The Division 2 is $3 right now, just fyi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Division 2 is $3 right now, just fyi

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I wonder if that's it. I know there are tons of people who LOVE Borderlands and play it obsessively and I've never understood it. I played Borderlands back in 2009 for about 3 hours or so and it bored the fuck out of me so much that I never played any more of it and none of the sequels. Is it just that it's insanely boring at the beginning and gets better later? I've just assumed that it was a mindblowingly bad game that for some reason lots of people loved.
    The first 3-4 hours of every Borderlands game are boring as fuck and then it picks up. That's seriously how every game in the series is paced. The start is like, "I want to quit this stupid shit, this is mind numbingly dull", and then when you get to the 40-50% mark of the main plot you get super engrossed in it and marathon the rest. Borderlands only has two speeds for plot progression, whether it's the main quest or the side ones, dull and slowing moving as fuck, or so fast paced and exciting you can't quit. There is no in between whatsoever. I'm a big fan of the series, and Borderlands 2 is pretty much universally regarded as good an the highlight of the franchise, but that game doesn't really start until you get to Sanctuary, and it only gets really good when Sanctuary is airborne.

I got Borderlands 2 back in like, 2013-2014 and the first time I tried to play it I was like, "This fucking blows, worst game ever". And it sat unplayed in my Steam library for years. The first 2-3 hours of any Borderlands game are the most miserable shit ever. There's no plot to care about, the zones are dull and barren as fuck, you have no skills, and you don't have any cool weapons.

None of the games are like getting a new Elder Scrolls when it comes out and you are instantly engrossed in the mechanics and world. The first bit of the game is always just wandering around a barren world doing stupid shit.
    The main plot of 3 isn't quite as good as the main plot of 2. but the 35-40%->100% mark of the main plot on each is highly enjoyable.

It's hard to get into if you don't know the series, because there are a shit ton of recurring characters who just show up and you are expected to know who they are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

I wonder if that's it. I know there are tons of people who LOVE Borderlands and play it obsessively and I've never understood it. I played Borderlands back in 2009 for about 3 hours or so and it bored the fuck out of me so much that I never played any more of it and none of the sequels. Is it just that it's insanely boring at the beginning and gets better later? I've just assumed that it was a mindblowingly bad game that for some reason lots of people loved.
    I played the hell out of the first one when I had time to co-op and loved it. I played through BL2 solo twice, including just about all the DLC.

BL3 I can't get into despite really loving the franchise and giving it a good 15-20 hours. It just feels lifeless. Garrett's probably right, I'm sure it picks up I just stopped giving a shit and put it next to Red Dead 2, the latest Gears game and Mass Effect 4 in the Pile Of Disappointing Games.

Did you do red dead 2 on console or pc?

Other than an overloaded launch week, RDR2 is pretty great on the PC. I sunk more hours than I'm comfortable admitting into red dead online.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2
    PSN: JJ_Rodriguez

We're playing TD2 on PC, and we love it. We bought it at release, beat it, did some end game stuff and then set it down for a long ass time. We came back because they released the episodes and some other stuff, and the new expansion is coming out next month.

I will say that we bought the gold edition because it came with the year 1 pass, and it was a total fucking rip off. The only extra content you got were 7-8 classified missions, which were cool, but definitely not worth the extra $40-50 we paid. Everything else was early access to the free content they released, and I guess I didn't need to grind to unlock the other specializations. The new expansion isn't covered by it, which is bullshit.

My wife and I are both big BL fans, and we preordered BL3, and we liked it... but it doesn't have the same feel as BL2 that keeps you playing it over and over. We beat it and then farted around a bit doing some other stuff in it, but quickly set it back down. I imagine once they release a bunch of DLC for it it'll probably get better, but so far TD2 has been way more fun and satisfying than BL3, and this is even factoring in the infuriating year 1 pass bullshit.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8
    XBL: EvilIncorporatd
    PSN: EvilIncorporated

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    The first 3-4 hours of every Borderlands game are boring as fuck and then it picks up. That's seriously how every game in the series is paced. The start is like, "I want to quit this stupid shit, this is mind numbingly dull", and then when you get to the 40-50% mark of the main plot you get super engrossed in it and marathon the rest. Borderlands only has two speeds for plot progression, whether it's the main quest or the side ones, dull and slowing moving as fuck, or so fast paced and exciting you can't quit. There is no in between whatsoever. I'm a big fan of the series, and Borderlands 2 is pretty much universally regarded as good an the highlight of the franchise, but that game doesn't really start until you get to Sanctuary, and it only gets really good when Sanctuary is airborne.

