WALK - What Makes This Song Great? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: WALK - What Makes This Song Great?

Ahahaha, well that's how the majority that even know who we are probably think. Lucky thing have started charging 20 years ago and now Portugal exploded in Turism so probably the entire World knows or have heard of us. Spain tried to rule us many times but kept getting their asses kicked all over until one day we lost our 14 year old King on a battle in North Africa (body never found, new studies suggest Spanish imprisoned him as anonymous) and the bastards took power and ruled us for 60 years. That until a bunch of Nobles decided it was enough and throw out of the windows the count in charge in Lisbon yes they literally did throw him into the mob outside

Then the Spanish decided it wasn't worth it anymore ahahaha.

Once a Roman Emperor or general said: There are this people in Lusitania /how it was called our region) that dont rules themselves but don't allow other to rule them, inf act to be conquered by the might Roman Army our pastor chief that reunited all the tribes had to be betrayed for the Romans to get him, we did guerrilla warfare against the Roman Army, Ambushing them and slaughtering them with stones on no exit canyons

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I think we can all agree... fuck the Romans

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I forgot how cleavagey that movie was.
    I've never seen it, but I think I will now.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Walk represents everything I hate about what Pantera became. Cowboys was filled with cool, thrashy riffs and actual singing. Walk is that same dumb lick over and over, with Phil's dumb he-man growling and grunting all over it. That was the end of the band for me.
    I like all of Pantera's music. Cowboys is sick, but the other albums have inspired some really shitty bands even If I dig the albums themselves.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Eh... I have so much to say on this subject but I don't know if it's worth the energy

If I try to remain objective, and ignore the fact that I'm a massive Dimebag fan, it's quite clear to see that the dude was just a big dumb sweetheart. Look at interviews, read editorials he wrote for Guitar World... The guy's a self-proclaimed "spaz" (something he'd be equally as denigrated for saying these days). He really wasn't the cleverest guy, bless him. No evil. None. You can tell he just loved what he did, loved people, and was just a bit too much of a simple Texas boy to understand the wider impact of his surroundings.

The flag thing, ugh... Wishful thinking tells me it was more for geographical pride than any sociopolitical connotation. I hardly think the man was capable of thinking about it that deeply. I'm sure someone probably told him it was inappropriate, and I'm equally as sure that his defense was "huh? I'm from Texas, boy!"

Too ignorant, too simple, frankly too dumb to shake his cultural upbringing. I'd be incredibly surprised if any of it was done with any real malice.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    "Walk" is about how you should Walk away if you even think about questioning Pantera's toughness.
    Actually it's about coming back from a long tour cycle after the initial success of CFH, and realising all Phil's friends had changed their behaviour towards him.

"Mouth For War" is a screed about how you shouldn't get mouthy with Pantera because Pantera are very tough.
    It's about channeling anger.

"5 Minutes Alone" is about how if you doubt Pantera's toughness, they will only need 5 minutes alone to convince you otherwise.
    This was from an incident where a fan got injured at a show, and their father went after them in the media, and was quoted as saying he'd like 5 minutes alone with them (to kick their asses)

"Drag the Waters" is about people who should be ashamed of themselves, because they are not tough, like Pantera.
    This is about insincere people, snake-like personalities, liars etc. To "drag the waters" means to do some digging on someone, where-in you may find some shonky business going on.

"Goddamn Electric" is about how everyone is a poser, but Pantera, because they trust in "whiskey and weed and Black Sabbath". That song is incredible, because they managed to make whiskey, weed, and Black Sabbath sound uncool.
    This is just a cheesy ode to heavy metal.

"Revolution Is My Name" is a self aggrandizing rant about how someone (presumably named "Revolution") is going to change the world by being tough.
    Yes, this is just a "look how great we are" track. But it's fucking great.

Nice try(s) though
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

Location: Ybor City, FL, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Dimension C-132
    ME: Ibanez RG90 & RG9
    MA: Ibanez RA100
    MB: Ibanez BTB7E & BTB7F
    Rig: Custom Built PC

My favorite part of 'Walk' is where Rick Beato didn't talk about it. That shit rocked.