Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Weirdest shit I've heard in a long time (Polyphia)

13K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  justin102798 
#1 ·
I guess you have to do stuff like this to stand out these days? :lol:

Came across them surfing Dimarzio stuff, and it's so bizarre. I can't even put my finger on what it is. It's instrumental bluesy jazz shred but with a dark undertone, quite a pop (almost disco?) groove to it.

It's certainly too weird for my liking, but credit where it's due for originality :lol:

All the weird shit aside, they've got some chops!

All the subtle tapping and harmonics and stuff is absolutely spot-on and a well-honed technique.

#4 ·
These guys are undoubtedly great players but I cant get into this at all.

If there was a template for what technical guitar music would look and sound like if it was created by Durham or St Andrew's university graduates exclusively, who flipped a coin over staying in the band or auditioning for a spot on made in Chelsea this is it.

#5 ·
I guess you have to do stuff like this to stand out these days? :lol:

Came across them surfing Dimarzio stuff, and it's so bizarre. I can't even put my finger on what it is. It's instrumental bluesy jazz shred but with a dark undertone, quite a pop (almost disco?) groove to it.

It's certainly too weird for my liking, but credit where it's due for originality :lol:

Yeah they have a unique style for sure and this GOAT Video the song is to me simply brilliant and refreshing. Don't like everything they do but denying they are making something new and inventive. SAying otherwise is lying.

#10 ·
Pretentious guitar Jazz fusion sucks.

Slapping on popping on guitar because "PROGRESSIVE" sucks. Not to mention tapping for the sake of tapping.

Material that uses TR-808 drum machines just to sound "commercial" to the club crowd fucking sucks.

They combined all of that and threw in a dude with anime hair?

You know, I thought I was going to hate it. But it surprised me, turns out, I really fucking hated it.

I'm sure they have a whimsical instagram presence though.

If I wanted to hear a metal band pushing the limits with jazz fusion freakouts/pop song hybrids I would listen to Shining (not the black metal one, the good one). Who are better at both ultra weird jazz and pop and don't have Roland drum machines just to be "commercial".

#26 ·
Considering their early djent roots, and we ridiculed them mercilessly for it, it's to be expected.

They ditched their cringe inducing Pokemon trainer image, instead evolved into a cringe inducing white boy hip hop riches & bitches image. And their sound has matured to less typical djent to the more clean dominant music. Still not my thing though, but their Ibby sigs look alright.

That said, I sort of want that T-Shirt on the Rig Rundown.