Saw AIC/Korn on Sunday night

Thread: Saw AIC/Korn on Sunday night

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Saw AIC/Korn on Sunday night

This was the 4th time I've caught AIC and to be honest, I'm not sure I'll bother next time they come around. For 20 something years I've said they're my favorite band of all time but it doesn't feel like that to me anymore. DuVall does an amazing job in the band and I really dig the records they've done with him, but it's not the same band I fell in love with. You know what you're going to get at a Chains show if you've seen them once already and that's boring me these days. Love hearing Cantrell's playing live, but the last two times I've seen them I was straight up bored.

I've seen Korn 5-6x, but hadn't seen them in over 15 years. Initially, I HATED them. I was full on in my Dream Theater/Vai phase when my friends were trying to shove the first couple Korn records down my throat. I wasn't having any of that shit. Then they put out Follow The Leader....and follow I did. They've always put on amazing shows, even when they were all fucked up on speed and booze. Their live sound is pretty ridiculous, to say the least. I'm a huge Ray Luzier fan and he just goes OFF live...such a great fucking drummer. Munky busted out the black 7-string JEM Vai gave him, it was pretty cool to see that.
    They played a pretty long set and I was surprised how well that whole electronic period of songs worked into a live show. I suppose it's easier with 2 guitars again.

I'll go see them anytime, anywhere. There's a lot of nostalgia that comes along with that band for me. I don't own any of their CD's anymore, but they were a huge part of my favorite teen years. I miss so much about the mid-late 90's.

I also saw Blink182 last Thursday. They're my fiancee's childhood favorite band and watching her get that excited is one of my favorite things to see. It also helps that Travis Barker also goes the fuck off live. He plays maybe 2 measures of a verse or chorus then just tears it up until the next section. I guarantee that dude plays a different show every night he plays. Not really a favorite of mine as a band but I know a bit of their history and their shtick/stage banter in the past, which felt pretty forced, both times I've seen them. The guy who replaced Tom DeLonge (can't remember his name but he's from Alkaline Trio) doesn't sing in the same register as Tom and they're playing down at least half a step, creating a really dull version of their pop punk thing. Barker was worth it alone, though. I barely even paid attention to the other guys.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Dave Friedman blames the new FOH guy for AIC's sound not being as good lately on a ToneTalk episode with the guy they used to have FOH (that was a really great cast, actually, highly informative).

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Dave Friedman blames the new FOH guy for AIC's sound not being as good lately on a ToneTalk episode with the guy they used to have FOH (that was a really great cast, actually, highly informative).
    They still sound great, especially Jerry's tone, I just really prefer Layne over DuVall. I'm not taking anything away from DuVall, he's outstanding and ridiculously consistent. There's just a vulnerable feeling in Layne's voice that completed the AIC package for me as where DuVall comes from a more confident place. I'm stoked the band can still sell albums and tickets and most of the last 3 albums have been great AIC tunes. It's kind of like other guys playing David Gilmour's guitar parts; they'll play all the right notes and get the tones 90% there, but it doesn't feel the same to me by any means.

I'll check that ToneTalk out, though. I enjoy every episode I watch, to the detriment of my fiancee...."Wait...these guys just build amps? And talk about building amps?" Yeah, but babe, they build fucking AWESOME amps and have worked with every one of my heroes, they might talk about them!

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson LP P90
    MA: Sigma D-10
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

The FOH engineer's mix was not good. The most obvious issue was one of the floor toms was like 3x louder than the rest of the kit. Jerry's guitar tone and playing is still fantastic. Overall a decent show, but sad it was only an hour long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The FOH engineer's mix was not good. The most obvious issue was one of the floor toms was like 3x louder than the rest of the kit. Jerry's guitar tone and playing is still fantastic. Overall a decent show, but sad it was only an hour long.
    Sounded fine to me out on the lawn, but I also had a few cocktails in the parking lot before I went in.

We'll have to meet up at a show sometime!

ME: Blackat D6
    MA: Kremona Rosa Morena
    MB: LTD FB-204
    Rig: Fractal Axe FX II

I saw AIC in 2010 at the DC Chili Cook-Off. Black Gives Way to Blue album was still relatively fresh. It was a really good show actually. Brought back the feelings and nostalgia of the 90s. They sounded great as I recall and had pretty good energy. STP came on after them and it was a disaster. Weiland was by all means already dead by then. Sad.

I know I wasn't that interested in their new album but also know how a live sound engineer can kill a bands sound when on tour. Sucks when that happens.

ME: Gibson LP P90
    MA: Sigma D-10
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Sounded fine to me out on the lawn, but I also had a few cocktails in the parking lot before I went in.

We'll have to meet up at a show sometime!
    I know they have a delay line feeding the lawn so it could had been some processing that brought the the tom more in balance but in the amphitheater it was rough to listen to.

Yeah we should link up sometime.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I'll check that ToneTalk out, though. I enjoy every episode I watch, to the detriment of my fiancee...."Wait...these guys just build amps? And talk about building amps?" Yeah, but babe, they build fucking AWESOME amps and have worked with every one of my heroes, they might talk about them!
    Have you introduced her to the wonder that is Rowley Birkin, QC?

ToneTalk is often a riot in that respect!

I think Friedman scared himself on his bender with Jake E Lee, though.