I got Borderlands 2 back in like, 2013-2014 and the first time I tried to play it I was like, "This fucking blows, worst game ever". And it sat unplayed in my Steam library for years. The first 2-3 hours of any Borderlands game are the most miserable shit ever. There's no plot to care about, the zones are dull and barren as fuck, you have no skills, and you don't have any cool weapons.

None of the games are like getting a new Elder Scrolls when it comes out and you are instantly engrossed in the mechanics and world. The first bit of the game is always just wandering around a barren world doing stupid shit.
    The main plot of 3 isn't quite as good as the main plot of 2. but the 35-40%->100% mark of the main plot on each is highly enjoyable.

It's hard to get into if you don't know the series, because there are a shit ton of recurring characters who just show up and you are expected to know who they are.
    That's definitely very interesting. I have always wondered why the series is so highly regarded and highly rated when it was so unbelievably dull and boring when I played the first one for 3 or 4 hours over 2-3 days. I'd have to say it was the worst game I've ever played that was well-regarded for the most part (I've played worst games that are horribly regarded and widely considered shit, but I think it's the worst game I've ever played that people tend to like for the most part).

I guess if I'd bought it as a kid, I wouldn't really have had a choice and would have had to keep playing it because I didn't have the money to buy another game, but as an adult, I just felt like I was seriously wasting my time with something that was even less fun than watching paint dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I played the hell out of the first one when I had time to co-op and loved it. I played through BL2 solo twice, including just about all the DLC.

BL3 I can't get into despite really loving the franchise and giving it a good 15-20 hours. It just feels lifeless. Garrett's probably right, I'm sure it picks up I just stopped giving a shit and put it next to Red Dead 2, the latest Gears game and Mass Effect 4 in the Pile Of Disappointing Games.
    I played Gears 1 and 2, but stopped after that. Although I loved Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3, I didn't bother with Andromeda because it was so universally hated. I loved Red Dead Redemption and played through it twice, but I didn't pick up 2 since it seemed so time consuming and I was especially busy with work at the time that it came out. I've heard it's good, though, but it just seems so much of a time sink.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

That's definitely very interesting. I have always wondered why the series is so highly regarded and highly rated when it was so unbelievably dull and boring when I played the first one for 3 or 4 hours over 2-3 days. I'd have to say it was the worst game I've ever played that was well-regarded for the most part (I've played worst games that are horribly regarded and widely considered shit, but I think it's the worst game I've ever played that people tend to like for the most part).

I guess if I'd bought it as a kid, I wouldn't really have had a choice and would have had to keep playing it because I didn't have the money to buy another game, but as an adult, I just felt like I was seriously wasting my time with something that was even less fun than watching paint dry.
    1 was a rough game. They recently redid it to be more in line with 2. The new updated edition of 1 is pretty cool.

All the Borderlands games feature large barren sections, but the first 2 hours of any of them is dull as fuck, wandering around barren sections thinking, "What the fuck is the point of this?". Most of them, even 1, have a point where you transition from "not being interested in this shit" to being "super invested in this story" really quickly. It's just not in the first 2-4 hours.

1 and 2 are particularly bad that way. For a game that is known for having a lot of personality and an idiosyncratic style, the first section of each is devoted to just wandering around a barren world doing stupid busy work. I don't think you even see a non enemy character in 1 for the first four hours. It's just devoted to turning on vending machines. 1 in general was weird as fuck.

And yeah, generally wait for all the DLC for it to be out before playing. Because most of the DLC are at least pretty fun. It's one of those games where the DLC is some of the best parts. 2 has a ridiculous amount of quality DLC content.

I tried to get to the first part of BLII twice, and I tried to get into one like 3-4 times before I actually stayed in the game long enough for it to show promise.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: Mark V / Axe-3 / Kemper

BL1 zombie DLC and the BL2 Tiny Tina DLC are worth the price of admission alone. So much fun.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Is The Division 2 Crooks Division or Noodles Division? Asking for a friend.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace