Anybody work or dabble in 3D animation software?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody work or dabble in 3D animation software?

ME: 80s Carruthers strat
    MA: 90's era Fender 12 string
    MB: Ibanez ATK300 (MIK)
    Rig: Danelectro Honeytone

Anybody work or dabble in 3D animation software?

My 9 year old son has been interested in learning how to do this. It's nothing i have any knowledge of so we searched free program reviews and chose Blender. He's only begun a couple nights ago using tutorials, and i plan to try and learn some of the basics to help him, at least in the beginning.

Is Blender a good choice or are there better options in the free software selections you would recommend? Anyone have any experience with Blender? We're running it on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 14.

Thanks.
    "40 is the new 80." - jaxadam

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I'm a 3D Character Animator.

Yes Blender is a good choice, although I dont use it but I need to start looking at it again since that now they totally revamped it with version 2.8 and for the better.

The Industry standard is Maya, especially for Character Animation, but by the time he grows up and want a job on it who knows what tool will still be relevant.

Also and even though its a dying "form" of communication... make him get used to forums like this:

https://blenderartists.org/

https://www.blendernation.com/

https://forums.cgsociety.org/c/addit...ftware/blender

BLender changed a lot on this recent version (2.8) so he might be lost if trying to follow tutorials for older versions. Its a matter of time until the web will be filled with tutorials (free and paid) for the new version.

The source of knowledge forums have is immense and he can browse for even more knowledge if he needs and he will. 3D is so vast that initially he will start doing a bit of everything but sooner or later he will start to specialize, being on Modeling or Animation or Character Animation or VFX etc. Its a never ending learning process.

I would also advise to give him a proper PC. 14 " is just to small of a screen and he will get eyesight tired and he is too young for that. Protect him now and he will thank you later. Any cheap 20"-21" inch screen will be better to look at than a tiny Laptop one.
    Last edited by mpexus; 08-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605
    XBL: MadLadLayton

I have my BS in Game Design, we learned mainly on 3DS Max and started doing Maya in our senior year; I vastly preferred Max over it. Honestly, if he's starting with Blender that early, he'll be fine switching over to whatever industry standard is at the time, as the Blender UI shotguns you with everything whereas Autodesk breaks them out into separate tool palettes.

And sadly yes, networking is a HUGE part of the industry, and was my least favorite aspect of it. Felt like whoring myself out instead of just making organic connections and friendships with someone because of their work.

I appreciate the feedback on screen size. I'll look into that. Am old colleague of mine now works for Ubisoft and mentioned 3D S Max, and told me students could get a free version, but i didn't even know where to begin with that so i figured blender was easier to obtain.

It's funny, he already told me some of the tutorial screens look a little different than his version, so you are on the money there.

Also, at 9 years old I'll have to monitor any forum communications he has but i appreciate the heads up the networking aspect.

He is so young that SOftware isn't really a thing for him right now. Let him use what he likes best. He needs to learn the concept of 3D first, then he will dissect it and learn the craft along the way. Its not bad to be really into it, but remind him there's a life outside of it and he shouldn't obsess too much.

Networking is a big part of this career, and Grades mean shit. It's your portfolio that speaks for you. You can have all the courses you want or can buy but at the end of the day, if your Portfolio or Reel as we call it doesn't cut it you wont get a job. But this is just too soon talk for him

Also Networking is enjoyable, I meet so many people from so many different places and countries that for it alone is more than worth it.

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605
    XBL: MadLadLayton

Quote Originally Posted by Suho View Post
    Also, at 9 years old I'll have to monitor any forum communications he has but i appreciate the heads up the networking aspect.
    On second thought, maybe hold off on that until he gets the hang of modelling and creating objects; not to say anyone out there will knowingly shit on a 9 year old who just started, but it can be a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to feedback in the arts.

For you, I'd also recommend looking into the current state of the VFX/Game Industries working conditions if his interests continue. Currently, they're brutal and it sounds like much like my field (MEP Engineering), a race to the bottom despite profits being at an all time high.

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Also Networking is enjoyable, I meet so many people from so many different places and countries that for it alone is more than worth it.
    I'm totally fine with talking with people online, I've been on forums since starting with the OG Xbox back in like, 2001. But when a teacher makes you go to like, meetings twice a month for gaming talks and shit like that and expects you to just sit down with random strangers to talk about what you're working on? That's when I want nothing to do with it. I don't drink, and the bar scene is nothing I care for, but for some reason that's where they all seemed to take place.