Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas on the oral history of "Smooth" - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas on the oral history of "Smooth"

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Lonestar

I enjoy Europa and some of Santana's early work. I'm not enamored of his later efforts with guest singers - including "Smooth."

I did like the beginning of "Put Your Lights On" - for one reason or another (doesn't hurt that Everlast's vocals are in my key) - but about halfway through the song, he pulls this WTF moment for what could be considered a solo and it loses me.

All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Carlos: You know that mode I play in every song I've ever written? I'm wrote a new song where I just play it over and over again.
    Rob: *unzips pants*
    ftfy
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

ME: Explorer Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    I enjoy Europa and some of Santana's early work. I'm not enamored of his later efforts with guest singers - including "Smooth."

I did like the beginning of "Put Your Lights On" - for one reason or another (doesn't hurt that Everlast's vocals are in my key) - but about halfway through the song, he pulls this WTF moment for what could be considered a solo and it loses me.
    Do you mean that bit at 2:20? That's "Saturday afternoon at Guitar Center" level shredding for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I dug "Put Your Lights On" and feel like it still held up pretty well, and there are a few ok moments here and there elsewhere on that album... But, overall, for me that sounds like an album where somewhere along the way someone told Santana he had a reputation for "really memorable phrasing," so he started intentionally playing lines that sounded really "phrased."
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    I remember the Supernatural interview with Guitar World where Santana was going off the rails praising Metatron. I knew all the hippie talk but this was a tad too out there.
    Which Metatron are we talking here? "Sacred Geomtery Metatron", "Conspiracy Theorist New Age Vegan Metatron", "Voice of God Metatron", Biblical Metaron described in scripture as ""flesh was turned to flame, his veins to fire. . . his eyeballs to flaming torches", "Hasbro Transformers Megatron whos name is clearly based on Metatron and may even be an alternative viable spelling of Metatron according to some questionably believable 'biblical scholars' who may or may not just be regular Transformers fans inaccurately portraying themselves as 'biblical scholars' "?

There is no shame in using an interview to praise the leader of the Decepticons.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

MeGatron is the leader of the Decepticons, not Metatron

"Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

that's just what the shadow government wants you to believe, jim....

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    "flesh was turned to flame, his veins to fire. . . his eyeballs to flaming torches"
    Man, it's a hot one.
    Argbadh - RHLC©