Covers that are surprisingly good - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 47

Thread: Covers that are surprisingly good

  1. #9


    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Houston, TX
    ME: Jackson SLXT
    Rig: Randall RG80

    iTrader: 0

    Just a few off the top of my head that haven't been posted





  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: Portugal

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Any cover done with the intention of a "psuedo funny" or "look at how whacky" youtube hitcount can get stuffed. That frogleap guy is talented, but I see absolutely zero artistic merit in it. THere's a point where something is so polished and engineered it has no soul, and I find all his stuff has perfected that.
    I Agree. Super talented guy for sure but I have zero interest in what he does.


    Another brilliant cover:


  4. #11


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: London, England
    ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    I know this will make a bunch of people salty, but if you forget everything you know about him, this is pretty good. Satchel and Roy Mayorga rip on it as well


    Very modern sounding, but this is my favourite Bond film (possibly favourite film) of all time, and this version is way more listenable


    Because Glenn Hughes is better than all other humans

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
    ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Any cover done with the intention of a "psuedo funny" or "look at how whacky" youtube hitcount can get stuffed. That frogleap guy is talented, but I see absolutely zero artistic merit in it.
    Absolutely. I posted it because it's good, but it's still got a foot firmly planted in that "hyperbolic whacky youtuber" schtick.

    You know what would have made it literally 1000x better? No video. If you just heard that, without it being a skit, you'd think "this is great".

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    this is the definitive "make the original sound like a cover version" cover:
    Yes! Completely forgot about that. So much better than the original (but then I'm biased because I've never liked anything NIN/Trent Reznor have ever put out, period)
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

    www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

  7. #13


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: 7th plane of ethereal hell
    ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

    iTrader: 8 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    You know what would have made it literally 1000x better? No video. If you just heard that, without it being a skit, you'd think "this is great".
    WHilst polished, and I can see how someone who's into production would appreciate it, I still find it sounds utterly completely flat in terms of tempo and execution. It's like it's followed a deliah smith recipe for middle of the road metal. None of the playing is exciting, none of it is brutal, none of it has feel, it just sound like an autistic protools obsessives wet dream.

  8. #14


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
    ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    WHilst polished, and I can see how someone who's into production would appreciate it, I still find it sounds utterly completely flat in terms of tempo and execution. It's like it's followed a deliah smith recipe for middle of the road metal. None of the playing is exciting, none of it is brutal, none of it has feel, it just sound like an autistic protools obsessives wet dream.
    Isn't this like 90% of metal now? I swear to christ nothing sounds like a real instrument any more. It's all had the "I only know how to drag and drop Steven Slate samples and use Axe FX presets" mix-ready bedroom treatment. No life, no mojo, no ugly. It's all smooth and, as you said, flat, lifeless, dull.

  9. #15


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: 7th plane of ethereal hell
    ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

    iTrader: 8 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Isn't this like 90% of metal now? I swear to christ nothing sounds like a real instrument any more. It's all had the "I only know how to drag and drop Steven Slate samples and use Axe FX presets" mix-ready bedroom treatment. No life, no mojo, no ugly. It's all smooth and, as you said, flat, lifeless, dull.
    unfortunately, yeah. I like things that are a bit raw, dirty, metal was never meant to be safe, my favourite albums are sonically flawed and have an atmosphere to them. You need the ugly, a bit of the seat of your pants, a bit of violence etc. Too polished just ends up sounding neutered. If I want something neutered there's plenty of safe pop music i could listen to.

    I'm now going to stop myself from having a rant about "safe" bro-style vocalists, of which I consider corey taylor and ffdp prime examples of "safe" screaming.

  10. #16


    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Location: Wickford,UK
    ME: Strandberg
    Rig: Blackstar HT-5

    iTrader: 2 (100%)

    Always loved this version


Similar Threads

  1. Surprisingly good Bohemian Rhapsody cover
    By Josh in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-06-2016, 01:11 PM
  2. 8-bit Megadeth, surprisingly good.
    By MFB in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
  3. Roomba Art (surprisingly awesome)
    By eleven59 in forum Art, Movies, Books, TV & Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 05:01 AM
  4. Surprisingly this band is huge here...
    By Markus in forum General Music Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge