episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    3) Baby Yoda steals pretty much every scene he's in. My girlfriend just coos and squeals uncontrollably whenever he comes on screen.
    Yeah, similar scenes in our household... Only that it's actually me who is cooing every time he is on.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
    IMHO this series is the best "star wars" related thing since the original trilogy.

We finished e07 just 10 minutes ago,great episode.

Yeah, similar scenes in our household... Only that it's actually me who is cooing every time he is on.
    I mean, I'm mostly just quieter than she is.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

I'm pretty much just watching it for Gina Carano(Cara Dune).

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Obviously I watch it. I had like, 200 different varieties of Boba Fett action figures as a kid, shit tons of different Slave I models, the Mandalorian Armor novels trilogy, the fucking works. I don't watch the episodes when they come out, I tried that on the first 4. The Episodes are so short it's a bummer, I actually thought they were going to release the whole season at once, Netflix style. It's better to wait until like, 3 are out at once you haven't seen and then marathon those.

Distribution style aside, I like it, obviously I'm not caught up yet, but good on Disney for actually keeping the helmet on all the time. That's an integral part of the mythos of the Mandalorian culture and I was really worried they were going to make it a "hey, look at this star or that star".

That said, as much as I like the show, as someone who has been a huge fan of the whole "Mandalorian mythos" thing since I was like, 7, I'm disappointed to see it getting so much mainstream attention. I feel like I have to take my Mythosaur skull stickers off stuff, because it's annoying to have people be like, "Yeah, I like that show too".

It was always mega popular among the fandom of course, but when shit like that gets too mainstream it's just not as cool if you were a fan before. I thought the idea of the Night's Watch was cool the first time I read the ASOIAF, but when the show came out and all the sudden like, people who weren't even in nerd subcultures were just throwing around catchphrases, it became not as fun. That said, I'm not stupid enough to think being a fan of all the Mandalorian stuff was ever mega obscure, Boba Fett's post Sarlaac Fate and the Mandalorian culture exploration in general was a huge part of what drove the EU boom in the '90s.

Show is cool though, even if I think the distribution strategy fucking sucks. Either make the episodes longer, or put it out all at once Netflix style. The whole "bite sized" format makes it harder to get invested.

But you know, once again, mega MEGA props to Disney for not throwing out a huge cornerstone of the mythical culture and have a bunch of characters taking off their helmets just to be like, "oh, I know that actor". Respect. That was a solid choice. Of course, I anticipate helmets will eventually come off, but as long as its in extreme moderation, that's fine. Since the inception, the cornerstone of the mythos, way predating the series was like, "You are seeing their real faces, they are a culture obsessed with cool battle armor". So the #1 fear was Disney was going to throw out that characterization, which I was glad to see they avoided.

And yeah, Baby Yoda. That's all that really needs to be said. Cultural phenomenon.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

A little surprised by that.
    I'm surprised there's no Watchmen thread as well.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I'm surprised that Drew started a TV show thread since he doesn't actually own a TV.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

2) I have no clue what or if there's going to be an overarching story, or if it's going to be a Lone Ranger style "The Incredible Adventures of the Mandalorian and his Sidekick, Baby Yoda."
    This season reminds me of the first two Witcher books. A series of short stories to introduce characters, situations, and the world to you, then an epic and more in-depth story once you're more familiar. Let's see what season 2 holds, because season 1 is just a series of short stories so far. Awesome ones, very reminiscent of quests in RPG games, but short stories for sure.