MG.Org Facebook page? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: MG.Org Facebook page?

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    If I could only have one bike, it would probably be a gravel bike. In the very short term, you can buy a set of road tires and switch back and forth as needed (I did this for about six months). In the moderate short term (another six months), you can buy a lighter road wheelset (gravel wheels have tougher, heavier rims and a higher spoke count), mounted the road tires, and converted the gravel wheels/tires to tubeless. If you get one of the new 650B gravel bikes that fit up to a 2.1" cross country mountain bike tire, then you can cover a ton of ground with a few tires and a second (700c) wheelset.

For these reasons, the gravel bike has become the do it all bike. Pristine pavement, chewed pavement, dirt and gravel roads, fire roads, and light singletrack are all doable. They're actually replacing commuter bikes, since it opens up the route to different surface options.
    I dunno...riding dirt/gravel/etc. with road-style bars doesn't sound like a good time to me. I wouldn't think there would be the same amount of control compared to typical off-road bars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Here's a fun question... How do I buy a nice bike for me and my wife (with a baby thingie of course ) without peeving off my super-damn-nice new neighbor, who has ~60 broke-ass bikes in his backyard, who fixes them up to be slightly less shitty?

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Here's a fun question... How do I buy a nice bike for me and my wife (with a baby thingie of course ) without peeving off my super-damn-nice new neighbor, who has ~60 broke-ass bikes in his backyard, who fixes them up to be slightly less shitty?
    Easy. Buy a NICE bike, one clearly nicer than what he's selling, to the extent that he's easily aware that you were shopping for something he didn't sell. Tell him you're thinking of doing a triathlon or something.

If I could only have one bike, it would probably be a gravel bike. In the very short term, you can buy a set of road tires and switch back and forth as needed (I did this for about six months). In the moderate short term (another six months), you can buy a lighter road wheelset (gravel wheels have tougher, heavier rims and a higher spoke count), mounted the road tires, and converted the gravel wheels/tires to tubeless. If you get one of the new 650B gravel bikes that fit up to a 2.1" cross country mountain bike tire, then you can cover a ton of ground with a few tires and a second (700c) wheelset.

For these reasons, the gravel bike has become the do it all bike. Pristine pavement, chewed pavement, dirt and gravel roads, fire roads, and light singletrack are all doable. They're actually replacing commuter bikes, since it opens up the route to different surface options.
    For the most part I'll agree with this, though even with a decent lightweight wheelset and road tires, my Diverge is noticably slower than my Tarmac, even with the Tarmac's stock wheels, and not my fancy Enve aero wheelset. If I was concerned with versatility and not raw speed and wanted a jack-of-all-trades bike, a good gravel bike with a second set of wheels would be what I'd do. Seeing as I AM concerned about speed if at gunpoint I had to choose just one I'd probably grab something like the newest Tarmac, which can run up to a 32 tire and has discs, and just accept the fact that on really steep dirt climbs it'd be punishing, but it'd be fast as fuck on pavement.

I DO think gravel bikes are perfect commuter bikes - they're like hybrids, except they don't suck. Once I'm healed enough I'm hoping to start commuting in to work on mine.

Rob - honestly, it's not as bad as you'd expect. Road bars are narrower than mountain bars, so you're not going to have the same leverage and precision for slow-speed wheel finessing if you're trying to micro-steer around obstacles and whatnot, but it's also not really designed for that. On packed dirt, gravel, and even singletrack stuff, it handles pretty well for more flow-like riding. Then again these days I'm such a dyed-in-the-wool roadie that it just feels more natural to me to be on drop bars, while a modern MTB makes me feel like I'm striking a Jesus Christ pose, lol.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: BOSS guitar.
    MA: BOSS should make one.
    MB: pitched shifted with BOSS
    Rig: All BOSS. All you need.

I live in Illinois. Everything is either chewed up pavement or dirt, until you get to Chicago. Then it's pavement......with craters.
    I bleed BOSS blue. Yoshi Ikegami is my spirit animal.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by robanomoly View Post
    I dunno...riding dirt/gravel/etc. with road-style bars doesn't sound like a good time to me. I wouldn't think there would be the same amount of control compared to typical off-road bars.
    You need to pop up here sometime for beers and a noodle on my local trails, btw. I live on a ~15 mile system of gloriously cultivated singletrack.

Plus I haven't seen you and MrsAnomoly in ages and it'd be good to hang out.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Easy. Buy a NICE bike, one clearly nicer than what he's selling, to the extent that he's easily aware that you were shopping for something he didn't sell. Tell him you're thinking of doing a triathlon or something.
    A triathlon with the baby?

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Facebook is terrible for metal.

If you play metal and you post on Facebook, chances are you are just carpet bombing everyones' feeds with incessant self promotion.

Haven't really been on there in forever, but as far as metal goes it's all a circle jerk of self promotion. Especially for the Pacific Northwest underground scene. Actual content/discussion is rare.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Facebook is terrible for metal.

If you play metal and you post on Facebook, chances are you are just carpet bombing everyones' feeds with incessant self promotion.

Haven't really been on there in forever, but as far as metal goes it's all a circle jerk of self promotion. Especially for the Pacific Northwest underground scene. Actual content/discussion is rare.
    That's because there are no really good ways to advertise your music on Facebook. Back in the MySpace days, it was so much easier. I remember selling quite a few discs and getting a lot of people out to our shows pretty much for free. We used to run a bot that sent a quick note to a few hundred people in our area at a time that had been on fans lists for larger bands in our genre, and we repeated it a couple of times a week. Before we knew it we had a large local following and were playing much larger venues to more people. Nothing like that exists today. People make fun of MySpace, but it was the bomb for bands.