Metallica seems to be more "aggressive" Live again. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Metallica seems to be more "aggressive" Live again.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I consider myself a pretty lucky Metallica fan, in the sense that the Black album and Load were my introductions to the band and while I'm sure I heard "One" and "Master Of Puppets" before then, I didn't have any identity attached to the band, I just knew I dug the tunes. Even when I started going back and getting into their earlier stuff, it was all just a bunch of songs that I really dug.

I'll go see them anytime I get the chance. I've only seen them once, on the Death Magnetic tour in Boston, but the energy in the room was really, really cool and was definitely part of my experience. Their production is always killer and being a fan of pretty much everything but St. Anger ("All Within My Hands" is a cool tune) I know I'll get a whole night of what I consider killer tunes.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Explorer Custom

My first concert of theirs was on the Load tour in '97...where the entire stage collapsed at the end (same tour from the Cunning Stunts video). I was too young to see them in their heyday, but they could still deliver back then. I've seen them two or three times since and it was clear that their live performances were slipping each time. Glad to see they're still at it. It sounds like they are tuning down, which makes it easier on James' voice. He was having a real hard time getting the screams and higher notes right from their early stuff. It's good that they're playing to their strengths, but it's still not "fuck yeah!" enough to be the Metallica that I remember.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by d8200 View Post
    My first concert of theirs was on the Load tour in '97...where the entire stage collapsed at the end (same tour from the Cunning Stunts video). I was too young to see them in their heyday, but they could still deliver back then. I've seen them two or three times since and it was clear that their live performances were slipping each time.
    Which means you're not old enough to realize they had already slipped mightily by the time you first saw them. Exhibit A:

Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Explorer Custom

I get it, Noodles. They were passed their prime by '97, but as I said...they could still deliver. Oddly enough, the venue that I saw them is the same one from that epic Seattle '89 performance (Seattle Coliseum/Key Arena).

ME: Blackat D6
    MA: Kremona Rosa Morena
    MB: LTD FB-204
    Rig: Fractal Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I saw that same tour and completely agree. The show I attended even had Death Angel opening. All three came out and just floored the place. I, too, don't feel the need to pay a bunch of money to see Metallica sort of approximate what they used to do.

And, frankly, Metallica is:

--A very raw, fun first album
    --Two legendary albums
    --A good album
    --A decent hard rock album
    --A whole bunch of crap after that with a few good tracks here and there

The AJFA tour is one of my fonder concert memories. However, my date and I left the Black Album tour show early--they were playing for something like three hours, and it just got boring. No thrash set should ever be over 1.5 hours, and that's especially true for a thrash band playing at half-speed most of the time (which is essentially what the Black Album is).
    Word. And yeah my show had Death Angel too and they killed it as well.

Unfortunately, I was too young to see either of those Metallica touring eras. Alot of dudes I run into every now and then who were of typical concert going age then reminisce about the Black album era tour. It was crazy, sounded oversold and apparently you could easily leave the event with your clothes in shreds. Interestingly enough, never ran into anyone who saw AJFA era shows....

The AJFA era tour looked really cool, everything seemed to jive well then but I can only say that based on the youtube footage I see. Woulda been nice....

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Starting a Band is all fun and games, maintaining a career with it pretty sure its not and they managed to do it and raise their prices on every tour and sell out Arenas everywhere.
    Sure but did they really have to give us Load and Reload? Among other things....

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Testament 300-500 maybe 1000 seats? Exodus? Death Angel? All of this later bands perform to huge crowds when they are inserted on festivals, the rest of the Tour is medium small to small places.
    Yeah I'd still rather see all these bands live rather then Metallica still.
    Last edited by BetterShredThanDead; 05-13-2019 at 11:08 PM.

I never really "loved" this song, but its most certain one of their most heavy written ones. Not bad at all for some "old dudes"