Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MG Reading List

21K views 66 replies 35 participants last post by  Vince 
#1 ·
inspired by Dave's Enders Game reference thread, i think we should have a solid reading list, because i love to read, and i don't have time to start a crappy book. so, list your favorite reads, categorized by: sci-fi, non-fiction, war, political, contains vikings, mystical, etc. let's keep this thread to listing, and no discussion (just your mini-review), to keep it from getting cluttered. if you have more to add, edit your post.

i'll go first.

Science / Non-fiction:
Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark
  • basically, Sagan writes about science as a motive in life, rather than just a job. it's pretty interesting the way he describes his past experiences and whatnot. if you think of science as your religion (or your creed or whatever), then you should definitely read this one.

War:
Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War
  • Caputo writes about his experiences in Vietnam in a factual sense. he writes about what happened, and doesn't really give you any spin, which i found really inspiring and interesting, as all i've ever heard about Vietnam was, "man, it was totally bad." first hand account > *

Historical Fiction
Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Devil on the Cross
  • this story focuses on the travels of a Kenyan female as she meets characters based on the different social groups in the country. it's a story of colonialism, theft, and anger, and was written by Thiong'o on toilet paper as the author had been arrested as a political prisoner.

See less See more
#63 ·
Bumping this, because for some reason my favorite book never makes it into these lists, but everyone I recommend it to loves it...

Short reviews of each book:

Roger Zelazny

There's an omnibus edition with all 10 books on Amazon for under $20...if you click on the 'look inside' tab on the cover of the book you can check out the first couple chapters...Zelazny was a master:

Amazon.com: The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber) (0071001020007): Roger Zelazny: Books

The omnibus is around 1200-1300 pgs, and I read it at least once a year, every year, and have since I first found the series at 17......I'm 39 now. It's truly fantasy of a superior order.

Also, I think it's dope as hell that a forum full of metalheads reads.

#65 ·
Bumping this, because for some reason my favorite book never makes it into these lists, but everyone I recommend it to loves it...

Short reviews of each book:

Roger Zelazny
The Amber series is quite good (especially the first few books) but I did not like the latter books as much.

I have been on a flintlock fantasy kick of late (Magic + Black Powder)

It started with http://www.amazon.com/At-Queens-Command-Michael-Stackpole/dp/159780200X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y by Michael Stackpole I have yet to read the second book in the series (it has different characters and is not really related to the first book)

Basically it is a fantasy version of early America (French and Indian War period) and like most of Stapole's stuff is a good read.

I just finished up http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Name...1389194261&sr=1-1&keywords=the+thousand+names By Django Wexler

This is quite good actually - Reminded me of Sharpe's Rifles with magic. There is not a ton of magical stuff in it but what there is of it fits very very well.

Just started on http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Blood...389194329&sr=1-2&keywords=powder+mage+trilogy by Brian McClellan

This is pretty good so far. It starts off with a coup and the execution of much of the nobility. (in their sleep because many of them are pretty powerful wizards).

#64 ·
I'm listening to the Dark Tower series by Stephen King on Audible right now. Started reading it many years and never finished, so I'm starting over. Just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole and into Wolves of the Calla now. So far Audible has been working out pretty good for listening at work.

#66 ·
I've read the first 7 books of the Chronicles of Amber, but never got too deep into the Merlin Cycle. It just wasn't as interesting as Corwin's.

I FINALLY read The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson which I've been very very very slowly reading over the past year. It was an okay book, but seriously paled in comparison to the original Mistborn trilogy. I've had The Lies of Locke Lamora for even longer and haven't even opened it up (still has it's price tag in Japanese on it).

I've recently been reading Book of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Very experimental book, which is very creepy. I'm about 200 pages into it so far and it's pretty damn fucking awesome. Yes.

House of Leaves: Mark Z. Danielewski: 9780375703768: Amazon.com: Books

I also bought Glen Cook's The Chronicles of The Black Company this past weekend and plan to read that after I finish House of Leaves. :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.