Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Line-Up?

ME: MIJ Charvel Socal
    MA: Wtf is an acoustic

Vocals: Chuck Schuldiner
    Guitars: Chuck Schuldiner and Erik Rutan
    Bass: Alex Webster
    Drums: Gene Holgan
    It would be eternal death corpse and it would be rad as hell.
    "Be excellent to each-other and party on dudes"-Bill and Ted 1988

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    All this Super Groups always remind me the Movies with all big stars... usually they are crappy movies
    I've been thinking about this question for a couple days right now with this in mind - not "who's my favorite musician for each instrument in a rock band," but "which musicians, if you put them together, have styles that would blend in interesting ways?

And really, it's a surprisingly tough question. I sort of arbitrarily started with George Lynch because he's a great player who isn't doing much of anything at the moment. I could see Dug Pinnick being an interesting compliment - both of their playing has a lot of groove to it while still remaining heavy. For a drummer who'd play off that well... Idunno. I sort of want to toss Danny Carey in here because he's such an out-there, inventive player, and I think he'd be worth at least an audition, but there's a ton of ebb and flow to his playing in Tool, and a very circular sort of feeling to the way he grooves, and he'd have to be a lot more on the beat, I think, for this to work, so it'd be a real wild card. If that didn''t work though, hell, maybe the dude from the Red Hot Chili Peppers - his playing was great on Satriani's last, and he's certainly familiar with groove-based hard rock playing. It would be a more natural pairing. Vocals I'd be less concerned - just a good hard rock singer. If Chris Cornell were still alive I could see him fitting in well here, maybe, but someone in that vein.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I've been thinking about this question for a couple days right now with this in mind - not "who's my favorite musician for each instrument in a rock band," but "which musicians, if you put them together, have styles that would blend in interesting ways?

And really, it's a surprisingly tough question. I sort of arbitrarily started with George Lynch because he's a great player who isn't doing much of anything at the moment. I could see Dug Pinnick being an interesting compliment - both of their playing has a lot of groove to it while still remaining heavy. For a drummer who'd play off that well... Idunno. I sort of want to toss Danny Carey in here because he's such an out-there, inventive player, and I think he'd be worth at least an audition, but there's a ton of ebb and flow to his playing in Tool, and a very circular sort of feeling to the way he grooves, and he'd have to be a lot more on the beat, I think, for this to work, so it'd be a real wild card. If that didn''t work though, hell, maybe the dude from the Red Hot Chili Peppers - his playing was great on Satriani's last, and he's certainly familiar with groove-based hard rock playing. It would be a more natural pairing. Vocals I'd be less concerned - just a good hard rock singer. If Chris Cornell were still alive I could see him fitting in well here, maybe, but someone in that vein.
    I was thinking more modern 80s

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Vocals: Kurt Cobain
    Rhythm Guitar: Karl Sanders
    Lead Guitar: Django Reinhardt
    Bass: Alex Webster
    Drums: Neil Peart
    Violin - Tim Charles
    Trumpet: Miles Davis
    Keyboards: Ludwig van Beethoven
    Djembe - Brandon Boyd
    Shamisen - Alejandro Emilio Garcia-Calabasas el Octavo
    Samples - Fred
    Cannabis - Bob Marley
    Mandolin - Steve Vai
    Beer Can - That clown dude from Slipknot

Truth be told, I wish Peart, while he pretty much quit touring, would still write/record/release music. And with anyone. Maybe...

Neil Peart on drums.
    Devin Townsend on rhythm guitar.
    Kevin Moore on keys.
    Maybe Mattias IA Eklundh on lead guitar, just to fuck things up.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    All this Super Groups always remind me the Movies with all big stars... usually they are crappy movies
    I think the only supergroup I've really ever spent any time listening to is The Damned Things. That album was super fun, but then really, aside from Ian from Anthrax, I couldn't name a single other dude in that band, nor any of the other bands they came from

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

This legendary picture.

The classic Slayer+Run D.M.C.+Beastie Boys lineup all under the supervision of Rick Rubin when he was still "good".

Ice-T with any thrash or death metal band is also a recipe for a magnum opus. Body Count is fun as fuck. Any band would work, Ice-T rules. Morbid Saint, Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, you name it. Throw Ice-T in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Vocals: Sir Russell Allen.
    Guitars: EVH or Nuno Bettencourt.
    Bass: Michael Anthony.
    Drums: Mike Mangini.
    I think you mean "Backing Vocals: Michael Anthony".

Legendary backing vocalists, not really a bass player...

Honestly, my real answer would be.

Vocals: Vince Neil
    Bass: Nikki Sixx
    Guitars/Dungeon Master/LARPing: Varg Vikernes
    Drums: Tommy Lee
    Management: Dave Mustaine

If Varg Vikernes was able to form the same kind of working relationship he had with Euronymous with Motley Crue......that would be just what the world needs right now.