Diablo III Thread 2.0
Page 1 of 96 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo III Thread 2.0

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II
    XBL: Hulk Krogan
    Steam: Drifter287

Diablo III Thread 2.0

Don't know if any of you guys that used to play this had heard about this, but Blizz made some pretty big changes ahead of the upcoming expansion.

Basically they:

1) Totally redid the difficulty system. Normal/Nightmare/Hell/Inferno are gone. Instead we've got a bunch of new difficulty settings culminating in Torment, which then has a slider from 1-6, functioning kind of like Monster Power did previously. Essentially, the higher you go, the harder it gets but the more loot/gold/xp you get. Also, you don't have to run characters through the story 3 fucking times to get to 60 anymore. If you want, you can start a fresh character and run through on Expert or Master and level up way faster. You can also lower difficulty on the fly if you get stuck somewhere, and you can raise it by just jumping out to the main menu and then get right back into the game.

2) Redid loot (again). Drop rate are way buffed, legendaries actually drop kinda regularly now, and the game takes your class into account when rolling the stats on some loot, so you'll see more actually useful shit and less +Strength +Dexterity boots. They also redid a ton of the legendaries so they actually have cool and unique effects instead of just bigger stats. My friend found a legendary which on hit, summons a treasure goblin that follows him around collecting white items. After it collects a certain number, it drops a rare or legendary item. There are others that summon shit to fight for you or give you some kind of AoE. You know, actual fun shit.

3) Changed paragon levels. Instead of getting a bonus to magic find or whatever it was they did before, each paragon level gives you a point you can spend in one of four categories of buffs - stuff like pumping your main stat, movement speed, crit chance, max mana, etc by a small amount. On top of that, your paragon level is account wide, but the actual points are per character. So if you get to paragon 20 on your wizard, when you start a brand new demon hunter, he'll have his own 20 points to spend on whatever.

4) Closed the auction house and real money auction house! This one actually doesn't take effect for a couple of weeks, but yup. No more auction house since it's actually possible to find good gear in game now.

5) Overhauled a ton of skills for all the classes. They completely replaced some abilities altogether, and a lot of skills had their runes reworked entirely. There's a lot more freedom in how you build your character now - you don't need to use the one true build just to make it through the game, and a lot of the new/changed skills are ridiculously fun.

6) Crafting actually produces useful gear now, and they unified all the crafting mats. No more having half your stash filled up with all the different level crafting mats. They actually did the same with potions too: There's just one type of health potion now and it restores 60% of your health, period.

Here's a video explaining it: [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW3o0sFldoc]Diablo III: What's New in Patch 2.0.1 - YouTube[/VIDEO]

I gotta say, I had given up on this game a few months after launch because once you hit 60 it was horribly unfun. Inferno was a fucking grind, you never got any decent loot, and anything worthwhile on the auction house cost 50 million + gold. My friend had good things to say about the patch so I decided to give it a shot and...damn. Kudos to Blizzard for listening to the community and putting in the effort to do such a major overhaul of this game this long after release, and for removing the RMAH cash cow.

Within the first two hours I had replaced pretty much all my level 60 wizard's gear with better stuff from drops, including a couple of pretty rad legendaries. This is how the game should have launched, but better late than never. I'm actually considering picking up the expansion now, where before that was about as likely as getting a legendary drop prior to this patch. Definitely check it out if you enjoyed the vanilla game but got burnt out on the utter bullshittery of the endgame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

This is only what, two years too late?

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25
    XBL: T3MJ1N

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is only what, two years too late?

They milked all they could out of the RMAH, and now they're trying to get people to buy expansions and build some longevity like D2.

Did they fix the online connection requirement? Because that really killed it for me in some of the places I lived with shitty internet.

Also, it got pretty boring pretty quickly, IIRC :-/
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

i've been playing quite a bit since the patch and am totally digging it. i've looted more legendaries in the last few days than... ever. and i've gotten at least 4 upgrades.

ME: Ibanez ARZ307FM
    Rig: Peavey 5150 II
    XBL: Hulk Krogan
    Steam: Drifter287

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

They milked all they could out of the RMAH, and now they're trying to get people to buy expansions and build some longevity like D2.

Did they fix the online connection requirement? Because that really killed it for me in some of the places I lived with shitty internet.

Devils advocate: plenty of companies, would have just released the expansion and kept the RMAH. I kind of have to give it to Blizzard that they put this much effort into a game that most people had given up on entirely (and for which they're not pulling a monthly subscription) AND released all these changes free instead of requiring you to buy the expansion to get them. If this were a Call of Duty game or Assassin's Creed they'd just shit out another in 6 months and pretend the whole thing never happened. Are they hoping it brings people back and gets them interested in the expansion? Obviously. But they actually did totally fix the game with this patch, which is commendable IMO.

More importantly, they added a rune for the Barbarian Ancient Spear ability which changes the spear into a giant boulder that consumes all your rage and turns it into bonus damage. Demolishing a crowd of mobs by hurling a huge fuckoff rock for several million damage is really, really fun.

Edit: Oh, they also got rid of that Nephalim Valor nonsense, and you can now change skills on the fly with no cooldown. It's kind of nice when you get a sweet +fire damage weapon and can instantly switch Arcane Orb or whatever over to the fire damage rune.

Edit 2: Still requires online, sadly.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I had a blast playing through it w/Beard. I'd say easily over 100 hours, and I beat it on Inferno. It's way more fun with someone else.

It's just that these are much needed improvements to a game that most people are already burned out on.

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2
    PSN: JJ_Rodriguez

I might have to start up again and see if I can get back into it to make the expansion worth buying. I think my Monk is level 55 or so. Anyone down for some D3?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I'll give it a go - I may start a new character and run it from the beginning, though. I wish they had randomized the maps again, but it looks like basically everything else they did is a very sensible change that will likely make the game a lot more fun.

I didn't play D2 until well after they'd finishged tweaking it, but isn't this the same story as D2? They released it, it kinda sucked, no one really liked it, and then they finally released a major patch which turned it into a pretty awesome, very fun game?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace