I don't know what's happening, but I actually like some pop music...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what's happening, but I actually like some pop music...

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I don't know what's happening, but I actually like some pop music...

Billie Eilish and her brother are making some pretty different stuff. My wife and son are really into her and it's kind of piqued my interest, because it's just so... dark? It's definitely different.

A little context: She's 17. Anything you hear of hers was done when she was 15. In fact Ocean Eyes was recorded when she was 13 (!)

Her brother is her producer/mix engineer. He makes all the music from the two bedroom home they were raised in.

Rather than singing about hoeing and literally sucking dicks (seriously, my niece stayed over a few weeks ago and was listening to some real horrid mainstream shit, it's literally all about riding/sucking dick, but blanketed under heavy metaphor so it can be sold to 8 year old girls, it's fucking horrific) her lyrics are well written, and often circle around pain/depression/anxiety, with a bit of fantasy violence thrown in for good measure.

Here's a brief window into their creative process:

And here are some of the stand-out tracks that I hear around the house

I dunno, besides the dark melodies, the interesting (and frankly, for pop, quite sophisticated) note choices, it just feels more honest and more real than most other shit Got a nice dark retro 80's feel.

Maybe it just stands out to me because it's not some stick-thin ex-Disney Channel puppet dolled up like a stipper singing about dicks...

Or maybe... maybe it's because she's got popular enough to be live on Jimmy Fallon singing her latest song, which happens to be about having a psychotic break and murdering all her friends...
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Mate I fucking love Billie Eilish. Bad Guy is an absolute ear worm, as is You Should See Me In A Crown.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

See, pop music is such a broad term, and I think anyone into a subgenre of music that is harder to get (metal, niche dance music, dub etc) kind of encompasses everything that is "easy" to listen to as pop music.

There's a ton of absolute crap, but, there are some really good artists out there that do good stuff that is actually interesting to listen to.

I quite happily listen to pop, and anything really, as long as i find it's a song that is interesting and has merit and isn't vapid.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Yeah, I was overly cautious when creating the title of this thread. I wanted to write "Billie Eilish is fucking awesome", but thought people might think I've misspelled Billie Idol.

But yes, this isn't typical pop, at all, this is fucking great music, and the fact that I don't know what to call it is only a good thing. I think because she's young and female people are just lumping her in with "pop", but it's really not.

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Man, I absolutely love Billie Eilish too! Thanks to my 13 year old daughter, we're going to her show.

This new wave of very young female singers (ex. Lorde) who are doing things their way is pretty awesome.
    Just like any other music genre, there's good and bad pop music. Lots of people are more condescending when it comes to pop... Don't know why. Maybe because it's all over the place on the radio, etc.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

You are getting old and stopped being "afraid" of admitting that you liked more styles than you imagine

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    You are getting old and stopped being "afraid" of admitting that you liked more styles than you imagine
    I still listen to Hed(P.E.) and Stuck Mojo. Trust me, it ain't that. Unlike some of the gate-keeping codgers here I have a really broad taste in metal, I love a really strange pallet of it (but still not djent...), and take influence from all of it (but not djent)... but I can't say that about music in general. If it's not guitar-centric, and/or aggressive in some sense, chances are I won't enjoy listening to it. But this is different. There's something that transcends stylistic differences with the way these two write music, I can happily have this on in the car and not want to drive right into a lake. It's weird.

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Dark pop can be awesome. Ava Max has a pretty dark sound. I like the message she's giving in So am I too. I made a dark pop song once and it was a ton of fun https://soundcloud.com/traviswahlrem...ough-7/s-36nH6