Which of the recent Assassins Creed games wasn't shitty?
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which of the recent Assassins Creed games wasn't shitty?

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Which of the recent Assassins Creed games wasn't shitty?

I loved the OG and all of the Ezio ones - got every achievement and consider them in my all time favorite games. I finished but didn't particularly care for the American Revolution one, and couldn't get into Black Flag because the world just felt lifeless. Too big, too little actually going on, and too many minigames...

I think there's been like 32 releases since then. Which one should I get into?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II
    PSN: nc_13_uk

The last couple were good. My review of the series would be identical to yours as well

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Oddly enough, Black Flag was my favorite of the bunch. Then the series just plummeted into grindy checklists of every latter day Ubisoft sandboxes for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C
    PSN: desertdweller56
    Steam: desertdweller_56

They lost their way story-wise with Black Flag, Unity, and Syndicate. That thread went nowhere and they killed off the big bad in a comic book. BF and Unity were still fun though.

They rebooted the series with Origins and Odyssey, and the third in that trilogy is coming out later this year. Origins is the best Assassin's Creed game since AC2. Odyssey is fun, but it was incredibly long and bloated and trying so hard to be Witcher 3. But it does have the best naval combat in the series.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8
    XBL: EvilIncorporatd
    PSN: EvilIncorporated

I would not recommend Unity or Syndicate. Black Flag is very good, but I wouldn't recommend it as a point to jump back into the series.

If you're gonna get into something new, I'd say Origins is the best. Odyssey is good, but it's also very annoying (I've ranted to Vince a lot about how annoying it can be). Odyssey puts up all these annoying level gates so you can't just play the main story like you can in most AC games. Origins, however, doesn't have any of Odyssey's annoying elements. Let me say that Odyssey IS a good game. It's just got a lot of flaws. Origins is probably the best AC game of the past 5+ years.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Origins it is, then. I just want to walk around assassin-ing with some cool puzzles in between. I don't care for all the naval battles and minigames.

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605
    XBL: MadLadLayton

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Origins downside, is the bow system. I got along fine with it while playing, but looking back, it's not something I'd care to do again.

And yes, the world's now are massive compared to the AC2 days, I've got like ...2 weeks of full playtime in Odyssey but my story percentage is only 50% cause I spend half my time sailing and doing side quests. I really hope they scale it back for Kingdom/Ragnarok, since a dozen fetch quests of "go deliver this for a trillion XP and more money than it's worth" offers me nothing in terms of gameplay value.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C
    PSN: desertdweller56
    Steam: desertdweller_56

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Origins downside, is the bow system. I got along fine with it while playing, but looking back, it's not something I'd care to do again.

And yes, the world's now are massive compared to the AC2 days, I've got like ...2 weeks of full playtime in Odyssey but my story percentage is only 50% cause I spend half my time sailing and doing side quests. I really hope they scale it back for Kingdom/Ragnarok, since a dozen fetch quests of "go deliver this for a trillion XP and more money than it's worth" offers me nothing in terms of gameplay value.
    Odyssey is a gorgeous game and i put a couple months into playing it and completing it. The combat was really fun, as was hunting down the cult. The story was complete nonsense and I doubt I'd play through the game again, but it was fun while it lasted.