The new Dream Theater album is close to perfection.
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The new Dream Theater album is close to perfection.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

The new Dream Theater album is close to perfection.

At least for me and I have not been pleased with their last few albums but this one takes the cake.

It literally sounds like the new form of Dream Theater mixed a touch of Awake and Petrucci's lead tone in Liquid Tension Experiment.

They try some new things vocally that I think James hits the ball out of the park with and sounds phenomenal. Every Ruddess moment is perfect and not over the top.
    Myung's bass tone is stupid good and he's always perfect so.

And then finally Mike Mangini finally gets to shine on this record like he deserves. I think he even wrote the lyrics to "Room 137?"

Although, it's taken far too long. This is the band I was hoping this era would sound like. Just listen to these tracks. Petrucci's solos are so good in the first two listed I literally screamed out loud for a while because this is the best he has sounded in a long time.

If you see the extended version of the album. Buy it! "Viper King" is the bonus track for the extended album and it just might be the best song.

Song and Solo sounds like something out of "Awake." Reminds me of "Lie."

John Myung's opening riff/tone is to die for. Apparently, in this song there is a silence and someone says "wow." It sounds just like Owen Wilson but Petrucci he says he cannot confirm who said it on the album. Kind of wild and as I already said, Petrucci's solo is this song is just perfect. Outside of his usual licks.

This is just purely a great Dream Theater song and James wrote the lyrics. He sings is beautifully and the band flows well together here.

This track reminds me of "Wait For Sleep" from I&W and James shines perfectly here.

The track inspired by Carl Sagan. Wonderful song, I swear they took a chapter out of Symphony X's book and applied it here.
    It's amazing, the band as a whole goes full force virtuosity. Kind of like "Dance of Eternity."

Finally the bonus track:

This song had to be for fun, it's short and full blast Dream Theater. Might be my favorite song.

Thank God Dream Theater is back because I have been waiting so long for an album that shines and brings tears to my eyes. Which this one did.

Listen to this album cranked and I hope you all enjoy it!
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I was out showing my buddy my new Jeep this week and he put the CD in. I was REALLY fucking impressed, man. First I was just stoked that Mangini finally has a respectable drum sound but the actual songs started making me really happy. I haven't been this excited about a DT record since 6 Degrees! The first couple singles didn't do much for me but give me a bit of hope. I was pleasantly surprised that LaBrie isn't half-assing all the songs on here and is actually hitting some notes again! We didn't get through the whole CD but probably more than a half of it....loved everything I heard!

I really didn't think Petrucci was capable of doing the metal thing this well. Since Portnoy left, the heavier sections of their tunes haven't felt as heavy, but this disc has got some energy to it!

I pre-ordered the album but was still REALLY tempted to ask him to leave the disc in my truck. I've got some finishing work I plan to do today on my Strat, so I'm going to blast the shit out of the album while getting it done and see what these Boston Acoustic speakers I recently snagged can actually do!

Edit- Just listened to "Viper King"....fuck that was fun! I've been feeling the urge to get proggier with my own music lately, I imagine after the next few months with this new DT, the upcoming Devin Townsend (first single was released yesterday....he's gone full batshit crazy!) and then Mastodon, I think I'll have plenty of inspirato kickin' around!
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I was out showing my buddy my new Jeep this week and he put the CD in. I was REALLY fucking impressed, man. First I was just stoked that Mangini finally has a respectable drum sound but the actual songs started making me really happy. I haven't been this excited about a DT record since 6 Degrees! The first couple singles didn't do much for me but give me a bit of hope. I was pleasantly surprised that LaBrie isn't half-assing all the songs on here and is actually hitting some notes again! We didn't get through the whole CD but probably more than a half of it....loved everything I heard!

I really didn't think Petrucci was capable of doing the metal thing this well. Since Portnoy left, the heavier sections of their tunes haven't felt as heavy, but this disc has got some energy to it!

I pre-ordered the album but was still REALLY tempted to ask him to leave the disc in my truck. I've got some finishing work I plan to do today on my Strat, so I'm going to blast the shit out of the album while getting it done and see what these Boston Acoustic speakers I recently snagged can actually do!

You are going to be super pleased. This is a album for Dream Theater fans and those who are not fans but wanna give a listen.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Washburn N7
    Rig: Peavey 5150

It’s friggin awesome. Old Trooch’s tone is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It’s friggin awesome. Old Trooch’s tone is amazing.
    The first singles I wasn't impressed with it but hearing it cranked in a car and as the album goes forward it just gets better.

Anybody else think the mix is perfect on this album? It was mixed by Ben Rosse.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Listening to it in the background for the first time now. So far, I'm enjoying it...even the individual "singles" I was a bit meh on before. Is it their best? No, but it's respectable. I do hear a concerted effort at less concept, less complexity for its own sake, and more underlying songwriting.

Four songs in, and no spontaneous ragtime piano outbursts yet...

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Really starting to think The Astonishing wasn't an album, but a way for Petrucci to cleanse out all of his bad, overbloated ideas at once.

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

Four songs in, and no spontaneous ragtime piano outbursts yet...
    Can anyone confirm the rest of the album is unsullied?