Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Why Google > *

Tags
google
3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  JBroll 
#1 ·
I just discovered the "Get mail from other accounts" option in GMail. Enter the account name, password, and POP3/SMTP/IMAP info, click the link in the confirmation e-mails, and all of your mail comes through your GMail account. Hit "compose", and the "From" field becomes a drop down with every e-mail address you have.

My new job uses a third party e-mail service, so I just rolled my personal, KxK, and work accounts all into one. Then I set up labels to sort everything for me. If I could just get my boss to use Google Calendar, I'd be able to manage my job, band, and personal engagements all from there as well.

:google: = :metal:

Reactions: JBroll
#6 ·
Yeah, but Outlook Express sucks. Google has developed the first e-mail client that I have really been happy with. Threading was one of those brilliant, yet simple, moves that all of us wish we came up with.

#3 ·
But you can't use your Outlook Express from anywhere there's a browser, can you? ;)

I consolidated all of my email onto Gmail about a year ago, and it's great. I still use my Mac's Mail application to access Gmail, but i've got the web version to fall back on if i can't access my laptop.

#11 ·

I switched to gmail about 2 years ago or so when I moved into my house. I was with Mindspring (Earthlink) as an ISP, but where I was moving they said they couldn't give me service. Although they actually don't do anything. Bellsouth does all the hooking up and work and Earthlink pays them to do it. So I went with Bellsouth. From then on I went with Google. Their bookmark function is great too. All you have to do is log in from any computer in the world and you can access all your bookmarks and email. You can't beat Google!

Ironically a couple of months after moving in to my house Earthlink calls me up and tells me that they can now give me service. "Too late, biooootch!"

#13 ·
The fact it has IMAP makes it indespensible as the bands email, that way I can view all the emails coming in via about 4 different email clients (Mail on me Macbook Pro, Thunderbird on me Mac Pro, Thunderbird at work and also on me iPhone), but not get rid of them so they are all there, and everyone else can look at the emails too.

Add to the fact its web based, has threaded conversations, and is rather slick and pretty? Yeah, Gmail is quite possibly the best web-based email around as far as I'm concerned.

#14 ·
I have to admit I've not tried Gmail, but my personal e-mail is a Yahoo account and they're plugging a very similar option right now. I might have to look into either that or Gmail, as (including my band's e-mail) I've got 5 different e-mail addresses to keep track of, not including the work e-mail.

#15 ·
I really like the labeling versatility, especially keeping in mind the '+~~~' trick.

GMail ignores any part of an address after a plus sign. This is very handy for two reasons:

First, if you spend time on things that might compromise your email address (and who doesn't?) you can find out who is selling your address to spammers. If, say, you're submitting something to Joe Bob's Politicotron, append +joebobspoliticotron to your name (before the @gmail.com... so for example you'd have standardemailaddress+joebobspoliticotron@gmail.com in the box where you'd put your address) and then, if he's selling the lists to spammers, the address will show that your email was sold by the people running that site.

Second, you can route things around very easily with creative use of labels and that trick. I teach two intermediate algebra classes at the university, and all of my students were given the address JMBroll+0213 (at) GMail.com - I then set up a filter that labeled everything addressed to JMBroll+0213 (at) GMail.com with 0213, and now have all of my class-related messages under that label.

Fun stuff.

Jeff

#17 ·
Second, you can route things around very easily with creative use of labels and that trick. I teach two intermediate algebra classes at the university, and all of my students were given the address JMBroll+0213 (at) GMail.com - I then set up a filter that labeled everything addressed to JMBroll+0213 (at) GMail.com with 0213, and now have all of my class-related messages under that label.
See, I did that by opening a anothername@gmail.com, setting the new account to forward to the old one, and then setting up a label in the old one to route it all to one label.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.