Ted Nugent ranks his guitar playing, manages to look more clueless than usual - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ted Nugent ranks his guitar playing, manages to look more clueless than usual

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I don't give a shit about the politics and anti-drug stuff. The reality is that Nugent was never more than a slightly above-average player by mid '70s standards. He had some good songs on his few few solo albums (not just "Stranglehold"), but his playing was never 'all that'.

My favorite Nuge story is one that Frank Marino tells. Apparently, Terrible Ted used to prank his opening acts by having his amp wheeled quietly out on stage during their sets and then come on and challenge them to a "guitar duel." He did that exactly once to Frank, who (not surprisingly) completely destroyed him. You'd think that the Nuge would have figured out during the tour that he wasn't even in the same time zone as Marino in terms of guitar technique, but I'm thinking that self-awareness is not one of Ted's strengths...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would like to see stricter penalties and a more cut-and-dry way for police officers to stop and arrest stoned people behind the wheel though.
    They have their hands full enough with alcohol and people who think dividing your attention between 5 different phone apps and the road is safe on interstates.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    My favorite Nuge story is one that Frank Marino tells. Apparently, Terrible Ted used to prank his opening acts by having his amp wheeled quietly out on stage during their sets and then come on and challenge them to a "guitar duel." He did that exactly once to Frank, who (not surprisingly) completely destroyed him. You'd think that the Nuge would have figured out during the tour that he wasn't even in the same time zone as Marino in terms of guitar technique, but I'm thinking that self-awareness is not one of Ted's strengths...
    Apparently it was even worse when the support act was Black Oak Arkansas and he tried it with a then-teenage Shawn Lane...
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    To test for jazz cabbage consumption, your car is outfitted with a bag of Doritos. If the bag is untouched, you probably didn't imbibe.
    It's actually harder than alcohol, because weed is mostly identifiable by smell, and people who have smoked weed and people who have been around people who have been smoking weed smell pretty much the same. Especially in areas like Denver, and especially in crowded places like concerts. Not only are you definitely going to smell like weed, any shirts you buy at the merch stand are going to reek of weed.

I've had my car searched twice coming back to Wyoming from a Colorado concert. The awkward part is always having to tell the cops your story and then they'll ask, "Oh yeah, what concert?" and you name the band, and they'll be like, "What kind of music do they play?" and you'll end up having to explain some weird sub-genre they've never heard of to them at like three in the morning.

I was riding with a friend who got pulled over after coming back from Carcass's reunion tour and the only thing it resulted in was us having to explain what grindcore and melodic death metal were to him at like 3 in the morning.

If you get your car searched, and you are innocent, you just basically stand around watching a cop clean your car feeling kind of bad for them. (If they aren't a douche)

Since weed was legalized in Colorado the amount of stops by Wyoming Border Cops that end up turning up nothing because the person is innocent of everything except visiting Colorado.

Like, the third time I got stopped it was by a cop who had stopped me before, and he was like, "Coming back from a Colorado concert?" and I was like "yeah" and he was like, "I checked out that band you mentioned last time I stopped you at home, and it's not my style. You're free to go."

Also in other interesting cop news, once I rented an Air BNB in a remote area of Montana that ended up being owned by the town sheriff and his wife, and I had to fly out to see Iron Maiden in Colorado and I approached them ahead of time and was like, "Yo, I'll probably smell like weed coming back" and his wife didn't end up being home, so I talked to the sheriff and he was super cool so I was like, "While I'm talking with you, can I ask about the legality of bullet belt guitar straps?"

So now I know all the ins and outs of which bullet belt guitar straps are legal and which aren't. Of course this was a Montana Cop, so it pretty much boiled down to, "It's your god damn right to carry any bullet belt guitar straps you want."

It just ended with me saying, "So basically what you are saying is the only thing that's criminal is using a guitar strap that doesn't have bullets?" and he was like, "You're god damn right."

He also almost deputized me, because they had this unruly dog, and they were driving in front of me, and apparently there was a rule about not having the windows in their SUV open because the dog will jump out of moving cars. So I see their dog fucking hurl itself out of their moving car and run into the wilderness. And since I was renting for them I was like, "shit, I better help them out". So I pulled over and I was like, "You want me to help find your dog?". And he was like, "If you want to search out there I would have to give you a gun, and if I gave you a gun I would have to deputize you." Luckily, before I was deputized he got a call from someone who was like, "Yo, your dog just fucking ran into our yard."

This was the area of Montana Far Cry 5 was based on, coincidentally.

i mean ... i live in vancouver so even the cops smell like weed most of the time
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    They have their hands full enough with alcohol and people who think dividing your attention between 5 different phone apps and the road is safe on interstates.
    No shit. The rise of distracted-by-phones driving is why I sold my last motorcycle. People are absolutely always staring at their fucking phone, it's infuriating.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    didn't they just pass something that says you can carry a Kilo with you for personal use if you use more than 100 grams a day.

100 grams.

A day.

3.5 ounces.

PER DAY.

for personal use.
    I leave it to you bc folk to know this stuff 🤣

I'm not too sure. That amount would last me well into my 50s lol.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No shit. The rise of distracted-by-phones driving is why I sold my last motorcycle. People are absolutely always staring at their fucking phone, it's infuriating.
    The problem about weed, which the brilliant Uncle Ted doesn't seem to grasp, is that once it's made legal, efforts to regulate it aren't "War on Drugs" fighting against street level criminal with loose ties to foreign cartels stuff anymore, once it's made legal to sell, it's "War on Capitalism/Free Enterprise groups who have their own lobbyists". Once you make it legal it is immediately protected by popular Right Wing theories of free enterprise. So concerns like driving under the influence get opposed by legitimate businessmen. Government officials (especially right wing ones) have no problem standing up to street level criminals, especially the ones that cite the "broken windows" type dogma, but getting right leaning people to stand up against legitimate businessmen? Good luck. In a state like Colorado, once it's made legal, it's not the dope fiend idiot stoners who are in charge, it's capitalists looking to make money.

I was actually super worried about driving in Colorado after it was made legal. There have been some studies that show Marijuana legalization has no effect on raising the percentage of crashes, some studies that say it raises them ~5%, and some studies that say it's impossible to say if marijuana raised the percentage of crashes, because if you introduced something like a super delicious variety chocolate milk into a state, more people in car crashes would test positive for it because more of the population is using it and it's not necessarily indicative of it being a cause.

Anecdotally. All my friends and family in Colorado are pretty much completely unconcerned about it, which I don't get, but whatever. They're more concerned about the fact that rent prices are going up like crazy.

Which is another reason you won't see bureaucrats wanting to crack down on things like driving under the influence of marijuana or regulate it more than a minimal in states where it's legal. It drives Real Estate prices up like fucking crazy.

It's ironic that Ted is ranting against it immediately after talking about how great an unregulated free market is. Right wing free market fetishists fucking love legalized marijuana. You have $600k properties growing to over a million in a span of 3 to 4 years. Valuing economic growth over human safety is basically Capitalism 101. Old school Right wing types may hate weed. But they definitely love valuing economic growth over human safety.