Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Drew's Dorky Diablo II Discussion

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Drew's Dorky Diablo II Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
    Diablo response - Just be ready to dodge the "red lightning hose" Diablo does as that's really the most devastating thing he'll do. Also, he'll eat your mercenary for breakfast. Just resummon wolves, cast your attack spell, be mobile, and always be ready to dodge stuff. Also, fill your belt with potions and get ready to do what you'd be doing on a Saturday night if it wasn't your 'clean' month, as there are some attacks that you can't dodge.
    The problem is he keeps hitting me with that "cage" thing, trapping me in place in the line of fire. There's, conveniently, a Resist Fire shrine right outside the Chaos Sanctuary, which if I hit that will take care of the worst of his ring of fire attack, but seems to have no effect on the other attack (must be a magic attack, and not a fire attack...?).

So, if I hit the Resist Fire shrine, keep my crossbow out (which lowers my defense since I can't keep my shield equipped, and lowers my normal resistance to fire, since my shield has some sort of resist bonus for a couple different attacks), keep casting Dire Wolves to keep him occupied, and accept the fact that once I'm caged in I can't dodge his other attack, well, I still get nowhere since the ring of fire attack does upwards of 300 points of damage, which is enough to finish off a Level 3 Dire Wolf, meaning I'll be constantly casting those, and I just can't hurt him enough with a crossbow to finish him off myself.

I'm thinking what I need to do here is to go back and level up a bit - if I could get my cyclone shield thing up a few levels, it'd take off the worst of at least the first magic attack of his, buying me that much more time. He doesn't SEEM to do too much conventional damage, so I think I could probably fight hand-to-hand against him (it helps that one of the charms I'm carrying does ice damage, which freezes him and slows him way down, and that my mace does something like 14-68 damage per hit, plus a whole sleew of other weapon- and charm-related bonuses) if I just had enough potions and got in a few hits first.

The problem is, my archer does a LOT of damage - all in she peaks out at like 200 I think - so a lot of my strategy to date has been about setting up the conflict such that ranged weapons can be used from the perimeter, which really isn't going to work here.

Even then though, against the fallen angel, I-whatsishame, that was probably a 2-3 minute fight, with my archer, three dire wolves, a poison vine, and a heart of the wolverine spirit. These things are just so damned tough that it takes a long time to kill them, and that's a problem because Diablo does enough damage every 15 seconds to finish me off if I'm not constantly hitting potions.

What was your character level when you first beat him? Am I just trying too early? I remember Diablo 1, I ended up starting a new game at about level 10-12 or so simply because my character wasn't tough enough to survive what he was fighting, but by the time he got back to that point in the dungeon the second time through he could hold his own (barely).
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L
    XBL: Dropbear Reaper
    PSN: ibznorange
    Steam: ibznorange

can has diablo 3 now?
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Schecter Loomis ToM
    Rig: Randall RM100
    XBL: Nekomancer84
    PSN: Wufl
    Steam: Wulfman15

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    can has diablo 3 now?
    This... I haven't played any of the Diablos in years. Such great games...
    Medicine Chief - RHLC

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RG7620
    Rig: Spidervalve and 1960A Cab
    XBL: withersoul83

Nate seconds the yearning for Diablo 3.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

THIRDS
    THIRDS NATE THIRDS

ME: RG7620
    Rig: Spidervalve and 1960A Cab
    XBL: withersoul83

/facepalm

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Wow guys.

Yeah, Diablo 3 is why I picked up 2 - I figured it made sense to get back in the mood.

i think im gonna go buy the battlechest tonight