WALK - What Makes This Song Great? - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: WALK - What Makes This Song Great?

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Yeap, he never sang like he did on CFH for the other records.
    He did before tho!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    After Cowboys from Hell, pretty much every Pantera song revolves around the same concept. The concept of being tough. There is like, zero variety. Cowboys from Hell is interesting.
    Yep. I liked Pantera back in the day as much as every other metalhead. Sick riffs, great songwriting. These days I am not a fan - in hindsight I think they're just a bunch of obnoxious tough-guy racists, and no matter how good your guitar player is - if you have a racist skinhead frontman warbling about how badass he is, I want nothing to do with your music.

And IMO you don't get into a band with someone as awful as Phil Anselmo if you're not at least on his level just a little bit.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Especially if one of your sig guitars is plastered with that stupid Confederate flag.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Especially if one of your sig guitars is plastered with that stupid Confederate flag.
    ROBERT E LEE WAS A NOBLE SOLDIER WORTHY OF MANY SCULPTURES

Maybe he is just a Dukes of Hazzard fan/general moonshine enthusiast?

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yep. I liked Pantera back in the day as much as every other metalhead. Sick riffs, great songwriting. These days I am not a fan - in hindsight I think they're just a bunch of obnoxious tough-guy racists, and no matter how good your guitar player is - if you have a racist skinhead frontman warbling about how badass he is, I want nothing to do with your music.

And IMO you don't get into a band with someone as awful as Phil Anselmo if you're not at least on his level just a little bit.
    Pantera opening for Sabbath in 1998 is honestly one of the worst sets I've ever witnessed. They were horrible, and it was about 70% because of Anselmo. What amazes me is how much influence his shitty yelling/screaming style had on metal. Arguably more influence than Darrell's playing.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Pantera opening for Sabbath in 1998 is honestly one of the worst sets I've ever witnessed. They were horrible, and it was about 70% because of Anselmo. What amazes me is how much influence his shitty yelling/screaming style had on metal. Arguably more influence than Darrell's playing.
    He's pretty good when he's sober, I saw him with Down and it was a fucking awesome show.

No racism on display either, but maybe I was in the bathroom when he said something like, "WHEN I SAY STATES...YOU SAY RIGHTS" to the crowd.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    He's pretty good when he's sober, I saw him with Down and it was a fucking awesome show.
    I was shocked when I finally heard the Power Metal album and learned that Anselmo had actually been a (good) real singer at one point. Such a shame that someone who could legitimately sing metal would use his voice to sound like a drunken frat guy heaving into the john at 3am.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    like a drunken frat guy heaving into the john at 3am.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.