Metal Guitarist Forums banner

So WHITESNAKE went Arabic for a song with Reb and the new record rules!

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  GentleHands McCoy 
#1 ·
I LOVE this record! I got it a day early before it released and listened to it on vinyl.
Thanks D.C. ;)

Anyway, so let me go off. This record really reminds me of "Slide It In" & "Slip of the Tongue."

There's a slight reminisce of 87' from time to time as well.

The highlights of this record are Joel Hoekstra & Reb Beach. They do a few trade offs of solos throughout the record taking turns.

But they do some amazing "trade offs" or "battles" in "Get Up" and "Sands of Time."

This is the song WHITESNAKE went straight up Arabic & Prog. This might be favorite song on the album because it is so out-of-character for WHITESNAKE and Reb gets to shine completely. David really pushed him to write this track well and gave it a shot. Reb really got it down.
I wanna why they didn't play this when me and my girlfriend saw them in Richmond, VA at the National. This song would have kicked so much ass! I LOVE IT.
Joel - 1st Part of Main Solo.
Reb - 2nd Part of Main Solo/Outro Solo.

A straight up Rock N' Roll Boogie with Reb and Joel going nuts over it.

Reb is killing on some slide. Reminds me of Mick Moody and Bernie.

This is a song from David's solo album that was leftover and I think it's pretty rad.
Reb 1st & 2nd Slide Solo/Main Solo.
Joel Outro Slide Solo.

This straight up sounds like it was leftover from 87'. Coverdale wrote this track.
Joel plays all the solos. Great song.

Most of you are just gonna have to listen to this record and make your own mind.
But I love it and the songs on it. I think Joel & Reb took this record in a different direction with both doing things soloing wise that no one else did WHITESNAKE.
They have left their mark.

I wanna hear the bonus tracks on the Deluxe album. I'm sure they'll be rad.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not gonna lie, Whitesnake has always been my favorite band. I have been really liking all of there latest records and this one, so far, is not disappointing me. I was the house stage manager at a venue they played here back in 2008 and Coverdale was one of the coolest mother fuckers I have ever met. :metal:

#3 ·
That's awesome! I'd love to meet David. He scooted out real quick after the show.
I am sure he would have been bombarded. Those women were about to steal Joel and rip his shirt off I swear...

Yeah man, I love Good to Be Bad and Forevermore so much. I wish Doug was in the band still.
However, this record makes me feel so much better about it. Especially since just about every song is really good. Wish they would have played more of the record.

#5 ·
Hmmm. I don't know if I agree. But I do know I do love him in the band.

#10 ·
Well, at least we can agree on Sykes. Right? Nobody will top him in Whitesnake.

And I need to re-watch Live in the Still of the Night. Been a while.
Sykes was perfect for WHITESNAKE. It's a shame there was only record of his Originals. Blue Murder's Debut was perfect however.

#11 ·
Truthfully, I love every Era of Whitesnake for different reasons and I love there is so much variety of well-crafted songs.

#20 ·
That's not really Arabic, :lol: Double Harmonic Minor is just a western invention that sounds vaguely "exotic". :lol: Love Whitesnake, but I can't stand hearing stuff in that kind of tonality anymore. Too hokey. I mean, the first time I heard it at 16 it was like, "What is this?", but every time hearing anything with the double harmonic/byzantine/hungarian type shit these days it loses appeal exponentially.

I made the mistake of calling it Arabic to actual Arabic friends years and years ago. It's basically like approaching a Chinese person and being like, "I love authentic Chinese food like Panda Buffet." or telling a hispanic how much you appreciate their fine traditional Taco Bell cuisine.

"Standard diatonic western tonality with a flat second, raised/augmented third, and either a major or minor 7th meant to vaguely emulate exotic sounds" is the correct term. Trust me on that one. It can occasionally work in older shit, like Gates of Babylon or Scorpions late 70s/early 80s era, but the novelty wore off decades ago. Even if it wasn't already overused in more "classic" metal, extreme metal used it for like 75% of songs from 2004-2008.

[video] [/video]

The other stuff on the new Whitesnake is cool, but anything with the double harmonic thing going elicits a re-action of "Gates of Babylon was already written decades ago dude" with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.