So WHITESNAKE went Arabic for a song with Reb and the new record rules! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So WHITESNAKE went Arabic for a song with Reb and the new record rules!

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    How is that?
    Because Winger is one of my very favourite bands, and because I love Huff as a player more than any of the guys that have been *in* Whitesnake, and he played on the 1987 radio-mix of Here I Go Again.

There's also the "conspiracy theory" that he replaced other guitarists' playing "secretly" because it wasn't up to snuff:

The Truth About John Sykes And Adrian Vandenberg In Whitesnake

But I don't really care. I can listen to Reb and Dann (credited) elsewhere, and Moody/Marsden Whitesnake when Coverdale was in his vocal prime.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

This new one seems like a strong set of songs, even if Coverdale sounds like Joe Cocker now.

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    There's also the "conspiracy theory" that he replaced other guitarists' playing "secretly" because it wasn't up to snuff:

The Truth About John Sykes And Adrian Vandenberg In Whitesnake

But I don't really care. I can listen to Reb and Dann (credited) elsewhere, and Moody/Marsden Whitesnake when Coverdale was in his vocal prime.
    Wow, that's pretty interesting!
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

That's not really Arabic, Double Harmonic Minor is just a western invention that sounds vaguely "exotic". Love Whitesnake, but I can't stand hearing stuff in that kind of tonality anymore. Too hokey. I mean, the first time I heard it at 16 it was like, "What is this?", but every time hearing anything with the double harmonic/byzantine/hungarian type shit these days it loses appeal exponentially.

I made the mistake of calling it Arabic to actual Arabic friends years and years ago. It's basically like approaching a Chinese person and being like, "I love authentic Chinese food like Panda Buffet." or telling a hispanic how much you appreciate their fine traditional Taco Bell cuisine.

"Standard diatonic western tonality with a flat second, raised/augmented third, and either a major or minor 7th meant to vaguely emulate exotic sounds" is the correct term. Trust me on that one. It can occasionally work in older shit, like Gates of Babylon or Scorpions late 70s/early 80s era, but the novelty wore off decades ago. Even if it wasn't already overused in more "classic" metal, extreme metal used it for like 75% of songs from 2004-2008.

http://<a href="https://www.youtube....atDmByhgYE</a>

The other stuff on the new Whitesnake is cool, but anything with the double harmonic thing going elicits a re-action of "Gates of Babylon was already written decades ago dude" with me.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Coverdale and Sykes were an awesome creative team that were simply never going to last very long. I would rate Coverdale/Marsden/Moody only slightly behind, however, and they proved to be a great team over the course of a lot of albums. In the end, Coverdale's silly lyrics are a problem no matter what lineup he's got. They were more noticeable in the early, bluesier version of the band, of course. Even when I was a hormone-riddled teenager, Coverdale's lyrics frequently made me cringe.
    Coverdale Deep Purple > Whitesnake

Lovehunter is the best Whitesnake album. Not just because of the cover either. Everything after that gets increasingly commercial.