Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Build-a-PC thread

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla
    XBL: BlankPlank91
    PSN: BlankPlank
    Steam: BlankPlank

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    Just like Corsair? Their memory is really overpriced. Team or G.Skill are my go-to these days. Generally the higher binned chips are 3200/c14, 3600/c16 or 4000/c18.

Also don't go for custom water loop if you don't have at least double the amount of money able to be put into the rig. It's not a worthwhile investment and this is from someone that's spent a lot on it.

Also unless the new bios update next week helps it a lot, don't get the 3800X over the 3700X they boost to the same clock speed.
    Aye, he's a Corsair whore to be fair. He's not short a penny either, so custom cooling is no issue. It's going to be as much a spectacle as a functional rig, so will just do as I'm told He was gonna go 3900x and RTX2080 before I persuaded him otherwise, if that's any indication of the kind of person we're talking here...

The price on the 3800x was about £5 difference compared to the 3700x, so figured fuck it.

I'm still looking at RAM for my own rig, and the newer Team and G.Skill stuff does look fucking boss. Will have to see how it stacks compared to the Ballistix stuff I've been looking at.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

Just upgraded my rig from my old Cyberpower case and to a Thermaltake View 31 that I scored on ebay for hella cheap with a Asus Z-170 mobo I got for $20 at Sweetwater over Gearfest along with 16 gigs of 3000mhz DDR4. Already had a 1060 in my old case so I just swapped it right in there and I've been having a blast with some more memory-intense games. Only problem I have now is upgrading the processor (currently have an i5 7400) which the best I can do on this board is a 7700k which still regularly go for $250+ on the used market. I'm thinking of waiting for Black Friday and just swapping the mobo/proc for 3rd Gen Ryzen since I would be paying the same for the mobo/processor as the 7700k and get better memory use as well as PCI-E 4.0 in the near future.

Also, it may destroy your wallet but this thread is worth subscribing to: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL
    XBL: yuecchi
    PSN: enthauptet
    Steam: enthauptet

Quote Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
    Just upgraded my rig from my old Cyberpower case and to a Thermaltake View 31 that I scored on ebay for hella cheap with a Asus Z-170 mobo I got for $20 at Sweetwater over Gearfest along with 16 gigs of 3000mhz DDR4. Already had a 1060 in my old case so I just swapped it right in there and I've been having a blast with some more memory-intense games. Only problem I have now is upgrading the processor (currently have an i5 7400) which the best I can do on this board is a 7700k which still regularly go for $250+ on the used market. I'm thinking of waiting for Black Friday and just swapping the mobo/proc for 3rd Gen Ryzen since I would be paying the same for the mobo/processor as the 7700k and get better memory use as well as PCI-E 4.0 in the near future.

Also, it may destroy your wallet but this thread is worth subscribing to: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
    6700k and 7700k are basically the same cpu if you can find that one for less, the 7000 was just a clock speed bump refresh

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

^ Hellyeah that's good to know. I know I can do some decent overclocking on this board so if I can snatch up a cheap 6700k that might be another option to consider.

ME: Jackson SL3X
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150
    Steam: /Hellion_Blade

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The case is some DIYPC case. don't remember the model number but it works just fine. plenty of room and fan slots.
    i7 7700k delidded and overclocked to 5.0GHz(I had more thermal headroom to go higher but didn't really need it for anything. Delidding dropped my temps by 25C or more depending on the task. i couldn't clear 4.9GHz before the delid.)
    Cooler Master MA620P Twin Tower Air Cooler
    ASUS TUF Z270 Mark I Motherboard
    16GB Corsair Vengence 2133mhz LPX running at 2400mhz
    Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (ASUS STRIX AIB model)
    2x 1TB WD HDDs @ 7200RPMs
    500GB WD Caviar Blue NVME SSD
    Corsair 750M Modular PSU
    All my case fans are made my Artic(as in Artic Silver thermal paste) they were cheap too. like $26 for a 5 pack and they're all PWM and daisy chainable.

been wanting to do a x299 build just for the fun of it. never tried a water loop before.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C
    PSN: desertdweller56
    Steam: desertdweller_56

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The case is some DIYPC case. don't remember the model number but it works just fine. plenty of room and fan slots.
    i7 7700k delidded and overclocked to 5.0GHz(I had more thermal headroom to go higher but didn't really need it for anything. Delidding dropped my temps by 25C or more depending on the task. i couldn't clear 4.9GHz before the delid.)
    Cooler Master MA620P Twin Tower Air Cooler
    ASUS TUF Z270 Mark I Motherboard
    16GB Corsair Vengence 2133mhz LPX running at 2400mhz
    Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (ASUS STRIX AIB model)
    2x 1TB WD HDDs @ 7200RPMs
    500GB WD Caviar Blue NVME SSD
    Corsair 750M Modular PSU
    All my case fans are made my Artic(as in Artic Silver thermal paste) they were cheap too. like $26 for a 5 pack and they're all PWM and daisy chainable.

been wanting to do a x299 build just for the fun of it. never tried a water loop before.
    Nice man! How are you liking the m.2 SSD?

ME: Jackson SL3X
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150
    Steam: /Hellion_Blade

dude i love it. my board has 2 m.2 slots, ones flush to the board and the other sticks out straight like a typically pcie card. its lightning fast and takes up no space in the case so I'm super happy with it. load times are cut really short and boot time is less than 30 seconds including post.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C
    PSN: desertdweller56
    Steam: desertdweller_56

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    dude i love it. my board has 2 m.2 slots, ones flush to the board and the other sticks out straight like a typically pcie card. its lightning fast and takes up no space in the case so I'm super happy with it. load times are cut really short and boot time is less than 30 seconds including post.
    My experience is similar too. Though it wasn't a huge jump for me b/c I've been running SSDs for about 5 or 6 years now. With my new M.2 drive, after POST and the motherboard's splash screen, it's literally 4 seconds into Windows. Insanity.