Queensryche Operation Mindcrime is the best Concept album. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Queensryche Operation Mindcrime is the best Concept album.

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

I definitely have a soft spot for Dead Winter Dead, which only has a few weak tracks. The Wake of Magellan has higher highs but also some lower lows. Morphine Child off Poets and Madmen is like a concept album into itself.

In terms of obscure concept albums, Murder by Death's "Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them" is also great. It doesn't work too hard, has some great lyrics (like the song about people turning into pillars of salt and falling apart and the track about child zombies). It's basically about the Devil coming to a small desert town, being betrayed, and murdering most everyone. "That Crown Don't Make You a Prince" has an epic cello solo too.

https://murderbydeath.bandcamp.com/a...e-left-of-them
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The Perfect Element is awesome. I actually didn't know those two Opeth albums were concept albums. The run of albums from MAYH through Blackwater Park is just brilliant.
    Yeah, Still Life is about someone who has been banished from his home, because he doesn't share their beliefs. Then all hell breaks loose when he returns for his wife/girlfriend/whatever.

MAYH is about a a guy who returns as a ghost to haunt his lover.

Of course when you write it like this the concepts sound ridiculous, but I think they're both really well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Ghost Reveries is the best Opeth concept album. Best Opeth album period.

Although MA, sort of admitted it was a looser concept album than some of the others. I stand by calling it the best Opeth album though. Fucking amazing album.
    Nah, Ghost Reveries is great (I like everything up till and including Watershed), but MAYH to Blackwater Park was Opeth at their peak.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: '87 Duesenberg
    Rig: MP-2 + TSR-24S + Vortex

Absolutely agree on the Mindcrime album.
    They performed this very album live here in Copenhagen (touring with Metallica, AC/DC, Georgia Satellites), and were amazingly great.
    Know Thy Self. Know Thy Law. Do What Thou Wilt

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I absolutely love Wake of Magellan, it's my favorite 'Tage album. Fantastic concept album, extremely cool concept story, and the fact that they work it into TSO shows these days has been a treat every time I've seen them.
    "Runaway reason, Runaway Seasons, Time is a Treason that I give back to you now."

I don't know... That might be my favorite Concept Album. There are some perfect songs on that album.

However, back to Mindcrime, those dual leads are absolutely perfect and "I Don't Believe in Love" is such a raw riff.
    I remember the first time I listened to Mindcrime all the way through and I adored it. Probably going to have to do that later today.
    Live back in the day those guys were just untouchable. It's a wonder they weren't bigger.

If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Such a killer album. Front to back and EVERY aspect of it, the writing, the performances, the production, it's all perfect. Obviously, Geoff Tate knows this because he's out there again touring the album...again.

The Wall and Scenes From A Memory hold slightly higher positions in my book because anything Gilmour has played on trumps anything by anyone, ever. SFAM hit me and my bud like a two ton heavy thing when it came out. We were 18 or so and already enamored with DT and when that album came out it was just so perfect for us that it's ALL we listened to for around 2 years after. I've said it before here, but I was at both the Roseland shows and you can spot me on the Live Scenes From NY DVD in a few spots, which is an awesome memento of an AMAZING night and puts that album/era in a special spot in my head.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Mike beat me to it, but Chemical Wedding is about the gnostic mythology of William Blake.

It's definitely a concept album. Especially when it gets into Gates of Urizen and Book of Thel, those are the two conceptual centerpiece ones. Gates of Urizen is one of my favorite songs of all time, really weird stuff conceptually.

If you are into that stuff it's interesting, William Blake was a character to put it mildly.

Your a learned/scholarly dude, so I would say a cursory acquaintance with his ideas is a good thing to have. He's regarded as one of the great British thinkers by many. Some of the stuff is relatively common knowledge, like Dante's Inferno level ubiquity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia...%27s_mythology

Actually, a lot of Bruce Dickinson's songs on his other solo albums relate to that or similar stuff as well. "Darkside of Aquarius" is on Accident of Birth (second best solo album behind Chemical Wedding) and also ties into the same kind of scholarly religious stuff.
    Oh, no, I knew it was a lot of Blake's poetry set to music. I've just always thought of a "concept album" as more in line with the "rock opera" sort of thing you get in Tommy and The Wall. I actually agree with your characterization here, I just think it's kind of an interesting take on what a concept album can be - it doesn't have to be a story, it could be music with a different thematic connection.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

I'm not much for concept albums... most just fall flat.

However, I'm a big fan of Operation Mindcrime - the rest of the catalog can go fuck itself - and Suite Sister Mary is my preferred section of the album. I Don't Believe in Love is my second favorite track.

The Wall eats OM alive. For sheer musicality, story, and execution, it's an album that stands head and shoulders above others without mentioning that it's a concept.
    The Echo Chamber keeps you safe from hurtful thoughts and words.

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    In terms of obscure concept albums, Murder by Death's "Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them" is also great. It doesn't work too hard, has some great lyrics (like the song about people turning into pillars of salt and falling apart and the track about child zombies). It's basically about the Devil coming to a small desert town, being betrayed, and murdering most everyone. "That Crown Don't Make You a Prince" has an epic cello solo too.

https://murderbydeath.bandcamp.com/a...e-left-of-them
    Wow, that is really good. Thanks for posting that.

Here are a couple suggestions for more obscure stuff:

Dynfari - Four Doors of the Mind. It is about Patrick Rothfuss' theory. Very, very good.
    https://dynfari.bandcamp.com/album/t...rs-of-the-mind

Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth. I don't know that I could accurately describe the concept, but man this album is as close to perfect as you'll find.
    https://wilderun.bandcamp.com/album/...e-of-the-earth

Lor - In Forgotten Sleep. These guys do a proggy powermetal, and they're incredible. I couldn't accurately describe the concept for this either, but it is worth the listen.
    https://halloflor.bandcamp.com/album/in-forgotten-sleep