Queensryche Operation Mindcrime is the best Concept album. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Queensryche Operation Mindcrime is the best Concept album.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    As much as I love Seventh Son, it still is just a maiden album with songs that are only really tied together with lyrics.
    That's like, every good concept album ever. A bunch of awesome songs tied together by a regrettable concept.

Operation Mindcrime only works (and is one of my favorite albums, so not criticizing it) because they play the ridiculous story with a completely straight face.

There are very few concept albums where I am a fan of the actual conceptual plot involved. Chemical Wedding is one of the only ones I can think of. I have no clue what the plot of Seventh Son is beyond the basics. It doesn't really have a plot. Operation Mindcrime doesn't have a great plot, but a lot of the social commentary is on point, and every track that isn't an interlude is fucking awesome on its own merits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Also, Operation Mindcrime was unfortunately tarnished by an extremely ill advised and regrettable sequel. Which I believe was titled "Operation Mindcrime II: Escape from L.A./Electric Boogaloo".

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Also, Operation Mindcrime was unfortunately tarnished by an extremely ill advised and regrettable sequel. Which I believe was titled "Operation Mindcrime II: Escape from L.A./Electric Boogaloo".
    Operation Mindcrime 2 is absolutely terrible. It's like the Tokyo Drift of concept albums.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Dream Theater's spent the last 30 years trying to write Operation Mindcrime and failing.
    I don't know, dude. I'm not saying SFAM is Mindcrime level, but it's really, really damn good. And the only acceptable use of Rudess' goddamn-mother-fucking ragtime bullshit playing.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I don't know, dude. I'm not saying SFAM is Mindcrime level, but it's really, really damn good. And the only acceptable use of Rudess' goddamn-mother-fucking ragtime bullshit playing.
    I admittedly overstated my point.

I just meant that Dream Theater's method of storytelling seemed to heavily borrow from Mindcrime (and in fairness, both borrowed from Pink Floyd) and the storytelling part of it was never as good, nor did it evolve much despite the fact they've been a band and releasing material more consistently over the last 20 years.

As far as the music goes, DT also lifted a little bit of the style IMO but that comes down to taste, QR obviously has a lot bigger hooks and better melodies (IMO) but Petrucci was next level on that album, both playing and writing-wise.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Operation Mindcrime 2 is absolutely terrible. It's like the Tokyo Drift of concept albums.
    I like Mindcrime 2 :'(

I have to agree, Mindcrime is the best concept albums. There are a few that come pretty close, but just can't quite touch it.

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Suprised there has been no mention of The Wall.

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Mindcrime is a lesson in rock and metal songwriting. I learned so much from that album. Agreed, the best concept album ever, and one of the best albums ever.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate