INFO : A new PC for the wife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INFO : A new PC for the wife

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal
    XBL: wildealien

INFO : A new PC for the wife

So my poor wife asked me something about something on her computer, and in troubleshooting discovered (or rather, was shocked to recall) that it's from 2012. This injustice cannot stand.

I'm looking at getting her a new machine. No screaming gamer PC's, but obviously no shitboxes either . She uses some graphics programs, and has done video editing in the past, so I'd like to have that available if she wants to do it again. Win10 preferred. We were all-Mac for a while, but Apple has lost its damn mind, and my Win10 machine (built ~4 years ago) is running pretty smoothly.

Budget, ~$600.

Any suggestions on pre-built machines? Things to avoid? I'm not up on the latest/greatest, so I'm a bit lost. I built mine, but I have heavy assistance from a buddy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Also, damn, from the dates on that old thread, my current computer (what I'm on now) was built in Dec 2015.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Unless you have any super specific requirements, just go to Toms Hardware and go their latest build article and pick the one in your price range and go and buy the parts.

Is that $600 price range inclusive of case/hard drives/power supply?

$600 > CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM

and

$600 > CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM/Case/Hard Drives/Power Supply

Are two different price brackets obviously. The first one can get you something that will be going for quite a while, the second is pretty cramped.

I just built a new one. Mobo is usually the first thing you decide on. There are 2-3 manufacturers you want to stick with. Gigabyte and ASUS are always solid. Though at that price range, I think ASUS has the "ASRock" line or whatever.

Don't buy pre-built, always buy the parts off newegg. Screwdriver + 15 minutes and you are good to go. Ever since I "built" my first PC I always found the term "built" to be sort of overstating it. It's like, the lego sets intended for 7 year old children.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

If you can find a used GPU you can save quite a bit of cash right there and since you're not going gaming-centric on it you can probably go a couple generations back to save on that. As for procs/mobo the Ryzen stuff has come down in price significantly and is all-in-all great bang for the buck. With Garrett's suggestion I've had some good luck with MSI and Asrock boards but some of the Asrock's cheaper stuff is underwhelming, but in no way is their high-tier stuff just low-end Asus (they are their own brand I believe). If you go second gen Ryzen the B450 and its variants is a pretty great set of boards. The way I'd do it is to budget per item and go from there, but I'd say definitely don't skimp on the PSU/mobo if you can. At $600 you can find some mid-tier stuff that might just be a little bit older than current gen and waiting for sales on some components can go a long way. Newegg's had some great sales lately, and the https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ thread is awesome and has all sorts of deals posted at all hours of the day and has saved me a good deal of dough in the process.

$600 is all inclusive, but I think it's more in line with what I'm seeing on the market vs what my wife needs. I'm seeing pretty nice pre-built machines for ~$900 that would suit her well for a couple years, but I know I could build one of those myself for ~$500. My current machine was spec'd to be a Mac Pro (circa 2015), which were going for something like $2500 at the time, and my entire system ran me $950.

I think the building part scares me a bit because my machine we went with Hackintosh compatible parts, and then the OS install was insane. If I'm just going with Wintrash, it shouldn't be too hard, as that install on this machine (converted from Mac OS to Win 10) went pretty smoothly, aside from an incompatibility on the wireless card. That, and I've got a toddler, two bands, not to mention a wife, so time is a factor

Quote Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
    If you can find a used GPU you can save quite a bit of cash right there and since you're not going gaming-centric on it you can probably go a couple generations back to save on that. As for procs/mobo the Ryzen stuff has come down in price significantly and is all-in-all great bang for the buck. With Garrett's suggestion I've had some good luck with MSI and Asrock boards but some of the Asrock's cheaper stuff is underwhelming, but in no way is their high-tier stuff just low-end Asus (they are their own brand I believe). If you go second gen Ryzen the B450 and its variants is a pretty great set of boards. The way I'd do it is to budget per item and go from there, but I'd say definitely don't skimp on the PSU/mobo if you can. At $600 you can find some mid-tier stuff that might just be a little bit older than current gen and waiting for sales on some components can go a long way. Newegg's had some great sales lately, and the https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ thread is awesome and has all sorts of deals posted at all hours of the day and has saved me a good deal of dough in the process.
    Good info, thanks! I really liked using pcpartpicker.com last time, and will probably use it again. I'll have to check that subreddit, though!

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

What don't you like about Apple? I have a 2019 iMac now but I still have my old one that I use as a shop machine in my basement. It's a 2009 and still runs reaper with a pile of plugins with no issues at all. Good luck doing that with a 10 year old Windows box.

That aside - front load your budget on CPU/Mobo, because everything else is cheap and easy to switch out later on. And if you want to edit video, it's CPU > RAM > Everything else in that order.

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

Pc Part Picker is awesome and yeah if you're just going Windows 10 it should be really easy to stay within budget the way prices have been going down as the newer tech is getting both better and cheaper. I thought I got a good deal on my mobo/processor (X470 Gaming Plus and Ryzen 7 2700x) and the pricing went down even more during the holidays. A lot of it is due to AMD pushing out their new stuff pretty quick but they've been bringin' their A-Game as far as price to performance goes. Intel's gonna have a hard time staying competitive for at least the next 2 years from what I've seen from their new lineup.