Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Diablo III Thread 2.0

43K views 763 replies 29 participants last post by  Iron1 
#1 ·
Don't know if any of you guys that used to play this had heard about this, but Blizz made some pretty big changes ahead of the upcoming expansion.

Basically they:

1) Totally redid the difficulty system. Normal/Nightmare/Hell/Inferno are gone. Instead we've got a bunch of new difficulty settings culminating in Torment, which then has a slider from 1-6, functioning kind of like Monster Power did previously. Essentially, the higher you go, the harder it gets but the more loot/gold/xp you get. Also, you don't have to run characters through the story 3 fucking times to get to 60 anymore. If you want, you can start a fresh character and run through on Expert or Master and level up way faster. You can also lower difficulty on the fly if you get stuck somewhere, and you can raise it by just jumping out to the main menu and then get right back into the game.

2) Redid loot (again). Drop rate are way buffed, legendaries actually drop kinda regularly now, and the game takes your class into account when rolling the stats on some loot, so you'll see more actually useful shit and less +Strength +Dexterity boots. They also redid a ton of the legendaries so they actually have cool and unique effects instead of just bigger stats. My friend found a legendary which on hit, summons a treasure goblin that follows him around collecting white items. After it collects a certain number, it drops a rare or legendary item. There are others that summon shit to fight for you or give you some kind of AoE. You know, actual fun shit.

3) Changed paragon levels. Instead of getting a bonus to magic find or whatever it was they did before, each paragon level gives you a point you can spend in one of four categories of buffs - stuff like pumping your main stat, movement speed, crit chance, max mana, etc by a small amount. On top of that, your paragon level is account wide, but the actual points are per character. So if you get to paragon 20 on your wizard, when you start a brand new demon hunter, he'll have his own 20 points to spend on whatever.

4) Closed the auction house and real money auction house! This one actually doesn't take effect for a couple of weeks, but yup. No more auction house since it's actually possible to find good gear in game now.

5) Overhauled a ton of skills for all the classes. They completely replaced some abilities altogether, and a lot of skills had their runes reworked entirely. There's a lot more freedom in how you build your character now - you don't need to use the one true build just to make it through the game, and a lot of the new/changed skills are ridiculously fun.

6) Crafting actually produces useful gear now, and they unified all the crafting mats. No more having half your stash filled up with all the different level crafting mats. They actually did the same with potions too: There's just one type of health potion now and it restores 60% of your health, period.

Here's a video explaining it:

I gotta say, I had given up on this game a few months after launch because once you hit 60 it was horribly unfun. Inferno was a fucking grind, you never got any decent loot, and anything worthwhile on the auction house cost 50 million + gold. My friend had good things to say about the patch so I decided to give it a shot and...damn. Kudos to Blizzard for listening to the community and putting in the effort to do such a major overhaul of this game this long after release, and for removing the RMAH cash cow.

Within the first two hours I had replaced pretty much all my level 60 wizard's gear with better stuff from drops, including a couple of pretty rad legendaries. This is how the game should have launched, but better late than never. I'm actually considering picking up the expansion now, where before that was about as likely as getting a legendary drop prior to this patch. :rofl: Definitely check it out if you enjoyed the vanilla game but got burnt out on the utter bullshittery of the endgame.

See less See more
#70 ·
So I found a legendary sword for my wizard the other night that gives a big bonus to cold damage plus 20% chance to freeze on hit and an aura which does continuous damage to any undead near me. So I decided to try a cold build based around frozen orb and holy shit, it's so much fun.

I really like the new and improved legendary items, along with the removal of trading/the auction house, and the ability to change your skills at any time. It really makes the game feel like more of a proper dungeon crawler, where you find an awesome item and then figure out the best way to use it. Before it was more of a "well I read online that this item and this spec are the best for wizards so I'm gonna try to farm up that item or buy it on the AH." This way makes each character feel a lot more personalized.

#71 ·
Yeah, I've been having a blast, too - I'm as far as the quest for Zoltan Kulle's blood now, and I've gotten my Barbarian up to lvl41. For perspective, my Wizard from the original playthrough was 42 at about the same point in my second playthough in Nightmare. I'm currently playing Master, I think (skull, two crossed swords), and while some of the fights are pretty messy and my Enchantress keeps dying, by and large it feels balanced.

#75 ·
My yellow bow has better stats than that. :flex:

Though I'm playing a pre 2.0 build, and it's pretty obvious that a lot has changed in DH-land since last I ran anything. In a comical role reversal, Beard actually tore it up last night, and while my DPS is still high I definitely died a shitload more. :lol:

#79 ·
Nah, I'm Drifter.

So I had a really good run of drops today which raised my DPS a shit ton. For shits and giggles I decided to go for broke and throw on Glass Cannon, Sparkflint, and Force Weapon to see how high I could get it: 150k. :eek: Using Archon in a big pack, I got it up to something utterly stupid like 400k. :rofl:

For reference I was at oh, maybe 60 or 70 thousand before 2.0 despite a ton of hours played on my wizard. Torment 1 is an absolute joke now. Best patch.

#80 ·
Who the hell is Zero then? :lol:

I've accomplished enough today (worked, went running, started spring cleaning) so I'll be wasting the evening farming in a bit if any of you lads wants to join me. Changed my spec a bit to the current cookie cutter, and got a cool cape that lets me summon 3 wolves. :tdw:

#85 ·
I was looking through my friends list, and I don't think I have any of you added. I think I need to dig up the old thread.

I'm also playing on T3 and getting mostly lame loot. I've started doing boss runs, but I almost never see oranges, and I've only found one green item ever since buying Diablo III originally. I'm still doing all right, but when I inspect other people, it seems like everyone else has better gear than me. :lol: I've gotten a little bored of failing at loot runs, so I've started a demon hunter.

#86 ·
[nerd]If you're going for loot, I think it's actually more efficient to play on whatever difficulty you can kill shit the fastest, whether that's Torment 1 or even Master. I think this will be different at 70 because at that point there are Torment only legendaries and Adventure mode and what not, but right now the faster you can kill shit, the more rolls of the dice you get, which seems to outstrip getting a slightly higher chance on fewer rolls.[/nerd]

Anecdotally, I seem to get WAY more legendaries blitzing through shit on Torment 1 than I do killing stuff at a slower pace on T2 or 3. Plus, you know...you die less. :rofl:

On the other hand, it seems like you should be doing the highest difficulty you can manage if your aim is to rack up Paragon XP.

#89 ·
I think you'll just stop gaining new paragon levels until you hit 70, and then start gaining them again. I think that's the point of these bonus xp buffs: for all the people furiously grinding paragon levels ahead of the release. :rofl:

Side note: starting a level 1 witch doctor and them dumping 70 something paragon levels worth of points into him so you can run around on Master/Torment 1 and hit level 30 before the Butcher is hilarious. :rofl:

#90 ·
Yeah, I don't know if I should furiously grind to 100 paragon (I'm at 45 right now) or just say fuck it. :lol:

Either way, I'm saving all of my crafting mats. I have almost 40M gold, so I think I should be in decent shape for the xpac, but no idea what the new crafting will be. I was doing some COTA runs earlier this morning, then realized that I need more bullshit loot than I do actual usable-right-now stuff, so I'm just plowing whatever I can kill the fastest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.