Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Tool album title & release date!

4K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
#9 ·
It's better than anything off god awful 10,000 Days. That sounded like A Perfect Circle trying to be Meshuggah.

#7 ·
I have to hear the rest but it is what it has to be, a TOOL song. I can see it two ways, one is that when its been so long there will be newer fans that have not heard so much of their music that find it fresh and cool. Others, like many of us, have heard it before so its like Chris said, like stuff from the last album. In the past I have told my non-musician friends who want a new album from their fav bands every 2-3 years, to understand that as a group of people a band will only have so many great things to give. We want artists to give us that feeling we got "back in the day" but we have usually got all the variety they can give, new stuff can be just as cool but we are used to it so it just may not give us that same feeling as past things.

I think fans will dig it as well as new listeners, and others will see its repitition and say ahhh no thanks. Either way its good to see them finally put it out.

#12 ·
I own every single Tool album and EP released so far except 10,000 days (which isn't a lot, really, especially compared to bands that have been around as long as they have and put out 15 or 20 albums). I guess I just didn't really care for the songs I heard before and when it came out. If they had come out with this album two years after that, I would definitely be more interested (especially considering how much I listened to Aenima and Lateralus), but it's 2019. Unless it's mindblowingly amazing, I probably won't buy it. :shrug:

#15 ·
Well, it's 2 less than 1024, which is 1MB. If you divide one megabyte by 2 you get 512. This is Tool's 5th full length, and it's been 13 years since their last album. So, clearly Tool is telling us that there has been a time travel paradox and the space-time continuum has broken, as this album actually came out last summer, 12 years after 10,000 Days was released.

#16 ·
Came to shitpost, but I am genuinely interested in hearing some new music from them. I'm expecting very little, as my Tool tastes grew tired with Lateralus, which I found too prophetic, and not kick-ass riffy enough. Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima still get regular play, and I just pretend they retired after that :lol:

#21 ·
The more I listen to it the more I like it, though I can see why people might not care for it. It took me a while to get into ‘10,000 days’ but I eventually grew to really enjoy that album and again I can see why people didn’t like it...

I guess we’ll see when the album is out, but if this is a representation of the general feel of the album I expect it’s going to a divisive one. I do wonder how different the reception might have been had they not left it so long.

#24 ·
I was a bit underwhelmed and kept waiting for the four-on-the-floor part to happen. Might work better in the context of the whole record, which has changed my opinion on songs in the past. It's the first song on the record, so I'm hoping everything following kicks it up a notch.

Maynard is in his 50's now so I very much don't expect to hear the same kind of angst that was heard on the first 3 records. For the past 10 or so years, he's been relying on the megaphone sound through entire sets, which is a big bummer. The last few shows they played, though, he started rippin' into it and actually screamed without any filtering/megaphone BS, which gives me hope that next time I see them, they'll be in good shape. I know when I go a while without screaming or singing aggressively, it takes me a couple weeks to get back into it....and I don't have to worry about saving my voice for continuous gigs.

Dug the mix on the new one, the drums were so up front, especially towards the end in what's probably the catchy part of the song.

#25 ·
Well i checked out the album today. I'll probably buy it once more reasonably priced (not £80) physical copies become available. My review:

It's good, not amazing, I enjoyed it all the way through. However, it lacks the buildup followed by crescendo that made tracks like the patient, pushit, lateralus, third eye, reflection and right in two etc amazing. Instead, it often seems to build up to nothing or a brief section of heavier riffs which arent unenjoyable but arent utter triumph moments like the final chorus on the patient. They have solidified an undeniably individual sound (including tones and production) over the years and I like the production on this, it is what I want a Tool album to sound like.

Regarding complaints i've seen about there being lots of tracks that arent actual songs (similarly to 10,000 days), there is still over 40 mins of 'songs' on this so I dont think there can be much complaint there. A lot of bands would simply release this as 4 tracks and still call it an album.

I guess I also enjoyed the similarities to lateralus as it took me back to my high school days where my main worries were chasing girls and sports....

6 or 7/10. If had to pick a tool album to listen to repeatedly Id reach for this over all their releases (including Undertow *gasp*) other than Lateralus and Aenima.

#28 ·
I got about halfway through it and genuinely couldn't hear the difference between the main tracks. They all feel sort of the same, as in slow to start, then sloowwww burn. Definitely warrants another few, but I'm not all that impessed. But I fully admit to just generally not liking Tool very much.

I feel like a lot of the Tool-core bands are better than they have been.

#34 ·
My buddy gave me a copy of the album last week, I dig it. It's pretty much exactly what I expected after hearing Maynard tame his vocal parts live over the last 13 years + where they were going with the softer tunes on 10,000 Days. Maybe it's because I haven't listened to much instrumental stuff lately that I find it welcoming, even when Maynard's singing, it's not in your face in the mix or delivery.

The mix is fucking stellar. Big Wreck dropped a new album yesterday as well and the mix is fucking HORRID. Like Death Magnetic might have a bit more headroom than this Big Wreck album.

#36 ·
I tried buying a physical CD of it yesterday only to find out that they only released physical copies in that outrageous limited edition piece which sold out. No one has any idea when a regular CD might be released. That's some pretentious bullshit right there. I hate buying through iTunes.

#37 ·
I did think that was weird, until I realised I don't actually have anything that plays CDs anymore... I do however still have a bunch of CDs that I can't play, I feel I should get rid of these now. :lol:

Anyway, I can't help but feel that people who are into physical media these days are way more into Vinyl anyway, certainly at our shows we sold out of Vinyl way before CD... I can only assume that it's the same for Tool fans who are super pretentious. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.