Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Who here uses *nix/bsd or anything else?

Tags
nix or bsd
3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  noodles 
#1 ·
Who here doesnt use windows (or mac os x)?
What are you using?
Im running the ubuntu Intrepid :)p) beta, and am about to run another drive with ubuntu studio

#2 ·
I use *Nix on a fairly irregular basis but have GNU/Linux on my home computers =3. I have HP-UX on my HPs and IRIX on my SGI machine(s). Don't really use those much but whatever, have a bunch of debian based distros on my x86 computers that I use every day.

#8 ·
Use various devices on the companies network based upon SCO, HPUX and Linux (no specific distro of linux, seems to be a linux from scratch style effort), and also use two servers with are CentOS and Fedora based.

I used to run Ubuntu at home, but now I'm all OS X at home (which is loosely based upon BSD as has probably been mentioned a millllion times)

#10 ·
OS X on the MacBook Pro that is provided to me by my job, RedHat Linux on most of our servers, Windows 2003 Advanced Server on the rest of them, FreeBSD on the public facing FTP server, Solaris 9 and 10 on the co-located stuff, Suse Linux and Windows XP on the desktops at home.

I probably use more OSes than anyone here... :lol:

#11 ·
I've been an avid Linux user since since early 2004 when I took the time to really get into it, and it has paid off really well. It was rather exciting to discover all these new aspects of using a computer that I had been missing before. A year later, I ditched Windows completely.

I haven't experimented much with different distributions. Some people appear to have a tendency to switch to a new distro whenever they run into a tiny obstacle, which I think is incredibly silly. Teaching yourself how to solve problems will end up being much less time-consuming in the long run than going over a dozen of different distributions, especially nowadays where there are not as many issues as there used to be.

I have switched once, almost two years ago, from Slackware to Arch Linux because there were aspects of maintaining my system that I was no longer interested in. Slackware was, and still is, a great learning tool. We used to say that "distro X will teach you distro X, but Slackware will teach you Linux", and I still think there is a lot of truth in that.

I also use OS X now and then. It absolutely shines in the music production area. Overall, I prefer Linux, though.

#13 ·
Here is what I am currently running on my VMWare servers at home and my desktops:

ESX 3.5
FreeBSD
NetBSD
Red Hat Linux
Ubuntu
Windows 2008 Server
Windows 2003 Server
Mac OS X
WinXP
Vista

I despise the GPL so I prefer FreeBSD and anything licensed under the BSD license, but I have a need for Linux on occasion.

#15 · (Edited)
you know guys with no lives use the most OSes as a way to have fun :lol: I have OS/2 2.1 on my PS/2 :lol:

I have solaris 9 on my sonybox but I haven't booted that since last year, lol. Kinda hard to switch hard drives when that pc is sitting under another one.

I've got a million ones installed on my random computers
Ubuntu Studio 7.04 x86
Lunar Linux x86 (in VM)
NetBSD x86 (in VM)
Linux Mint 3 Cassandra
Windows XP Professional
Debian GNU/Linux Stable (current)
Debian GNU/Linux Testing
Arch GNU/Linux Current
Windows XP Professional Japanese
Windows 2000 Professional Japanese
Windows 98 SE Japanese
HP-UX 11.11 TCOE & EOE
Debian Etch 4.0r3 64-bit kernel (parisc)
Ubuntu 7.04 Server
Sun Solaris 9
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Windows XP Home
Windows 98 SE (english)
IRIX 6.5.22
OS/2 2.1

seems to be about it, I've used Fedora core for the last 5 weeks in class.

I need to pick up an Itanic2 and POWER box, might be nice to get some SPARC ones as well, some supers/hypers and ultras

#18 ·
I've only used VMWare Server, not that ESX or ESXi or whatever it is which is the good one apparently, maybe sometime later. I dislike virtualization crap because it's always much slower than real hardware, if I were doing virtualization I'd fuck VMWare up the ass and get hardware partitioning or get a Z machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.