The Build-a-PC thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Build-a-PC thread

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Why are you having issues with Reaper? I had it running fine on my laptop years ago with only 4GB of RAM. I've seen guys run Reaper on a Surface Go, your PC should be fine even at 8 GB of RAM.
    Should have clarified, not issues with "Reaper", issues with instances of VSTs running in Reaper.

Shit like Kontakt is a resource hog. If you want to run like, 8 instruments at the same time in Kontakt, you need a serious system.

REAPER itself is great, very small footprint, love it.

And yeah, the future is all SSD. You can't go back.

I actually switched because of games. There are a bunch of games that pretty much require SSDs if you don't want to stare at a loading screen for 10 minutes these days.

In terms of system resources, Kontakt is actually more intensive than most games. Some vsts have super small footprints and run fine even if you are running 100 instances of them, others.....not so much.

EVGA is also my preffered brand. I was actually going to bring that up in response to Marcuses point, brand definitely matters. Some of the cheaper builders use sketchy OEM shit, it might be the same "card", but an EVGA one vs. one of the budget builders "by someone or other" is no contest.

I actually figured that out when I ordered my first PC instead of building it. Sure it had a Nvidia 6600 GT, but it was some cheapo OEM version that didn't even have a fan, it just had a heatsink.

You definitely have to stick with good brands. Corsair, Crucial, Gigabyte, Asus, etc. are my go-tos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    I always build my own. Have done since I was 8 years old. Just bought a new rig for my buddy yesterday, just awaiting on the parts. We were going to go fully custom watercooling again, but we decided on a Corsair AIO cooler instead. Specs are as follows;

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    Asus ROG X570 motherboard
    Corsair Dominator - 32GB @ 3000MHz
    Corsar Gen4 nVME M.2 SSD - 1TB
    Saffire RX 5700 XT
    Corsair 1000w PSU
    Corsair H150i Pro cooler
    Corsair 680X case

Cooler, case and additional 120mm fans are are all RGB, linking into iCue along with his existing Corsair keyboard and mouse. All just to play World of Warcraft

This is replacing a 2 year old system which is a 6700K and GTX1080 FE, Gen 3 Samsung 960 Evo nVME SSD, and 8GB RAM (Team Group Vulcan)
    Liquid is for peasants, phase change or GTFO.

Also, I re-read your post 3 times, thinking, "I'm sure I just missed the spot where he mentioned DOOM: Eternal.

But I didn't. DOOM: Eternal was not mentioned once. What is wrong with you?

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla
    XBL: BlankPlank91
    PSN: BlankPlank
    Steam: BlankPlank

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Liquid is for peasants, phase change or GTFO.

Also, I re-read your post 3 times, thinking, "I'm sure I just missed the spot where he mentioned DOOM: Eternal.

But I didn't. DOOM: Eternal was not mentioned once. What is wrong with you?
    Me? Nothing wrong with me, I've already taken the day off work and I'm planning a GPU upgrade before then Oddly, my pc is used pretty much exclusively for audio engineering atm so my current GPU is old as fuck (HD7870), just had no reason to upgrade as most of my gaming is done on my PS4 or Switch right now. Just convenient to game in the living room where the wife can sit with me, than have her whinge at me because I spend all my time in the studio playing games instead

I won't be going too nuts with the upgrade. Think I'll be grabbing an RX580, a 1TB SATA M.2 (my board has 1x nVME and 1x SATA M.2 ports), and upping my RAM to 16GB. Currently got a 1600x, 8GB Corsair Dominator, and Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's. Will move the Vertex 4 into my laptop as it can run both an mSATA and a SATA3 drive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    I actually find Reaper/Kontakt more of a pain to build for than games these days. Can never have enough RAM. IIRC when I built it for Fallout 4 I had 8 Gigs in there, after using Kontakt, I threw in another 16, could still use more.
    Truth.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C
    PSN: desertdweller56
    Steam: desertdweller_56

I always build my own. Have done since I was 8 years old. Just bought a new rig for my buddy yesterday, just awaiting on the parts. We were going to go fully custom watercooling again, but we decided on a Corsair AIO cooler instead. Specs are as follows;

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    Saffire RX 5700 XT
    Corsair 1000w PSU
    Corsair H150i Pro cooler
    Corsair 680X case

Cooler, case and additional 120mm fans are are all RGB, linking into iCue along with his existing Corsair keyboard and mouse. All just to play World of Warcraft

This is replacing a 2 year old system which is a 6700K and GTX1080 FE, Gen 3 Samsung 960 Evo nVME SSD, and 8GB RAM (Team Group Vulcan)
    This is a pretty great build. Did you go with the stock 5700 XT with the blower, or did you score the Saffire Pulse aftermarket card? I was waiting for several weeks for the Pulse to come in stock and decided to snag the RTX 2070 instead of waiting. I did get a fairly high-end 2070, the Ultra XC, but I still would've liked to have gone all PCIe 4.0 (for novelty at least) with my new build.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies
    XBL: wildealien

I used PC Part Picker to build a hack-pro, which ran for about two years just fine, but I couldn't update it, because my buddy did the install, and that shit was complex . To keep things protected, I dumped it and went with Win10. It's still running solid!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wildea...d/#view=pfXwrH

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla
    XBL: BlankPlank91
    PSN: BlankPlank
    Steam: BlankPlank

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    This is a pretty great build. Did you go with the stock 5700 XT with the blower, or did you score the Saffire Pulse aftermarket card? I was waiting for several weeks for the Pulse to come in stock and decided to snag the RTX 2070 instead of waiting. I did get a fairly high-end 2070, the Ultra XC, but I still would've liked to have gone all PCIe 4.0 (for novelty at least) with my new build.
    That's exactly the card. He's just dropped the ball on me that now he DOES want to go full custom cooling again, but next year. Great

I've also just looked and priced up some different RAM for my rig. Rather than jumping to 16GB, I think I'll be jumping to 32GB instead, as it's only £152 for the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT at 3200MHz. So I'd be jumping from 8GB @ 3000MHz, to 32GB @ 3200MHz. Unsure on latency, but considering most of my work is in a DAW, sheer capacity trumps latency there anyways.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL
    XBL: yuecchi
    PSN: enthauptet
    Steam: enthauptet

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    Saffire RX 5700 XT
    Corsair 1000w PSU
    Corsair H150i Pro cooler
    Corsair 680X case
    Just like Corsair? Their memory is really overpriced. Team or G.Skill are my go-to these days. Generally the higher binned chips are 3200/c14, 3600/c16 or 4000/c18.

Also don't go for custom water loop if you don't have at least double the amount of money able to be put into the rig. It's not a worthwhile investment and this is from someone that's spent a lot on it.

Also unless the new bios update next week helps it a lot, don't get the 3800X over the 3700X they boost to the same clock speed.