Thread: Recommend me a PC build

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

Yeah the caching thing is totally not necessary, its just one of those lesser-known options you don't hear about often and I just thought it was cool to note that in case you could make use of it

As for GPUs if you absolutely need new you can find RX580s all day for around $180 or sometimes you can find them on sale for a bit less. I'm not sure if they're gonna be around much longer as the 5600/5700 are beginning to take the spot as their new mid-range offering before Big Navi GPUs hit. As for Nvida you can sometimes find 1660 variants for right about $240 and sometimes less depending on how its clocked, but if you're okay with used you can find 1060 6gb models for around the same price as RX580s with a little better performance in some cases. All of those cards listed will work just fine for Med-High 1080p games at a stable framerate.
    Last edited by HamBungler; 05-10-2020 at 02:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post

All of those cards listed will work just fine for Med-High 1080p games at a stable framerate.
    Yeah, my pretty much ancient Geforce GTX 770 still works just fine for the new games I've tried. I run Jedi Fallen Order on it on medium settings 1440p - it has some problems with low RAM in some games leading to unloaded textures but otherwise I can't complain too much. So I bet the cards you mention will run everything for the next 4-5 years at least.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL
    XBL: yuecchi
    PSN: enthauptet
    Steam: enthauptet

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I have a brand new crucial 500GB SSD and some older spinning drives for storage. I am ok with not needing to do a caching thing yet.

Thanks for the tips on the new graphics cards coming. Is there something under $200 that is available or will likely be available? I havent looked at this stuff in years. I dont need the NVidia 20xx series stuff but all the 10xx series stuff seems to be sold out.

I was looking at the RX570 but I have no idea if that is good.
    RX570 and RX580 are both solid (usually like $150 or closer to $100 used).

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+
    XBL: BamHungler
    PSN: Butswald
    Steam: HamBungler

Yeah as far as availability its gonna be easier to find cheaper RX580/570 cards right now. One thing to note on the RX cards would be power consumption since some of the OC'd varieties can draw a lot of power and also put out a decent amount of heat. Nowhere near as bad as Vega cards but that's one of the main reasons I wouldn't recommend the newer RX590 which compared to the 580 is more or less a clockspeed refresh of the previous model and to support the higher voltage it draws more power and puts out more heat to compensate. You can also overclock most 580s to similar specs if you so choose which also makes it not as good of a deal. Out of the RX580 cards you can get the Red Devil from Powercolor are probably the best-clocked of the bunch but require a good bit of power delivery (needs both 8 and 6 pin connectors to PSU) but the MSI cards I've seen decent reviews on would be a good alternative if you got a 450-500 watt power supply and probably won't be doing much overclocking.

I did do a search on the 10xx series cards and it seems like everyone snatched up most of the cheaper 1060s and you're looking at closer to $170 used on the low end for those cards. That's a shame since they tend to run better/cooler than the RX series cards and were running at a near identical price point just 5 months ago. You can check FB marketplace and find them used for cheaper perhaps but I think waiting on a sale for a 1660 if you want Nvidia would be a better option at this point.

*Edit* One more card to consider if you're looking for new would be a 1650 Super. Seems to have slightly better performance than the 580/1060 in most cases and should be under the $200 mark.
    Last edited by HamBungler; 05-12-2020 at 05:46 AM.