Free upgrade to Win10 ending July 29th - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free upgrade to Win10 ending July 29th

ME: Legra Customs
    MA: Victor Garcia
    MB: Legra Spyder
    Rig: Driftwoods and zilla

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I've been saying "No" non-stop for months upon months upon months. If Windows 10 was just a more stable and better version of Windows 7, I'd upgrade, but as far as I can tell, it's much more like Windows 8 than like Windows 7 and I can't stand Windows 8. I want Windows to feel like a PC operating system, not a mobile phone operating system. I've heard that Windows 10 isn't as bad as Windows 8, but that it still is basically that mobile phone app style nonsense.

Since I haven't seen any real advantages of upgrading but have seen tons of downsides, I've just been saying "No" to their incessant pop-ups, but I think the last one I saw was a week ago. Up until then, I was seeing them about once a day. Seems "No" finally means "No."
    You can uninstall the update for the prompt. Find update kb3035583 get rid of it.

I've just switched on all my computers. It is, I think, a better OS than 7, at its core. Blisteringly fast on SSD. Seems stable. It has various niceties that I like, and all told make it worth it to me, for now (the superior search function (cortana disabled) for example).

It just takes a bit of work to strip it of the various dross that it comes with, stop it trying to sell you shit, and make it not quite so much of a privacy nightmare. Most of it's pretty obvious. There are reg edits to tone down the telemetry reporting (haven't done that; trying not to be to paranoid about it and taking it on faith that it is just crash data and the like) if you want to go beyond the basic settings. And this was a godsend: How to Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall
    XBL: flexkilla

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    You can uninstall the update for the prompt. Find update kb3035583 get rid of it.

I've just switched on all my computers. It is, I think, a better OS than 7, at its core. Blisteringly fast on SSD. Seems stable. It has various niceties that I like, and all told make it worth it to me, for now (the superior search function (cortana disabled) for example).

It just takes a bit of work to strip it of the various dross that it comes with, stop it trying to sell you shit, and make it not quite so much of a privacy nightmare. Most of it's pretty obvious. There are reg edits to tone down the telemetry reporting (haven't done that; trying not to be to paranoid about it and taking it on faith that it is just crash data and the like) if you want to go beyond the basic settings. And this was a godsend: How to Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps (and How to Reinstall Them)
    I agree with this and it doesn't bother me as I have gone through each instance of Windows i've owned anyway and manually trimmed the "fat". It is just something I know I'm going to have to do
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

I haven't upgraded yet and im still not sure if I will... I know I can do it and then revert back to my previous installation that way I keep the free upgrade since its registered that the PC already had... but dont know if im into the hassle.. W8 is working fine so... dont fix what is not broke.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?
    XBL: AdamBath
    Steam: adam.bath

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    What's Never10? Something that stops the computer from asking you to upgrade? That would be pretty pointless at this point since I haven't been asked to upgrade for over a week now (I'm pretty sure the last message I saw had a "(You will not be asked again)" message for the very first time. Plus, there's the fact that July 29th is the final deadline and that's only a week away...
    I somehow doubt they're going to stop pestering about going to 10

If I were you, I'd take the 10 update, then if you hate it, go back to 7. It keeps the 7 files for 30 days after the upgrade if you ever want to go back. That way, unless I'm mistaken, you'll still be able to upgrade for free in the future, when you finally want to.

I'm pretty indifferent to Windows these days. I don't hate it, I don't like it. It's just there. I use it on three machines; a remote access box for testing work stuff externally, an old dual boot Thinkpad for working on my home ESXi box, and my DVR box that's being converted to a Steambox as well.

I still vastly prefer OS X and Linux, and lately I've been playing with FreeBSD as well, which is cool.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

They still make OSX? I had no idea! I loved it 20 years ago at Chase Manhattan but I thought it died after v2.0. As for Win10, I went the first day it was offered and never looked back. It has enough of the stuff I liked about Win 7 that 8 didn't have to have made it an easy choice over 8 to me. Win8, especially 8.1 I find incredibly annoying. I removed 8 from one of my laptops to install Ubuntu and then did the others as well.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?
    XBL: AdamBath
    Steam: adam.bath

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    They still make OSX? I had no idea! I loved it 20 years ago at Chase Manhattan but I thought it died after v2.0. As for Win10, I went the first day it was offered and never looked back. It has enough of the stuff I liked about Win 7 that 8 didn't have to have made it an easy choice over 8 to me. Win8, especially 8.1 I find incredibly annoying. I removed 8 from one of my laptops to install Ubuntu and then did the others as well.
    I think you're thinking OS/2...

Win 10 is even better with the Start10 menu from Stardock. Screw that default menu; it's still not right.