MG.Org Facebook page? - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: MG.Org Facebook page?

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    It's summertime... Always less traffic. Go play outside!
    We're all getting older. Message boards had their heyday around the time of YTMND and Ebaumsworld. Younger generations just don't use them, were never really exposed to them, and they're cumbersome as hell on phones. Everything seems to be centralizing in the major SM sites, though I do particularly love Youtube and Reddit just for the absolutely amazing bottomless pit you can find yourself in 3 hours later from where you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I think the bigger issue is with something like 15 years history between /7/ and MG, we've just run out of new things to talk about.
    Agreed, but I've also seen a pretty awful trend on the internet the past 5-6 years or so of musicians caring so much more about gear than actual music. I've always been an unabashed gear nerd, but hey I back it up by always looking for new bands, new music, and I constantly write music just to keep myself sane. For every 10 people that buy an Axe FX, I bet only 1 really writes anything with it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems shallow to me. It didn't feel like that back in the 90s or early 2000s, as I always had people around me and on the internet exposing me to new music, but that could just be a flawed/biased perspective too based on my own experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Agreed, but I've also seen a pretty awful trend on the internet the past 5-6 years or so of musicians caring so much more about gear than actual music. I've always been an unabashed gear nerd
    So much this

I'm guilty of obsessing too much about guitar shit, but it's finally over since a few months ago. I realized I need to ROCK OUT and not WASTE TIME!!!

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    I've been pretty happy with my setup and haven't felt the need to upgrade my current gear or purchase new stuff and I feel a lot of others hit that point too lol.
    Yeah, I'm basically there where all I really need is a some minor stuff at this point to fix up my project guitar. But, I'm set with amp, FX, recording gear, all that.

I've also seen a pretty awful trend on the internet the past 5-6 years or so of musicians caring so much more about gear than actual music.
    I've noticed the same thing - I don't know that I ever knew anyone back in the 80s/90s who had 40+ guitars, but they're everywhere in the FB groups I'm in. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seems to be more collector driven then "I need each of these to write songs" driven.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

This place went to shit the moment I stopped buying/selling guitars every other week.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Jackson SL3X
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

the only way i remembered to visit every day was when I had the mg.org homepage as one of the tabs that open right away when I start chrome. without that, its not something I just remember to go to. same with a bunch of other websites and forums. it doesn't attract my attention like the high-tech, addiction-inducing, algorithmic FB system. I went back to google homepage for a few months but just added MG and a few others back yesterday. I saw this thread and took the link to join the FB group. I think the forum just has much more in depth tools like quoting people or organizing pictures and videos into your posts. these things make it much better for real, deep discussion and well-formatted informational posting. FB's group system does have a search function but its really messy. no where near enough filters and the posts aren't organized enough to begin with. plus, on FB all I wanna do and see are memes and shitposting.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    So much this

I'm guilty of obsessing too much about guitar shit, but it's finally over since a few months ago. I realized I need to ROCK OUT and not WASTE TIME!!!

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    This place went to shit the moment I stopped buying/selling guitars every other week.
    I think this place officially went to shit the minute Cassidy posted up all his gear. The rest of us are classless mongrels.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I try to dish only the freshest memes
    You and two other people who are now snoozed for 30 days, and I'm sorry buddy, but it really has improved my facebook experience.

Agreed, but I've also seen a pretty awful trend on the internet the past 5-6 years or so of musicians caring so much more about gear than actual music. I've always been an unabashed gear nerd, but hey I back it up by always looking for new bands, new music, and I constantly write music just to keep myself sane. For every 10 people that buy an Axe FX, I bet only 1 really writes anything with it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems shallow to me. It didn't feel like that back in the 90s or early 2000s, as I always had people around me and on the internet exposing me to new music, but that could just be a flawed/biased perspective too based on my own experiences.
    There's probably something to that, though I'd argue that the irony is the larger platform forums give you is a large part of the reason we've seen that change. In 1991, if you bought your seventeenth guitar, you'd have a couple buddies to show it to, but for the most part your experience would jsut be pulling it out of its case every once in a while and playing. Today, every guitar you buy is good for a NGD thread with dozens of "Happy NGD!" posts, a youtube video or two, another picxture of your collection to share on social media, and if you have 40 guitars, a lot of admiring comments.

Hell, even I'm a little guilty here - I buy guitars for purposes and sell the ones I don't play, but in a pinch I could probably pare down to 2-3 electrics and an acoustic, from the 7-8 electrics I have today.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace