MG Reading List - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MG Reading List

Almost done with the first book of the Malazan series. Definitely gonna pick up the rest at some point. I also am really wanting to start on the Wayfinder Redemption. i picked up the first 3 books on a whim cause it looked cool, and they were 2-3$ each at a used book store.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    The Forever War - Joe Hadleman

Written back in 1976, this is almost the flip side of the coin politically to Starship Troopers. The main character, a physicist with over a 150 IQ, is drafted by the Elite Conscription act to fight the Taurans. The military gets around the universe by using collapsars, which are like worm holes that cover millions of light years in a split second, but travel to and from them still has massive relativistic effects. Earth is aging centuries while he is off fighting one battle. The folly of war, human stupidity, and the ever changing (and worsening) earth make for a highly entertaining, and sometimes quite depressing, read.

A friend handed this off to my wife, and she never read it, so I did. I can't believe I've been reading science fiction forever and never touched this. It is extremely well done, and the science is scary accurate. It's another infantry in suits book, but with a completely different take on it. The description of acceleration tanks alone is worth the read.
    I have an ancient paperback copy of that - it is a good book
    Another goodie from that era is Norman Spinrad's Men in the Jungle..

I just Picked up The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart. by Jesse Bullington.

Said brothers are nasty medieval grave robbers. The book has a lot of gruesome Horror and at times reminds me of Lovecraft, the Anubis Gates and the Hammer of the Witches. (and turnips)
    The book is very dark but really funny and entertaining

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWf2oCMWREI&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The Brothers Grossbart on Sin[/VIDEO]

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

Basically A guy gets sent to hell for 11 years (while still alive....) and after he comes back to earth he sets out for revenge on the people that sent him there,

Its very hard boiled/noir-ish and pretty entertaining. I picked it up on a whim at a bookstore that was closing (got it for half price )

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2

I just picked up the next 2 books in the Malazan series (Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice) even though the first one was really slow and mediocre. I figured since everyone has a hard on for it I'd give the next books a shot

Tomorrow I am Picking up Kraken by China Mieville

British fantasist MieÌüville mashes up cop drama, cults, popular culture, magic, and gods in a Lovecraftian New Weird caper sure to delight fans of Perdido Street Station and The City & the City. When a nine-meter-long dead squid is stolen, tank and all, from a London museum, curator Billy Harrow finds himself swept up in a world he didn't know existed: one of worshippers of the giant squid, animated golems, talking tattoos, and animal familiars on strike. Forced on the lam with a renegade kraken cultist and stalked by cops and crazies, Billy finds his quest to recover the squid sidelined by questions as to what force may now be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. Even MieÌüville's eloquent prose can't conceal the meandering, bewildering plot, but his fans will happily swap linearity for this dizzying whirl of outrageous details and fantastic characters.
    He is an amazing author

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

I'm finishing up the last Black Company book this week (Soldiers Live), and then moving on to a Malazan novella called Crack'd Pot Trail.

After that, a break from the genre to the Grapes of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm finishing up the last Black Company book this week (Soldiers Live), and then moving on to a Malazan novella called Crack'd Pot Trail.

After that, a break from the genre to the Grapes of Wrath.
    Tom Joad Awaits

Chris You Need to pick up Perdido Street Station BY China Mieville after you finish Wrath I know you would dig it

"A Long Way Gone: The True Story of a Child Soldier" - Ishmael Beah

More of a memoir of a time in Beah's life when he was recruited by the government troops during the civil war in Sierra Leone. He was around 13 at the time and bore witness to some of the horrific atrocities that befell many during the decade long war that made an entire country homeless.

Parts of the story are truly heart-breaking. Some critics have raised questions of authenticity of some of the events. Regardless, if you can look past these questions you can imagine that somewhere in Sierra Leone at that time, it was entirely possible someone - a child - could've experienced the traumatic events that unfold within the story even if it isn't Beah himself.

Wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone.
    "I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth." - Oliver Reed

"America blaming BP for the oil spill is like a man punching a prostitute in the face because his own needs disgust him." - Stewart Lee