Metallica seems to be more "aggressive" Live again. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metallica seems to be more "aggressive" Live again.

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Or maybe they are in dire need of cash. No one "works" as hard if not looking for some extra. Guess that the Disaster "movie" investment was deeper than we all think. Maiden are Touring 3 months a year basically and they dont sell as many tickets.
    They lost over $25,000,000 on it

Metallica is coming around here soon but the ticket prices were absolutely insane.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Portugal show was super super expensive for the country (80 to 120 euros a ticket) and they seem to have sold out the 40K seats in a very short time. People pay for it and it seems they have more and more audience every year.

About the "Movie"... well next time make a real Movie and not a freaking Concert.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

White Flying V GAS strikes!
    Argbadh - RHLC©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I'm not sure if $25mil is enough of a loss to make them tour that much. It's not like they're sparing expenses in production. With the amount of money they bring in for each concert, that money could have been recouped in the same year it was lost. While financial shit is better left speculated by the other Drew here, I'd have to think that they wouldn't have made the investment if it was going to crush them financially. 3 out of 4 of those guys certainly don't half-ass it live and I'll even give Lars a break for the half-assing he does because the guy has never claimed he was great at what he does. Playing in a huge metal band was his only real goal, not being a great drummer. If they were touring just for the money, I think you'd hear James phoning it in quite a bit. Shit, look at Tool. Maynard has been phoning it in for years and they've been living off nostalgia at this point.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

I read some time ago that the Metallica Machine is a huge one and it needs tons of cash to keep afloat. Without Albums sales money they have to resort to Touring and they did it and they also increased their prices by a substantial lot.

I'm also lead to believe that there's a certain probability of that they would be going to end this Massive Tours cycles in a not distant future. Lets face it how old are they? This is not Rolling Stones or U2 shows, they have been super active on a very demanding Music style for the past what? 40 years? For how long can anyone still enjoy doing this on this magnitude? So why not try to cash grab as much as you can right now?

Again, Maiden management saw this 15+ years ago and they did an amazing job at getting a plan that works for them and doesn't strain them all year long after spending a full decade basically on the road.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I read some time ago that the Metallica Machine is a huge one and it needs tons of cash to keep afloat. Without Albums sales money they have to resort to Touring and they did it and they also increased their prices by a substantial lot.
    99% of bands don't live off of album sales. You have to be at a platinum level just to start making money, and even then, it's probably something like 25c a record (which is a massive amount belying how big of a band they are). Touring is where bands have ALWAYS made their money.

Ty Tabor talked about it in the King's X book that came out recently. They've never made a cent off of album sales. It's pretty sad.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    99% of bands don't live off of album sales. You have to be at a platinum level just to start making money, and even then, it's probably something like 25c a record (which is a massive amount belying how big of a band they are). Touring is where bands have ALWAYS made their money.

Ty Tabor talked about it in the King's X book that came out recently. They've never made a cent off of album sales. It's pretty sad.
    Now yes, but Metallica made some good bucks on record sales.

Found the interview:

According to The Pulse Of Radio, METALLICA lead guitarist Kirk Hammett candidly admitted in a new interview with Rolling Stone that the band has to tour pretty continuously in order to pay for its huge overhead, which includes their own studio, salaries for their staff and crew, and their live show production. He explained, "The cycles of taking two years off don't exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be — a check every three months."

Metallica Has To Keep Touring To Pay The Bills - Blabbermouth.net

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Now yes, but Metallica made some good bucks on record sales.
    Metallica sold a zillion more records than Kings X, so it's not a valid comparison.

Dave's right, from the '80s forward, bands didn't start making a profit off of album sales until they reached platinum status or lasted long enough that they were able to negotiate better record deals.

However, touring didn't become a profit center until the '90s. Prior to that, tours were heavily subsidized by the record labels--that's why tickets were so cheap. Essentially, the bands *had* to reach platinum status in order to make anything, period. Lots of stories coming out now about how many legendary bands like Queen and Pink Floyd were still basically broke as much as a decade after becoming stars--or at least not as rich as you'd think they'd be.