Stuck Mojo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Mojo

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I spun some Stuck Mojo a few months back for essentially the same reason. I don't really have any qualms with the vocals (rapping), but the MIX on those albums stick it right in your face when it's the least impressive part of the band. I actually enjoyed these live videos a lot more than the last couple times I spun the album for exactly that reason.

I might be in the minority but you look at that recent Body Count disc, and they were able to deliver the same vocal style overtop of a metal band without it losing it's heaviness but those Stuck Mojo discs sound like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cameo band.
    I would pay good money to see that. I have zero problems admitting that, at 36, I still love the Ninja Turtles.

I've been wanting to check these guys out for years but didn't know where to start. Definitely dig the music but could do without the rapping. That's Clint Lowery's brother on bass, isn't it?
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I would pay good money to see that. I have zero problems admitting that, at 36, I still love the Ninja Turtles.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    That's Clint Lowery's brother on bass, isn't it?
    It is indeed, funny thing is I always think I of it as Sevendust is Corey's brother's band.

About the mix, they're probably starting to get dated now, but at the time they sounded monstrous. Pigwalk was produced by Devin Townsend when the label first started trying to pimp him out for cash, the other 'classic albums' (Rising, HVY1 & Declaration of a Headhunter) are all Sneap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I had never checked them out, thanks, his tone is killer.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: PRS SE CU24
    MA: Cole Clark FL2AC3-BB
    MB: MM Sterling Ray34
    Rig: AFX2/GT800FX/PPC412

The squeals in Mental Breakdown are one of my favs!

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Yes yes yes, and more yes. Fanboy rant ahoy...

First time I heard SM was in my (then) bassist's car on our way to practice when I was about 17. He was blasting Twisted, and I heard the groove and the those pinched harmonics and was like holy shit who the fuck is this!?

Stupidly, I'd bought Fozzy's "Happenstance" album a month earlier, but because that album is 90% covers I hadn't put two and two together that it was the same band but with a different singer

We all throw the word "underrated" around all the time, but Rich Ward truly is the most tragically unheard of player in heavy metal history. Period. His tone, his phrasing, his groove, and his ability to write melodically (see: Fozzy's originals) is seriously like nobody else. He's a massive influence on me, way more than I tend to talk about, so I'm just as guilty as the rest of the metal community for not spotlighting this motherfucker like he deserves. He's an unbelievable shredder too.

It's just a shame that he started a band with a rapper. Stuck Mojo aren't like other "rap metal" bands, inasmuch that the instrumentation is just pure heavy metal. The other rap metal bands changed the way the guitar sat in the band. It was used like a turntable, or when there WERE riffs they were subservient to the other stuff, overly simple and without any real flare. But with Mojo, if you muted the rapping, you've got a straight up heavy metal band. And a fucking amazing one at that. Awesome riffs, sick drumming, solos... but the rapping made them so niche that the metal world went "eww what's that?" and didn't give them any credit.

Having said that, yes it's a little dated now, those early albums suffered from budget constraints, and the production is massively sub par. For my money, the peak was Rising and Declaration of A Head Hunter, both produced by Sneap. Pigwalk was produced by Devin Townsend, and was great, but has it's weak moments.

As for gear: As far as I'm aware, Ward has always used his trusty 50w JCM800 into a T75-loaded 4x12 for all recordings. Live these days he's using the EVH stuff I think. He was on a Laney kick for a bit but I don't know if that's still ongoing. Guitar-wise he's mainly a Gibson guy, and mainly Les Pauls, though he started out with an Explorer which was his main recording guitar. He also uses Charvels (whoop!) from time to time. I guess it changes depending on whether he's out with Fozzy or with Stuck Mojo.

If you happen to search for Stuck Mojo on youtube to check them out for the first time, please ignore the new stuff If it's got a white guy fronting the band? Avoid. It's awful. I hate it. They were meant to have a comeback with the original guy but it didn't work out due to past relationship constraints rearing their ugly head.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    As for gear: As far as I'm aware, Ward has always used his trusty 50w JCM800 into a T75-loaded 4x12 for all recordings. Live these days he's using the EVH stuff I think. He was on a Laney kick for a bit but I don't know if that's still ongoing. Guitar-wise he's mainly a Gibson guy, and mainly Les Pauls, though he started out with an Explorer which was his main recording guitar. He also uses Charvels (whoop!) from time to time. I guess it changes depending on whether he's out with Fozzy or with Stuck Mojo.
    Yeah, he's a bit of a gear-whore, the Duke of Metal JCM800 had a Soldano Hot Mod in it, he moved over to Splawn briefly in the early 2000's, he was with Laney when I was in around 2012, he also uses a Kemper for direct sound in the US and Bias Amp in Europe.

He's said conflicting things about the guitar that did the classic albums, at one point he said it was the '76 natural top (I still want one of those after seeing the 'Live in the Headbangers Ball studio' videos), and at another point he's said a lot of it was done on the Explorer (I have some bad phone video of him playing that one at The Underworld on the re-union tour). Around that time he was also playing a Zakk Wylde Camo Bulls-eye that Zakk gave him, and I know since then he's had the blue sparkle standard and his current 76 standard, with a Moderne making a live appearance every now and then. On his solo stuff, he was using Tom Andersons for a little while and as you say, he seems to be pulling out a Charvel every now and then.

Pick-up wise, the earlier Mojo stuff was a JB, but for a long time now he's been playing Parallel Axis.

ME: Les Paul

The only rap / metal or should I say rap / hardcore I can still get into is a defunct local NJ band. Typical youth driven tough guy stuff but I dig it.